× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 New Firmware Released 1.0.1.70

SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

RAX80 New Firmware Released 1.0.1.70

I just manually checked for new firmware version and 1.0.1.70 was available. I just updated from 1.0.1.56 which seemed the most stable for me with no lan / wan disconnections. The prior version 1.0.1.64 would disconnect my lan / wan connection which did not work very well for VOIP. Hoping the disconnections / reconnections issue is solved in 1.0.1.70 but release notes were mainly for security and fixing minor issues.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 60
nikebum
Tutor

Hi Sam_the_Gam

i was wondering how the upgrade to 1.0.1.70_1.0.30 was, i have had most of the same issues mentioned by others in a very long thread. I have rolled back ect. 

I called Netgear as i really just do not want this unit anymore and have spent countless hours fixing or fighting with other household members over it not working. however if there is an improvement i would prefer to hold onto the unit as when it is good it is good, but then something happens and it kills the network, i have improved many network issues by simply assigning static IP, and have some managed Netgear switches that improved the wired devices.

i often encounter issues on the Apple and Samsung devices when using apps, not necessarily web browser, but then it is so randomly occurring simply turning wifi off/on on the mobile devices resolves it for a period of time.

i am still on  V1.0.1.64_1.0.27 For my RAX80, and would be greatly appreciated if you could share if any noticeable difference in wifi.

Cheers

Message 2 of 60
ChAKiBrOs
Guide

Speed cap problem still persists

Message 3 of 60

Yet another failure on Netgear. Firmware upgrade available .... would you like to upgrade?

Well, Yes I would like to upgrade .... "This process takes about 2 minutes to complete."

15 minutes later the router rebooted and is stuck in a blinking white/orange power light ... This was supposed to go from .64 to .70. Done with it ... 

Message 4 of 60
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ChAKiBrOs wrote:

Speed cap problem still persists

I still see it also. Had to Enable and then Disable QoS to get full speeds.

Message 5 of 60
ChAKiBrOs
Guide

Enable QOS can get full speed but cap after timesync. Enable/disable QOS is not working for me.
Message 6 of 60
GabboCH
Apprentice

Can someone share the release notes?
On the support website it's still showing 64 as the latest firmware.

In an exchange with level 2 support 2 days ago they told me they had no information from the Engineering Team regarding the Wi-Fi connectivity problems & didn't mention this new firmware....

Will be interesting to know if the Wi-Fi connection it's stable with this update...
Message 7 of 60
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

@GabboCH wrote:
Hereshowing 64 as the latest firmware.

In an exchange with level 2 support 2 days ago they told me they had no information from the Engineering Team regarding the Wi-Fi connectivity problems & didn't mention this new firmware....

Will be interesting to know if the Wi-Fi connection it's stable with this update...

Here are the release notes listed for upgrade to 1.0.1.70 from 1.0.1.56. I had to downgrade to 1.0.1.56 again because LAN / WAN are still disconnecting then reconnecting at random times causing internet disconnections on Ethernet / Wi-Fi

1.   [New Features] Adds an option to show or hide the wireless password on the Wireless Setup page.
 2.   [Bug Fixes] The Wireless Setup page displayed the wrong channel list for the 5GHz band.
 3.   [Bug Fixes] The GUI contained language translation errors.
 4.   [Bug Fixes] Other minor bugs.
 5.   [Bug Fixes] If the device name on Attached Devices page was changed, rebooting the router restored the device name back to the default name.
 6.   [Bug Fixes] If the router's GUI language was set to Chinese, the language changed back to English after the configuration file was restored.
 7.   [Bug Fixes] The success page displayed a "Page not found" message if a non-English browser was used.
 8.   [Bug Fixes] Fixes minor bugs.
 9.   [Bug Fixes] Fixes security issues.
 10.   [Security Fixes] This firmware fixes security issues.
 11.   [Bug Fixes] The correct 5 GHz channels now displays when the Korea and India regions are selected.
 12.   [Bug Fixes] The default Beacon interval is now set to 100 and the DTIM is now set to 3.
 13.   [Bug Fixes] Improve 2.4GHz Auto channel selection algorithm.
 14.   [Bug Fixes] Client devices with only IPv6 address are now able to access the router web interface using www.routerlogin.com.
 15.   [Bug Fixes] Fixes minor bugs.
 16.   [Security Fixes] This firmware fixes security issues.
 17.   [Bug Fixes] The block service feature does not work properly if WAN aggregation is enabled.
 18.   [Bug Fixes] The 2.4 GHz and 5GHz bands are not selectable when bridge mode is enabled.
 19.   [Bug Fixes] Fixes minor bugs.
Message 8 of 60
GabboCH
Apprentice

Doesn't seem so convincing as the only real change concerning Wi-Fi was the auto channel selection update from 64 which didn't seem to work (at least channel 1 selected in auto mode gave me non connection from all my devices).

It's also very helpful to just write, "bugfix" or "security" update in the notes...
The products I work on don't go to thousands of consumers but I'd never write that as a release note for a change request.

I'll try it next week & see how it goes for a few days...
At the first sign of dropouts it's back in the box.
Message 9 of 60

@GabboCH wrote:
On the support website it's still showing 64 as the latest firmware.

The release notes:

1.   [Security Fixes] This firmware fixes security issues.
 2.   [Bug Fixes] The block service feature does not work properly if WAN aggregation is enabled.
 3.   [Bug Fixes] The 2.4 GHz and 5GHz bands are not selectable when bridge mode is enabled.
 4.   [Bug Fixes] Fixes minor bugs.
Message 10 of 60
GabboCH
Apprentice

Doesn't sound like any attempt to fix the real problems.....

I flashed this firmware yesterday, (what a horrible process with the Nighthawk app.... Please wait 2 minutes to check you are connected to the network we just asked you to connect to...), no way to skip any of the task, no way to choose router or access point mode...)

I will connect it to my network on wednesday to see if its any better than before.....

Message 11 of 60
Axe59
Aspirant

Me too. How difficult can it be when we know the manual work round (QOS toggle) to fix it. Guess the % market running this box on unlimited fibre is not enough to be bothered with. Will not buy another netgear router or switch after this though.

Message 12 of 60
GabboCH
Apprentice

I had confirmation this morning from my support case worker that the firmware 70 doesnt attempt to fix any of the (not yet accepted) Wifi connectivity issues.....

Message 13 of 60
Stianu89
Tutor

Do not Update! Worst performace yet. And you cant downgrade firmware anymore! Thats it! Ive had it for 6 months hopping they will fix the issues with this router! Gonna file a clam to get my money back as this is the Worst router ive owned!
Message 14 of 60
GabboCH
Apprentice

I upgrade to the firmware 70 this morning (factory reset, upgrade via nighthawk app, change SSID & set as access point) & almost immediately I have problems with the LAN connection not being able to maintain a connection.

The LAN port LED goes on-off-on-off every 30s and my devices are disconnected like the cable is unplugged.

I put back the EX8000 I was using previously (with the same ethernet cables) and there are no problems with LAN connection...

Due to this & the previous reply from my support case I didnt even bother to test the Wifi properly, Im pretty sure it still wont work....

Message 15 of 60
GabboCH
Apprentice

Question for the people using firmware version 50.

Is it actually stable (Wifi and LAN) and do you have a reliable Wifi connection with this firmware (no reconnections, hannel hopping etc)?

Would ideally like SmartConnect to work as well so I dont need to reconnect all my devices to different SSIDs...

Message 16 of 60
nikebum
Tutor

So I implemented the upgrade of the firmware and it was not off to a great start, I'd also seen the replies on here,which are generally helpful.
I have done some further work and tweaks to the NG switch gs108tv2 that I've implemented, as having these in place prior to the update had substantially improved the network; from file transfer to NAS, media to TV's, web browsing and apps to IoT. (Side note: may or may not relate to my network issues, I also discovered an issue with Google home that I corrected and that is much better for the IoT side of things, as much as I'd say resolved the provider updates can also cause issues.)  

Still the main issue I have are the Apple, Samsung mobile devices and some other wifi (not all,Xbox, wifi lights seem better) still getting stuck. By stuck I mean they can appear to be online and working for a single app or web browser, but going off wifi and back on the devices are sent notifications & messages for the network or outside that should have been delivered prior to disconnect.
As I mentioned earlier, when it works it is great, but when it stops it then causes issues with my home business and security system. I do not have an alternative at this stage and will monitor over the next few days, being holiday season it is hard to get time to pull out and put back a new device.

In terms of work arounds, the price point and clearly advertised benefits of this device are misleading and false for which as a consumer I have actions of recourse, refund, repair or replacement. Based on the information here it does seem that refund is the only option as the firmware updates have not resolved this.
Also I have not and will not turn off the features I bought this for, maybe if a single firmware caused a single issue as a temporary solution, work around like static IP, or port forwards are fine. This unit has been shaky from day one, so I have tried and waited for a rectification to the issues of the wifi. If there was an actual syslog I could see it would be useful, this is the first router I've had which has a  rudimentary one. @GabboCH @Stianu89 @Axe59 @FredAloneForEve 

Message 17 of 60
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've had to do 4 factory resets in 24 hours due to issues on new firmware.... not sure why so hard to get basic features working. I got mine on sale but still feel paid too much for amount of issues and lack of communication from Netgear.

Message 18 of 60
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

@nikebum wrote:

Hi Sam_the_Gam

i was wondering how the upgrade to 1.0.1.70_1.0.30 was, i have had most of the same issues mentioned by others in a very long thread. I have rolled back ect. 

I called Netgear as i really just do not want this unit anymore and have spent countless hours fixing or fighting with other household members over it not working. however if there is an improvement i would prefer to hold onto the unit as when it is good it is good, but then something happens and it kills the network, i have improved many network issues by simply assigning static IP, and have some managed Netgear switches that improved the wired devices.

i often encounter issues on the Apple and Samsung devices when using apps, not necessarily web browser, but then it is so randomly occurring simply turning wifi off/on on the mobile devices resolves it for a period of time.

i am still on  V1.0.1.64_1.0.27 For my RAX80, and would be greatly appreciated if you could share if any noticeable difference in wifi.

Cheers

I had to downgrade to 1.0.1.56 because the LAN would periodically disconnect / reconnect causing loss of internet connectivity. Then the WAN devices would also periodically discoonect / reconnect causing loss of internet. Everything for me has been stable so far with 1.0.1.56 for the past 6 days. 

Message 19 of 60
Seperis
Guide

This is going to be long getting to the point, but if I'm wrong, I went someone to be able to tell me where, or be able to recreate the steps next time they flash back and have access to telnet, which I would kill for right now to see what's going on in the logs. It's possible to fix the access control/attached devices problem. Maybe.

So I just got this router on Saturday and pretty much hit all the problems, especially attached devices and my regular log showing about thirty entries of nothing but the date Wednesday, Dec 31,1969 18:00:00 at random intervals,. I factory reset, telneted in to clear the NVRAM, installed the original firmware release, and spent the last few days testing to see what was going on and took notes. Today I finally came back to the latest firmware for a bit because I was about ninety percent sure the problem was something was causing an overwrite of the NVRAM in the ac_dev_names variables at different points in the strings except--for some reason--the first six devices listed in ac_dev_names. Not a javascript or json, either, so not something I could correct myself.

I saved and examined the nvram eight times and those first six devices in 0 were the only part that never changed. I also saved multiple versions of update_device_info.log and device_detect.log from /tmp so I could see what was happening between changing the name, it showing up in /tmp/devices.json, and then being populated into /tmp/AttachedDevices. I learned one, someone didn't know how to spell Attached; two, groups is misconfigured in /etc but as it's read only, I couldn't fix the problem with 'guest' ; and three, the process wget-device runs in conjunction with get NTP time every three seconds according to the update_device_info. log, which seemed excessive, with _Agent.isStartChecking:0 running right before wget-device every fifteen seconds. This weirdness with time also appeared in device_detect.log, but it was arps every six seconds with random time travel to January 2016 and September 2018.

Anyway, I decided to try again later when I felt like bringing down my entire network and rebuilding it again, updated the firmware to current, noticed Access Control was screwing with the names again and went to play with the Nighthawk app because my profession is software testing and mobile app testing and this is how I have fun. I filled in all the devices in the app to the correct name and give them random device types and turn remote management on and off, yeah, there's not much to do there When I went back to the main browser interface, though, attached devices were--well, not right, but all the names matched the app even if it thought half my devices were Fire TV 4K Generation 3. Access Control was perfect; all my names were exactly as I had entered them. I went to attached devices, tentatively fixed the device type and model, it all stuck. Access Control stuck. While I was looking at settings in the online gui wondering about witchcraft, I noticed ion the NTP page that Daylight Savings Time was unchecked, which has also kept happening like a lot. I turned it on (again), went to verify some wireless settings, and then went back to Attached to see my devices progressively becoming unknown, and Access Control as well. I recreated all my app steps, no go, then I remembered how weird it was that NTP was running every three seconds during device detection, remembered this thread where someone said their speed was throttling at time sync even after the QoS toggle, and turned off Daylight Savings Time and recreated my steps again in the app.

Roughly three hours and change later (as of now), Access Control and Attached Devices in the online GUI are unchanged from what I entered in the Nighthawk App this last time, except what I've edited in attached devices for model and device type every so often to see if it holds and adding a device in Access Control. So its sticking, at least for three and change hours and counting. Still getting the December 31 1969 entries in the log, though. So this might fail at the four hour mark, but I thought I'd share in case someone else can use this.

Message 20 of 60
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

I wonder if the errors occur with time sync only using default Netgear server? I noticed sometimes when looking at Time Sync setting page that it said could not connect to the Netgear server.... maybe we should use a non Netgear one like time . google  . com to see if that fixes some issues.

Message 21 of 60
nikebum
Tutor

Thanks @xjn @Seperis i also had NTP issues and since setting it to my NAS things have definitely improved with the time issue.

Being away over the last couple days, the network remained ok with my roommate not reporting any issues or needing to restart, but also communication that i should have received while away from the network, working as expected. 

In addition my home automation worked as expected with the SmartThings ADT arming and disarming correctly as well as the thermostat. 

Again though upon returning the issues remained in the mobile devices by Samsung and Apple.

i have had a somewhat stable network for all other devices for a few days now without requiring a restart. 

Message 22 of 60
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mine is fairly stable too. I still seen the random LAN disconnects at least once a day it seems... also still have the QoS issue. The WiFi is working pretty well using two separate SSIDs... I have not tried Smart Connect due to the trouble it causes and I don't mind having them separate so have more control over what devices connect to. 

I am getting about 940Mbps during speed test over Ethernet. On WiFi I am getting about 435Mbps.... I have one AX device that was getting 750Mbps to 800Mbps, but after adding more devices it never seems to get speed that high anymore even if the other devices are in standby.

I am not sure if it's router issue or device issue... I see the link rate is reported as 1200 for AX device currently.... not sure what it was when was getting 750Mbps... seems that the MIMO may not be turning on correctly cause I only have 5 devices connected on 5Ghz and most are in standby. If I turn off other devices completely I still do not see the 750Mbps again so not sure what changed.

Message 23 of 60
cliff344
Apprentice

Where are you guys finding this firmware release?  I cannot find it anywhere?  Did they pull it already? Was it just a beta? Link?

Message 24 of 60
Seperis
Guide

Related to my earlier post: A quick fix for Access Control names/Attached devices Nighthawk App apparently does not have the same problem with persistence of naming, kudos to the app developers for managing that. When your names mess up in the online GUI, go into the app, click on the name, and switch its device to something vaguely related, and save. Name is fixed in both Access Control and Attached Devices. Won't help with actual device type ,but it will fix the friendly name.
Message 25 of 60
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7