× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 Short Disconnections

dixonjd2
Tutor

RAX80 Short Disconnections

Once or twice a day my router (RAX80) will disconnect all LAN inputs for about 1-3 seconds. Not long enough to cause long term issues, but just long enough to disconnect my work VPN or drop me from any game servers I am on. Modem is CM500 and no issues have been detected with it. No WiFi signals get disconnected, only those that are hard wired. I have tried changing the MTU size to optimal levels (currently at 1496). A router reset fixes the problem for about a day then it will happen again. Anyone else experiencing this and have a fix?

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem, RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dixonjd2, 

Thanks for taking the time to post. Would you mind telling me what firmware version the RAX80 is currently on? 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 8
dixonjd2
Tutor

V1.0.1.64_1.0.27

Message 3 of 8
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am on newest firmware and still see the disconnects but not as often as before... as you said only seems to apply to wired devices. It seems to happen at least once a day if not more. I did not see this issue when originally got router in February/March... I have not rolled back to older firmware cause do not want to lose security updates. 

Message 4 of 8
ubedawg
Star

@dixonjd2    Is this still occurring?  If so, can you go into Advanced settings, Administration, Logs, and look for instances of [Internet connected] happening at the time that your Ethernet gets disconnected?   Having a similar issue and now I'm wondering if I should just go wireless on my console to see if that stops me from being booted out of online games.  Because of the [internet connected] being logged in the router log, I assumed that it was a disconnect between the modem and the router.  Never occurred to me that it might just be wired connection.  

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 8
dixonjd2
Tutor

Hi @ubedawg,
I can tell you that it is for sure just wired devices. I have been working with netgear on this for months. We’ve run debug logs to capture when it happens, we’ve tried reflashing at lower firmwares, we’ve even tried a brand new router and modem. It seems to be a problem with the RAX80. Our latest step was to turn off UPnP and that fixed the problem for about a week but it is back in full force again. If you go wireless for gaming (which is what I did) beware of lag spikes. For some reason I was getting insane lag spikes even though my console is a foot away from my router. At least I never got DCed though.
Message 6 of 8
Chocobofarm
Guide

I am having the same issue : short disconnects that only affect devices connected via ethernet cable. I've been browsing through the forums and it's really frustrating to see that this has been an ongoing issue for many users for such a long time. Is Netgear doing anything about it? Users who have gaming consoles or a gaming PC will want a reliable wired connection with the router. Does anyone know if Netgear has acknowledged that this is an issue with the RAX80?
Message 7 of 8
GabboCH
Apprentice

As above, there are many people in the different threads in the forum with exactly the same problem.

I ran Ethernet cable round my house to hardwire TVs & consoles because of the problems the RAX80 has with WiFi connections only to find that the LAN connection was even worse.

I provided debug logs to Netgear but had no feedback.

It is not possible that Netgear don't know about this issue, it's been occurring for so long, but they won't acknowledge any of the problems.

The only solution is to buy a different router.

I am using a Netgear EX8000 extender (WiFi 5) in exactly the same position in my network & it's worked perfectly for months so it's clearly a RAX problem.
Other users have given good feedback with Asus & Archer WiFi 6 devices.
If you want any kind of customer support I'd recommend to avoid Netgear...
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7