× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 ip assignment numbers changed from 192.168.1.xx to 10.0.0.xx

JJ77
Tutor

RAX80 ip assignment numbers changed from 192.168.1.xx to 10.0.0.xx

I wanted to put my cameras etc on static addresses and was given this link by netgear support ( https://kb.netgear.com/30510/How-do-I-set-static-Domain-Name-System-servers-on-my-NETGEAR-router). I know how to set up static addresses on my devices, but did not know if the router required changes is why I contacted Netgear. Well followed instructions and put in my IPs 4 digit DNS codes. The result is went offline and had to use windows network trouble shooter to get back on line. My router came back on line but now assigns all ISP's as 10.0.0.xxx. I wrote back and asked netgear if this will affect performance, security and what may have caused the change? netgear just said not to worry as sometimes the router resets ip assignments to adjust to conflicts. Does anyone have any better explanation? I know I could put the router back to factory settings, but it is working fine and I am not sure about the instructions in the link above is necessary or not. 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

If your router does detect that the 192.168.1.x network is already in use on the WAN/Internet port side (this can be because of a cable modem isn't properly configured by the ISP or because the cable modem does not had an uplink while the router was started [levaing the modem on a default 192.168.1.x subnet] - Netgear does some smart-a** and does automatically reconfigure the LAN to that 10.0.0.x/24 network. Key reason is because a [NAT] router an't work with the same subnet on multiple interfaces. With the Internet connection enabled, reboot the router, and check if it does revert to 192.169.1.x/24.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

If your router does detect that the 192.168.1.x network is already in use on the WAN/Internet port side (this can be because of a cable modem isn't properly configured by the ISP or because the cable modem does not had an uplink while the router was started [levaing the modem on a default 192.168.1.x subnet] - Netgear does some smart-a** and does automatically reconfigure the LAN to that 10.0.0.x/24 network. Key reason is because a [NAT] router an't work with the same subnet on multiple interfaces. With the Internet connection enabled, reboot the router, and check if it does revert to 192.169.1.x/24.

Message 2 of 5
JJ77
Tutor

@schumaku wrote:

schmaku thanks a lot as that explanation was what I was looking for. I did reboot and it stayed 10.0.0.xx but that is not a problem for me as set up all my static ip assignments on the 10. The router had been working fine with the 192. for days and only changed when I followed the link instructions I was given. Still not sure what exactly happened, but your ref to the router set to do that is what I eanted to know. Thanks again

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5

For information  on how you can fix this issue, if you want to fix it, tell people the make and model of the modem/router in front of your RAX80.

As @schumaku suggests, that is probably the source of those IP addresses.

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward many cable modems and routers default to the 192.168.1.1/24 (and a freaking DHCP server for that very same subnet) until the headend has pushed the ISP config ... if this is delayed for whatever reason (e.g. connectivity issues from their servers) the Netgear routers will pick-up the IP, detect the same subnet is in use, and automatically adjust the LAN config. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7