× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 Slow Wired Speeds vs. Modem

spikyllama57
Aspirant

RAX80 Slow Wired Speeds vs. Modem

I currently have 1000/1000 service through an ISP called EverywhereWireless. I have my router plugged in to an ethernet jack that supplies the speeds to my unit and from the jack itself, I'm getting around 800/800 (this is due to my building having some wiring issues that are getting resolved to provide the full speeds).

However, through the router hardwired to my Mac running 10.15.3, I'm only getting around 500/700 speeds. Trying through a PC running Windows 10 also nets the same results. The upload speeds are pretty close to what I'm getting through the jack, but the download speeds are significantly slower.

I'm not running QOS or Traffic Meter

Currently running FW 1.0.1.70

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
zmon
Guide

Re: RAX80 Slow Wired Speeds vs. Modem

It's sort of a known issue at this point. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX80-slow-speeds/td-p/1802095/pag...

You can enable, then disable, QoS and speeds will go back to normal for a short time. Restarting the router also has the same effect. My own RAX75 just halves the download speed for the most part, while upload is pretty much typical of what I'd usually get.

Message 2 of 7
spikyllama57
Aspirant

Thanks for the link! I might try one of the suggestions which is manually set the bandwidth - but if, like you say, it's only a short-term fix, then maybe a different router is the actual solution for now...

Just disappointing that there are so few AX-capable routers and I thought I was future-proofing myself by picking up the RAX80.

Message 3 of 7
LastStand
Initiate

I've have the same problem.  The router (RAX75/RAX80) can't exceed 480-530Mbps via Ethernet even with 1 gigabit service.  I can plug in my old ISP router and instantly get 1Gbps, switch it over to RAX75 and get about half the speed.  Same cables, same server, etc.

I've been fighting this thing for months and should've returned it.  Sadly, I'm passed the return window (and the 90 day support window - $400 router but only 90 days?).

Anyone considering buying the RAX75/RAX80 should avoid if you have or ever are planning on getting Gigabit Internet Service.  So far the Router cannot saturate this speed and after numerous firmware updates, it hasn't been fixed so it may even be hardware/design related.  I hope it can be fixed via firmware but I'm probably just going to buy another $400 router from another company and take a sledge hammer to the RAX75/RAX80.

Message 4 of 7
LastStand
Initiate

Just to update:  Netgear Support was unwilling to escalate my ticket to a Level 3 tech without first going through the RMA process.  So I had another RAX75 shipped to me, swapped out my RAX75 for the one received from Netgear and performed speed tests.  Still the WAN download speed maxes out at around 490-510Mbps via Ethernet.  Replacing the RAX for ISP Router and I get the 1Gbps WAN download speeds.

Now double-confirmed it is the Router and/or Firmware.

A $300-$400 Router shouldn't have these problems and I find them unacceptable.  If you have, or ever plan on getting, Gigabit Internet Service, I highly recommend buying a Router from a different manufacturer.

Message 5 of 7
mayeen12
Star

I finally fixed my problem 

Final Results, I'm getting FULL 940 to 985 MBPS download (From Internet & Internal NAS Drive) - both in wired and wifi mode.

PLEASE NOTE** All my clients are wired or AC or AX devices.

Step 1 - Get the latestest firmware 

Step 2 - Turn OFF QOS

Step 3 - Turn OFF Traffic Meter

Step 4 - Turn OFF Access Control

Step 5 - Test you MTU from a wired connection > https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router

Step 6 - Adjust your MTU settings >> https://kb.netgear.com/24015/How-do-I-change-the-MTU-size-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Step 7 - Use WiFI Analizer - FIND THE BEST CH for WiFI - I put AUTO for 2.4 and CH36 for 5ghz 

Step 8 - ENABLE BEAMFORMING > DISABLE MUMIMO > ENABLE AX

Message 6 of 7
FinnedM91
Aspirant

This solution worked for me, thank you very much!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7