× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

回复: RAX80 firmware 1.0.3.88_1.0.41 issues???

Fespinosa
Tutor

RAX80 firmware 1.0.3.88_1.0.41 issues???

anyone experiencing issues with the new firmware 1.0.3.88_1.0.41 causing your router to stop working? i just received a new replacement (the 2nd one in the past month). ive had this model for a year with no issues until about 2 months ago. I have another discussion open for this issue but now im thinking this is an issue with this firmware but would like to hear from other users. Basically the router stops working and when it does the router starts making a louder noise (like the fan is working more than usual), which it never does, i notice it becuase the router is quite and it does not make any nouise when it's working properly. When this is happening all the lights turn off expect for the wifi and the power (the power light turns amber and not blinking and the wifi light stays white also not blinking). I was able to get it back to a working state by unplugging/plugging the router from the power outlet 7 times while holding down the reset button. I was not able to get my last router working at all  so i contacted netgear and they sent me a new router. I got my new router installed today (7/11/20) and did not update to the new firwmware  i left the v1.0.1.62_1.0.26 firmware installed. any one else with this issue?????

Message 1 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RAX80 firmware 1.0.3.88_1.0.41 issues???

Hi Fespinosa, 

Has support been able to follow up on your issue after receiving the replacement router? 

Christian 

Message 2 of 12
Fespinosa
Tutor

No.
Message 3 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Fespinosa, 

I can assist with support following up on your case. If you're interested, send me a private message with your email address and case number(s). 

Christian 

Message 4 of 12
Fespinosa
Tutor

Thank you but I don't think you are going to be able to assist. Netgear told me that because I had the router for little bit more than a year they can't replace my router. But I got an update on this matter. This morning the router is having the same issue again! I honestly don't know what this could be. I have another netgear router r7000 that I use when the RAX80 doesnt work and have no problems with it. I connected the RAX80 to different power outlets around my house and didn't resolve the issue. As I stated previously I left the older firmware version and I'm pretty sure I set the options to not update automatically. I need to get the router to a working state to make sure that it didn't update the firmware or if it still has the same.
Message 5 of 12
Fespinosa
Tutor

@Christian_Rupdate. I was able to get the router back to a working state and was able to log in and found out that it had the new firmware installed (i thought i had disabled the automatic update). I downgraded to V.1.0.2 firmware and disabled the automatic update option. Can you please check if there are any bugs on this new firmware? I hope this is the reason for my issues but need you guys to be aware of this. I will send you a private message as well but wanted other people to be aware of this and hopefully they can confirm that this firware has some serious bug. thanks. i will update the post if the issue occurs with this older firmware.

Message 6 of 12
afh3
Tutor

Yep.

I have two RAX80 units configured as wireless access points. After updating them to RAX80-V1.0.3.88_1.0.41, all four of the Samsung S20 Ultra phones in the house will no longer connect to the access-points. "Error getting IP address".

Downgraded them to V1.0.2.76_1.0.35 and they work perfectly (phones will connect with no problems) - albeit with significant security risks due to the old firmware.

In summary:

• Factory reset both RAX80 units and reconfigured them as WAP mode with the V1.0.3.88_1.0.41 production firmware. Same issue
  • Factory reset both RAX80 units and reconfigured them as WAP mode with the V1.0.3.92_1.0.43 hotfix firmware. Same issue.
  • Factory reset both RAX80 units and reconfigured them as WAP mode with the V1.0.2.76_1.0.35 old firmware. Works perfectly with all four phones.
  • Factory reset two older R8000 units and reconfigured them as WAP mode with the V1.0.4.56_10.1.71 hotfix firmware. Works perfectly with all four phones.
  • Factory reset two older R8500 units and reconfigured them as WAP mode with the V1.0.2.132_1.0.99 hotfix firmware. Works perfectly with all four phones.

I'm thinking I may be seeing a trend here.

The RAX80 units are staying out of service until such time that firmware can be released that works like V1.0.2.76_1.0.35 does - only with the most current security fixes in place.

Oh, am I bitter about $1000 worth of non-working RAX80s? Yeah.

But hey, at least it has only taken dozens of hours of my time to discover and get back to a working configuration with R8500s.

Message 7 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

我的RAX80的现象跟你的一样,升级到1.0.3.88_1.0.41 后就无法正常使用,只有电源灯和WIFI灯亮,后来刷到旧固件之后才能正常使用。

Message 8 of 12
Fespinosa
Tutor

My RAX80 has been working with no issues since 7/18/20, the day that I downgraded the firmware. Just like you, I see a pattern here. I'm glad I dont have a hardware problem because this thing isn't cheap, but I'm also not happy to be running an older firmware with security holes so Netgear needs to address this issue.
Message 9 of 12
Fespinosa
Tutor

I'm using Google translate so I'm not sure of this is correct. Thank you

我的问题是完全一样的。他们需要尽快解决此问题
Message 10 of 12

Not sure what they have broken with the .3 firmware, but i've tried all the .3 firmwares as they come out and all do the same thing.  Internet connectivity is crap.  I revert to the RAX80-V1.0.2.76_1.0.35 and works just fine again.

I wish we had a way to get netgear support to look at this junk.  I would pay for support if it weren't a problem with their firmware!!!

Message 11 of 12
Fespinosa
Tutor

I haven't had a problem since i downgrade the firmware. But I'm definitely not happy running an older firmware
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7