× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 as access point to RAX120?

Titan5178
Tutor

RAX80 as access point to RAX120?

I had issues with my 3 year old Linksys Velop mesh system so I recently replaced it with the RAX120. The single router downstairs nearly covers my entire house with the exception of one room upstairs. I have a lot of devices 50+ online at a time (sometimes up to 4 4K streams) and only expect that to grow in the coming years. I considered an Orbi but concerned it have the same limititations as the Velop with number of high bandwidth devices. 

But I would like to fix that one room. Does anyone see any issues if I were to put an RAX80 in that room as an access point, or would I be better off waiting for the Orbi with wifi 6?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX80 as access point to RAX120?

Correct. 

I don't currently have the wifi off on the RAX200 but not running all 3 radios and I'm on channels the Orbi isn't using. Helps prevent interference. Basically testing the RAX200 out to see how it performs, how the firmware works, and it lets me help others because i have experience with it. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The benefit to orbi is the seamless integration of a single ssid with multiple AP's. The RAX devices probably have better coverage for a single device but you'll end up with more than 1 ssid going this route. I don't think the RAX devices have mesh capability. 

It kind of depends on what you prefer for SSID usage and integration. I love using Orbi because I have a lot of devices and a large house. I do run my Orbi in AP mode as I'm running a RAX200 as my primary router with orbi providing the main wifi coverage. A bit of overkill but works for now. Any chance you could setup something simlar with your RAX120 and the Velop to provide coverage for the time being? 

Message 2 of 5
Titan5178
Tutor

So is the thought there that your RAX200 is the brains of your network and the Orbi's just provide wifi? Do you have the wifi turned off on the RAX200?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Correct. 

I don't currently have the wifi off on the RAX200 but not running all 3 radios and I'm on channels the Orbi isn't using. Helps prevent interference. Basically testing the RAX200 out to see how it performs, how the firmware works, and it lets me help others because i have experience with it. 

Message 4 of 5
Titan5178
Tutor

I bought the Orbi 3000 and using it as an access point with the RAX120...been a week so far working better than I could have hoped! Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7