× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 as access point wifi slow over CenturyLink Fiber

brianebrown79
Aspirant

RAX80 as access point wifi slow over CenturyLink Fiber

Hello, 

How can I get the most out of my wifi?  Why can't I get the bandwidth maximum based on the service (wired connection)/connected speed of the wifi chip?

I have CenturyLink's 1Gbps (940Mbps) Fiber service, connected to their gateway/mode C3000Z in a wired home environment.  I have the connection to my SX10 switch, then to my RAX80 router that I am using in Access Point mode to provide Wifi to my home.  All hardwired connection (to gateway C3000Z, SX10 switch, and RAX80 get download/upload speeds of 900+Mbps all along the way).  However, when I try to do wireless, I am only getting anywhere from 200-450Mbps down/up.   I use the app Speedtest to test my bandwidth (wired/wireless alike).

Bandwidth I have gotten per item/chip:

•     Apple Iphone X - 314 down/450 up
  •     Laptop with an Intel AC 7260 chip, connected at 866 Mbps (AC80mhz 2X2) - 250 down/300 up
  •     Desktop with an Intel AC 9260 chip, connected at 1.7 Gbps (AC160mhz 2X2) - 300 down/300 up

Stuff I have tried:

•     Updated to most recent firmware (V1.0.1.70_1.0.30)
  •     Did a factor restart
  •     Turned on/off QOS/WMM
  •     Enabled/unenabled Beamforming
  •     Enabled/unenabled MU-MIMO
  •     I currently have WPA2-PSA security (also tried it with no security)
  •     AX is enabled, but do not have anything with an AX card to test.

Anything else you can think of, to help me get closer to the speed I feel I should (866Mbps on Iphone and Laptop, and 940Mbps on Desktop)?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello brianebrown79, 

I would recommend disabling AX to see if there are any improvements. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 2 of 3
delta092
Tutor

I have a very similar issue. RAX80 with AP mode and ISP Fiber (940up/down). Speeds from the RAX80 ethernet are OK but wifi speed is not great. On Galaxy S20 in AX mode and just a few feet from the RAX80 I can barely get 200Mbs upload and download around 350. Device is connected at 1.2Gbps. I had much better performance from older routers and beginning to regret my purchase of this device now.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7