× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 & Smart Lightbulbs

Casseau
Guide

RAX80 & Smart Lightbulbs

Hello,

I have a RAX80 router and have been trying to configure some smart lightbulbs to work with it over the 2.4 Ghz feed. Anyone have issues with this?

I have another router that I tested with that only has 2.4Ghz and it works just fine. Using globe suite and while the lights are in pairing mode I initiate a scan and it never picks up anythign.

Router itself works fine as i have devices connected on the 2.4Ghz as well as the 5Ghz band.

Any ideas are more then welcomed

Thanks

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX80 & Smart Lightbulbs

When you're setting up the lights, make sure your phone is on the same 2.4ghz as the router. 

I've had to disable smart connect and leave the 2.4ghz with the same ssid as the network will have. Then get it setup. once their connected, you should be able to turn smart connect back on. 

Another option? set your other routers ssid/password to the same as the RAX. Once the devices are setup/connected, turn it off and the rax back on. it should autoconnect to the RAX ssid if it was setup the same. 

Message 2 of 15
Casseau
Guide

Hello,

Thanks - I disabled smart connect early on as it wouldn't connect otherwise. My ipad/phone is connected to the same 2.4 Ghz wireless that i want the bulbs to connect too. I tried manual as well as scanning for the devices. It just doesn't see them.

I could try your other suggestion just a bit of a pain as i have many other devices setup to connect to the router

Thanks

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

Have you tried disabling AX or disabling ofdma? 

Message 4 of 15
Casseau
Guide

I have not - it is only using the default settings. Think this might help?

Message 5 of 15
plemans
Guru

worth a shot. Its a pretty simple check.
If it doesn't work, try setting the speed of the 2.4ghz network down through the wireless settings. I had 1 odd light that I had to set my speed down when I was using a C7800. Once I got it connected I could turn the speed back to normal as well as I've swapped routers numerous times since without issues.
Message 6 of 15
Casseau
Guide

I tried disabling that setting - not sure if related or not. But i got two to work. Many attempts later still only 2 our of 6 get picked up. As far as setting to 2.4 - you mean settings both bands to that?

Message 7 of 15
plemans
Guru

I mean the speed setting on the 2.4ghz. from the drop down box through the browser. do the lights setup through a phone app? Any way to shut off the working 2 and try to install them in pairs/singular? 

Message 8 of 15
Casseau
Guide

I tried setting it to the lowest setting still no dice. Its the 'globe suite app' which is available for androis and ios. Madening when i switch it do the wifi that comes with shaw (ISP) and connects all 6 in no time at all.

Message 9 of 15
plemans
Guru

@Casseau wrote:

I tried setting it to the lowest setting still no dice. Its the 'globe suite app' which is available for androis and ios. Madening when i switch it do the wifi that comes with shaw (ISP) and connects all 6 in no time at all.

Are you running a double nat? is it possibly an issue of conneting but not getting a matching IP address? 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

you can set the shaw isp devices wifi to the same ssid (shut off the netgear) as the netgear to get them connected. then just change the shaws wifi and turn the netgear back on

Message 10 of 15
Casseau
Guide

Guessing I am as the shaw router as well as the netgear router is providing private IPs. One thing i noted on the shaw router (where they connect fine) is that only the 2.4 Ghz band is enabled. The 5 Ghz is set to disabled.

Shaw router is giving out 192.168.0.x and the netgear 192.168.1.x

Not really seeing an option to disable bridged mode. So see a settings to enable IP pass through but that kill my internet access to the netgear router.

Shaw router is a CGBM-2250-SHW if that helps

Thanks

Message 11 of 15
antinode
Guru

> [...] the wifi that comes with shaw (ISP) [...]

> Shaw router is giving out 192.168.0.x and the netgear 192.168.1.x

So, you have cascaded two routers, which can cause many problems.

> Not really seeing an option to disable bridged mode. [...]

I don't know what you're not seeing where (or what you are seeing),
but you might do better if you configured the RAX80 as a wireless access
point, rather than as a (second) full-function router.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Look for "Set Up the router as
a WiFi access point".

You might, instead, be able to configure the CGBM-2250-SHW as a
modem-only, and use the RAX80 as your only router, but that would
disable the wireless capability of the CGBM-2250-SHW, which you seem to
be using.

Message 12 of 15
Casseau
Guide

I'll look into option #1. I wouldn't need the wireless on the shaw modem/router if i could get the lightbulbs to work on the netgear router. Main two options i can see are;

1) as you noted configuring the entgear as an AP point

2) Configuring IP pass through (would need to talk to shaw to get a 2nd IP) which would pass it through to the netgear router

Also considering moving ISP as there is some much cheapper alternativeas as they are wholesalers for shaw. So may just put this on hold till that happens.

Message 13 of 15
Casseau
Guide

Interestingly when i got in touch with 'Globe Electric' they noted if the router is dual band it would only work by adding it in AP mode. Fought with that longer then i would like to admit. 2 would connect - some would semi connect (solid light) and eventually would error out on the app and would prompt to retry.

After giving up on that i tried again using the default pairing mode and on my 3rd attempt all 6 finally connected. I shall now step away and hopefully never look at that config again............

anyhow thanks for your help...... hopefulyl i am good now.

Though in retrospect i wonder if temporarily disabled the 5Ghz connection completely would have done the trick. What i did notice on the ISP modem/router where it does work. That the 5 ghz was disabled.

Thanks

Message 14 of 15
plemans
Guru

I've used quite a few IoT devices with dual band routers without issues. They take a little playing once in a while to get working but I haven't found one yet that I couldn't get working.
glad to hear they're running currently!
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7