× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 latest firmware V1.0.3.98_1.0.46 breaks router TIME

branchbiker
Apprentice

RAX80 latest firmware V1.0.3.98_1.0.46 breaks router TIME

Today I upgraded the RAX80 to  V1.0.3.98_1.0.46 

This seems to have broke the system time on the router.  It's is in an continous loop of about 1 min based on the time it gets after a reboot.  This messes up the logs and Circle bedtime settings (wich uses the router time).  This is how how figured out there was a problem with the TIME.

I've tried reflashing.

Ive tried reseting the router to factory

Support told me to change the DNS settings to use 8.8.8.8  (what a joke).

Anyone else facing this - or have a fix.  I'm trying to get engineering to take a look.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 47
branchbiker
Apprentice

Re: RAX80 latest firmware V1.0.3.98_1.0.46 breaks router TIME

Reflashed to old firmware .88 and Time and Date are working.  This must be an issue with the new firmware.  Support is now escalating to Engineering.

Message 2 of 47
sreeni_pa
Guide

Hello,

I have updated Firmware on 08/31, since then my WiFi connection is being dropped intermitentatly. 

When should we expect a fix for the issue?

Thx,

Sreeni

Message 3 of 47
branchbiker
Apprentice

Noticed the wifi dropping too. Had to reflash to .88. what a annoying mess.
Message 4 of 47
sreeni_pa
Guide

How did you do that?

Thx,

SK

Message 5 of 47
branchbiker
Apprentice

Message 6 of 47
sreeni_pa
Guide

Thank you..

Planning to give couple days to Engineering to comeup with a hotfix before rolling back.

Cheers,

SK

Message 7 of 47
sreeni_pa
Guide

Dear support,

Can you pleaes let us know when we should expect a hotfix for this issue?

Cheers,

SK

Message 8 of 47
branchbiker
Apprentice

A couple days... Don't hold your breath
Message 9 of 47
mixmaven
Star

I can't access the router login page using the ip or routerlogin.  Frustrating.  I finally was able to access via the app but obviously can't rollback firmware or even see the time.  

How did a bug this big get through QA?  

Message 10 of 47
branchbiker
Apprentice

Go through the setup on the app first. Once you do that you can access the regular webpage. Also unplug your PC wired connection to refresh an IP and/or forget the wireless network and reconnect to the said.
Message 11 of 47
sreeni_pa
Guide

I have successfully downgraded to previous version...current verstion has been very unstable and droppming my WiFi connections intermitentaly and effecting my work...

any rate, has anyone contacted HelpDesck? if not, I can send them an email with the issues?

Cheers,

SK

Message 12 of 47
branchbiker
Apprentice

yeah, I did.  Case # 43159508

You can call them an reference that number so they can start on an emergancy patch. 

I suspect people will start calling on the issue on Monday when they realize things are not going well.  Since this affects services that will degrade performance (not completely make it unusable) it will take some time for them to get the hint.  I also copied @Christian_R who has helped in the past.

Message 13 of 47
xdascx
Aspirant

+1 to WiFi connection issue

Having connection issues as well, I read somewhere before that people turned off their smart connect and it would work well.  However now I have 2 networks 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, which no devices can connect to the 2.4Ghz wifi whereas 5Ghz seems to be working fine for now.....

I've tried changing different channels etc. but to no avail.

Hope they get a fix out as soon as possible! 😞

Message 14 of 47
branchbiker
Apprentice

I had smartconnect off. I have my 2.4 and 5ghz ssid's named the same. Devices are smart enough to connect to the fastest avail.
Message 15 of 47
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

@branchbiker wrote:

yeah, I did.  Case # 43159508

You can call them an reference that number so they can start on an emergancy patch. 

I suspect people will start calling on the issue on Monday when they realize things are not going well.  Since this affects services that will degrade performance (not completely make it unusable) it will take some time for them to get the hint.  I also copied @Christian_R who has helped in the past.

Yes I am also experiencing the router time issue. I am also experiencing an issue with IPV6 where the connection times out and won't give IPV6 ip address to devices.

I have downgrade my firmware to 1.0.3.92 and all is well again!

Message 16 of 47
branchbiker
Apprentice

If anyone has 98 firmware go to nto settings under administration and tell me if your time is chugging away correctly. Keep pressing the ntp settings button in the menu to refresh the time. Try a for a couple minutes.
Message 17 of 47
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

@branchbiker wrote:
If anyone has 98 firmware go to nto settings under administration and tell me if your time is chugging away correctly. Keep pressing the ntp settings button in the menu to refresh the time. Try a for a couple minutes.

When I had the 1.0.3.98 firmware loaded the time under NTP settings displayed the time the router was turned on and never advanced. In my router logs it also kept on repeating the same time and was never the current time. The time was stuck within a minute of when the router was booted up. 

I have since downgrade the firmware to 1.0.3.92 and all is well again with router time and maintaining IPV6 connection.

Message 18 of 47
branchbiker
Apprentice

I went down to .88. I couldn't find .92 on the website. Anyways, if you had the same NTP issue then everyone probably has it. I've disabled auto firmware updates now.

What are you using ipv6 for? I have it disabled as do many so yet another bug.
Message 19 of 47
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

@branchbiker wrote:
I went down to .88. I couldn't find .92 on the website. Anyways, if you had the same NTP issue then everyone probably has it. I've disabled auto firmware updates now.

What are you using ipv6 for? I have it disabled as do many so yet another bug.

I use ipv6 mainly for my XBOX. I have also disabled auto firmware update. 

Message 20 of 47
sreeni_pa
Guide

Sent an eamil to Tech support requesting for update and potentila fix timeline..

Cheers,

SK

Message 21 of 47
Antonys
Aspirant

Updated to the new firmware (1.0.3.98) throught the nighthawk app, and it seemed to have frozen at some point so I went to the router login page on a computer and all seemed to have updated correctly. First thing that struck me as strange was that i needed to log in twice.

Noticed that all my smart lightbulbs from Lifx were no longer responding or displaying on Apple's Home app.

Opened NIGHTHAWK app and it couldnt connect to router.

Rebooted modem. No change

Rebooted router. No change

Reset router. No change.

After doing all these things, the NIGHTHAWK app couldnt connect, and all the smart devices in my home were turned dumb.

Downloaded the previous firmware (1.0.3.88), installed that, and everything came back to how it was.

It seems like the newest firmware is highly problematic. I think I will wait for a new firmware to come out, and let some actual QA happen.

Quite dissapointed with NETGEAR on this one. I'm not the most tech savy person, but thankfully I managed to fix my issue quickly enough, but I'd say the majority of people out there would have no idea how to fix this, and it is more than likley going to cause some grief for people. Especially if they're working from home due to the pandemic and they are no longer able to connect to the internet.

Message 22 of 47
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Everyone, 

Thank you for your feedback regarding the latest firmware update on the RAX80. I've forwarded the information to our product teams for review. 

Thanks @branchbiker for looping me in! 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 23 of 47
jhajin
Tutor

Yes, same problem here. I got the new firmware Friday morning, 7/31/2020, and it was a mess. The first thing I noticed was that it blew away all my custom settings and configuration and reset the router to factory default. After finally being able to log into the web interface to get back to normal I looked at the NTP screen and notice it didn't set the time correctly. The NTP problem was an issue for me - it can cause some of my wireless smart home devices to not get an IP address.

After "playing" with the NTP setting I realized it wasn't advancing and was actually bouncing around the seconds, but was stuck in the same HH:MM. (I thought, "How nice, we can now go back in time. Netgear invented the real Way-Back machine") I just noticed I'm still on Friday's date and time.

So, I called support (Case #: 43153494 / 43155025) and waited the obligatory hold time of 70 minutes and explained what was happening. After 40 minutes or so they suggested I again reboot the router, again pull the plug for 5 minutes, again reset to factory defaults, and other useless tasks. After all that failed to fix the issue I suggested STRONGLY that they pull the latest firmware. After all the messages posted below I see they didn't take that advice.

By the way, I'm still waiting for them to fix the "Attached Devices" issues. That's been over a month now. (Case #: 43047939)

In my opinion, these (expensive) AX Nighthawk routers are junk. After "upgrading" from my previous Netgear AC routers to these (expensive) AX routers, I see very little, if any, real world benefits. And, yes, I do have some AX devices on the network.

Message 24 of 47
Antonys
Aspirant

@jhajin 

"By the way, I'm still waiting for them to fix the "Attached Devices" issues. That's been over a month now. (Case #: 43047939)"

Is this a case of older devices that are showing as still attached to the network? Because if so, I have had many devices which are were no longer on the network showing up as connected. Even after I changed the password, these devices would show up as connected. I have no idea how a device can automatically connect to the network with a virgin password, but I guess it was just false reporting of device list. 

The only way I managed to get rid of these phantom devices was to reset EVERYTHING. Reset router. New SSID. New Password. Re-sync ALL the lights in the house... All the devices.... EVERYTHING. Thankfully the devices that were shoing up are no longer showing up.

"In my opinion, these (expensive) AX Nighthawk routers are junk. After "upgrading" from my previous Netgear AC routers to these (expensive) AX routers, I see very little, if any, real world benefits. And, yes, I do have some AX devices on the network."

I'm starting to feel the very same sentiment.

Message 25 of 47
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 46 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7