× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 WiFi can't see Apple TV

bevant
Apprentice

RAX80 WiFi can't see Apple TV

Has anyone used the wifi function on the RAX80 and managed to see their devices on the network?

I installed it and I couldn't see my printers and Apple TVs on the network, i.e. can't print and my Apple TV Remote app cannot discover any of my Apple TVs. 

I changed my wifi back to my old R8000 router and the devices showed up right away!

I called Netgear support and the useless woman on the phone kept saying she doesn't understand what I meant by "cannot see" the devices. She even asked me if I'd contacted the device manufacturers. 

And her suggestion to try to solve the problem was to change the DNS to 8.8.8.8.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
bevant
Apprentice

Re: RAX80 WiFi can't see Apple TV

Ok, I don't want to offend anyone...so I'll try to be diplomatic here but yes, all the devices are connected to the network. I never said "WIFI can't see Apple TV", I said when connected to the wifi on the RAX80, "I can't see my devices" like Apple TVs and printers. 

By "seeing", I mean the devices are ALL connected to the RAX80 network but when I try, for instance, to print from my phone, I cannot "see" my AirPrint enabled printers, i.e. none of them showed up in the list of printers. 

By "seeing", I mean when I go into the Apple TV remote app, it showed none of my Apple TVs in my network. 

Why would I call Apple??? This is an RAX80 issue!

My point being, when I connected ALL my devices back to my old R8000 router (using the same network name and password), all the devices are connected and can "see" each other.

So, changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8, re-booting the router, calling my printer manufacturers and Apple had NOTHING to do with it. 

I think I realised since posting this that the issue is probably related or similar to others complaining about the devices being disconnected from the network randomly. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies

@bevant wrote:

I called Netgear support and the useless woman on the phone kept saying she doesn't understand what I meant by "cannot see" the devices. She even asked me if I'd contacted the device manufacturers. 

I'm with the support woman. What do you mean "WiFi can't see Apple TV"? That's not how it works. Your TV sees the wifi from the router.

I also agree with her about talking to the device manufacturer. What does Apple say?

Devices will not show up in the router's "attached devices" list until they connect to the network.

Have you done that? Can anything connect to the wifi? Does it show up?

This bit offers a tiny clue:

@bevant wrote:

I changed my wifi back to my old R8000 router and the devices showed up right away!

These things are not "plug and go". If you replace one link in the chain you have to restart the lot. The quick start guide for your router will explain the correct order for this. Find that here:

>>>RAX80 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

When you have done all that, you need to introduce the TV and the printer to the new network. I assume that they are wifi devices, but that's just a guess. If so, you will need to go into their network controls and change the settings to the new network. If you set up the wifi on the new router with the same SSID and password as the old one, that might make life easier.

Message 2 of 7
bevant
Apprentice

Ok, I don't want to offend anyone...so I'll try to be diplomatic here but yes, all the devices are connected to the network. I never said "WIFI can't see Apple TV", I said when connected to the wifi on the RAX80, "I can't see my devices" like Apple TVs and printers. 

By "seeing", I mean the devices are ALL connected to the RAX80 network but when I try, for instance, to print from my phone, I cannot "see" my AirPrint enabled printers, i.e. none of them showed up in the list of printers. 

By "seeing", I mean when I go into the Apple TV remote app, it showed none of my Apple TVs in my network. 

Why would I call Apple??? This is an RAX80 issue!

My point being, when I connected ALL my devices back to my old R8000 router (using the same network name and password), all the devices are connected and can "see" each other.

So, changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8, re-booting the router, calling my printer manufacturers and Apple had NOTHING to do with it. 

I think I realised since posting this that the issue is probably related or similar to others complaining about the devices being disconnected from the network randomly. 

Message 3 of 7

@bevant wrote:

I never said "WIFI can't see Apple TV"ly. 

Check the subject of your message.

Message 4 of 7
bevant
Apprentice

Why don't you read the actual content.

Message 5 of 7
bevant
Apprentice

Are you with Netgear support? Do you solve support issues just looking at the subject or do you actually read the details?

Message 6 of 7
bevant
Apprentice

@michaelkenward wrote:

@bevant wrote:

I never said "WIFI can't see Apple TV"ly. 

Check the subject of your message.

By the way, the subject says "RAX80 WiFi can't see Apple TV", not "WIFI can't see Apple TV". The subject is an abstract of the issue, which can be ambiguous, even if I add a couple of punctuation marks. 

But I don't think most people would look at the subject and conclude what the problem is. 

I also think when someone says "I installed" the new router, it's a given that all the devices are configured and connected etc and not just simply take it out of the box and plug in the power and say "it doesn't work". 

If you are following any of the RAX80 topics you would know the RAX80 is fairly buggy and not focusing on just the subject. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7