× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 behind RAX200

1cor1613
Aspirant

RAX80 behind RAX200

I have 3 areas with soundproofing construction techniques implemented that cause enough interference that wireless does not penetrate well enough from one area to the next to be useful, but some weak signal does show in each area outside the main. I need wireless in each area, preference being all interconnected and broadcasting the same WIFI network SSID so that mobile devices (cells, laptops, etc) can traverse from one area to the next seamlessly to the end user. I have a RAX200 setup and working connected to a cable modem and two RAX80 currently unboxed and firmware updated but not configured. I have ethernet trunk lines in place that can connect the RAX80's to the 200 in the two "remote" areas. What configuration options do I have to deploy these in the manner described?
Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router, RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX80 behind RAX200

I wouldn't go that route unless you didn't have an option. The RAX line aren't mesh setups. 

If you want roaming options, look to the Orbi line of products. Plus you can add in satellites as needed for extra coverage. 

Message 2 of 6
1cor1613
Aspirant

Thanks, but I already have the gear described. Is there a way to make this work with these three RAX devices?
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Sure you can hook them up and run them with the same ssid's. Make sure the 2 RAX80's are in ap mode. 

It isn't going to be seamless like the orbi setup but it'll work. Devices might tend to be a bit sticky and not transition from one router to the next though. That's where the orbi system works well versus just using the same ssid for a router-ap setup. 

Message 4 of 6
1cor1613
Aspirant

Ok, understood. I'll test it out. In AP mode, I can still use the ethernet trunk lines without them attempting to bridge together wirelessly, correct?
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

should be able to. I have 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements