× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 Wired Connection Speeds

mnarlock
Aspirant

RAX80 Wired Connection Speeds

I apologize if this is in the wrong board. I have a brand new RAX80 and am connected to an XFi modem in bridge mode. If I run speedtest from the Nighthawk GUI (advanced>Setup>QoS Setup>Take a Speedtest) I get download/upload speeds of 920Mbps/42Mbps. If I run the same speedtest from a wired PC I get 523Mbps/42Mbps. Why is there such large discrpancy in download speeds? My PC is equipped with a I219-V ethernet card.  For what it's worth, if I plug directly into the modem, the speeds wired speeds are 920Mbps. So I must conclude the Nighthawk is doing something, but what???

Firmware Version
V1.0.1.64_1.0.27

Thanks for the help.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
GabboCH
Apprentice

Re: RAX80 Wired Connection Speeds

There's the same issue reported for the RAX120 where the lan speed drops by about half.
There were some suggestions that turning off QoS fixed the problem but this didn't seem to be a solution for all.

Just another issue in the long list for the RAX devices....
Message 2 of 10
Cookmaster301
Aspirant

Yeah I just put this router in and I get 450 hardwired and 70-90 wireless even on 5G

On 2.4 it’s only like 25

This thing is a turd so far
Message 3 of 10
mnarlock
Aspirant

I did find that turning on/off QoS really did help. My speeds are as expected now.

Message 4 of 10
Cookmaster301
Aspirant

I tried that also and didn’t affect it at all. Maybe this thing just sucks. Guess I will put my ole trusty luxul back in
Message 5 of 10
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Try going into setting and enable QoS.... wait a few minutes.... then disable QoS. After doing that should get full speeds... if not try it again and should fix it. If you reboot the router have to do it again. Seems QoS gets enabled even though it shows as disabled so only way to turn it off is to turn it on, wait, and turn it off in GUI.

Message 6 of 10
Cookmaster301
Aspirant

Yup tried that and still only get 90 down. What a aggravating pos
Message 7 of 10
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Cookmaster301, 

May you try reverting to the previous firmware version to see if the issue persists. And just to confirm, all speed tests have been done through the Nighthawk GUI? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061097/RAX80-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-62

Christian 

Message 8 of 10
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello Cookmaster301, 

May you try reverting to the previous firmware version to see if the issue persists. And just to confirm, all speed tests have been done through the Nighthawk GUI? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061097/RAX80-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-62

Christian 

It happens on every firmware. I reported it back around March and it seems everyone with gigabit internet is having issue... has the engineering team even tried to reproduce issue? I find it hard to believe so many people report the same issue and nothing is done for a whole year. People are literally returning the routers and all year only thing you guys can say is reset it or revert it which has clearly not solved the issue for anyone. Multiple threads about same issue and even the RAX200 seems to have same issue even though it just came out! 

Message 9 of 10
Cookmaster301
Aspirant

I will try that this weekend but I agree with the post above that holy crap you guys need to step your game up.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7