× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 latest firmware V1.0.3.98_1.0.46 breaks router TIME

jhajin
Tutor

Yes, that's the very same problem. Also several different devices are listed as using the same IP.

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent doing factory resets and then running around getting some fussy smart devices to reconnect again.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 26 of 47
mixmaven
Star

From bad to worse.  Router died at 1:10am, could not access any interface, stopped routing traffic.  I rebooted and it started routing traffic again but cannot connect on any (192.168.1.1, routerlogin.net, nighthawk app) interface.  Browsers say the device is not responding, using both safari and chrome.   I have a support case (43161461) started because I purchased the router March 29,2020 but it registered as Nov 29,2019 - which they fixed with my receipt.

I finally pulled the router (taking down my network and pi$$ing the family off) and held reset while turning it on.  I find firmware V1.0.3.98_2.1.46.1 but it rebooted in the middle of reconnecting it to my network.  I am requesting a router replacement.  Not happy. 

Message 27 of 47
mixmaven
Star

Apologies, I do not seem to be able to edit my above post but the language file is 1.0.3.98_2.1.46.1, the firmware was V1.0.3.98_1.0.46.  I attempted to restore my settings and the router was unreachable.  The router was reset, not connected to a network, with only my computer plugged into the ethernet port.  Done.  Can't spend any more time on this. 

Message 28 of 47
Jaydawgx7
Tutor

I updated my router to this firmware the other day as well. Since then, ALL of my wireless devices disconnected over night each night requiring a reboot (or several) of the router. Also can no longer even get to the into the router interface on web or mobile... web says the site didn't return any data, mobile doesn't find the device...  I had my first RAX80 replaced because it kept dropping devices. This one seemed better until this update, now I can't even access my router to roll back the firmware. Hard reset may help, but I really don't want to have to set up all my static leases and port forwarding again.. What a complete waste of money 

Message 29 of 47
branchbiker
Apprentice

@Jaydawgx7 yep, hard reset.  Annoying, but that is usually the only way to get out of it.  I've done it so many times I have developed a long procedure in my head to make sure things are back to the way they are.  Causes havok with lots of devices though. I am considering moving to an asus router.

Message 30 of 47
Jaydawgx7
Tutor

@branchbiker   Thanks for the heads up. I started the return process on Amazon just so I don't run past my return period. I'm going to research other brands too I guess, but want to stick with Wifi 6 since I already replaced the cards in a couple devices... Factory reset is an absolute PITA. I have over 60 devices connected and when I got my replacement router, it wreaked havoc on all my smart devices. Also ended up causing duplicate entries for most of my devices on my Home Assistant server . Factory resetting is a days worth of work to fix for people that actually use any advanced features like setting up static leases and port forwarding; this is NOT a solution, Netgear. 

@Christian_R Are there any updates on these issues? I'm not really a fan of having a $400 paperweight, especially when I work from home 100% now and this is affecting my job. 

Message 31 of 47
daweidu
Star

block kid pc today. wow everything is broken. I reboot the router and still can not access the web interface. excellent software so they can keep their job.

Message 32 of 47
Nmouneimne
Apprentice

Had similar problems with Time and Cicle would not set up at all for me. Once I downgraded to .88, it all went back to normal.

Message 33 of 47
branchbiker
Apprentice

My sons Xbox wasn't working so spent Saturday morning troubleshooting. I was pretty sure it was firmware related since it was fine before the upgrade but took me a couple hours to realize is the the time that was not updating. I kept trying all the circle settings and discovered it was bedtime that was causing the problem and then but two and two together. I have a Google nest wifi dual router kit coming tomorrow. I'll see how that works out and then hasta la Vista nighthawk (I've pretty much had it with this router which surprisingly still ranks very high on the reviews).
Message 34 of 47
branchbiker
Apprentice

I sold the RAX80 on eBay and replaced with a 2 router Nest WiFi Kit.  I just couldn't deal with the firmware headaches.

Message 35 of 47
sreeni_pa
Guide

@branchbiker - Hope all is well...any update on the Ticket yet? nothing from my end.

Cheers,

SK

Message 36 of 47
Jaydawgx7
Tutor

@branchbiker  Luckily I'm still in my return window on Amazon, but I went a similar path. Just ordered the Nest Wifi with two Points. Even after downgrading the firmware to the 88 version, I'm still having issues. My modem/router are on a battery backup. Last night the power flickered causing all my smart devices (which are connected to the 2.4 network) to restart at the same time. Router couldn't handle it apparently and just stopped broadcasting the 2.4 network. Not the first time this has happened, just the first time I saw the cause. Disappointed to leave wifi6 behind, but I'm over this hunk of garbage. I wish the rest of you good luck.

Message 37 of 47
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Nighthawk AX Community, 

For those experiencing issues with NTP Timezone, please send me a message with your email address and serial number. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 38 of 47
sreeni_pa
Guide

Dear all, Are there any updates on this firmware fix? Thx
Message 39 of 47
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

@sreeni_pa wrote:
Dear all, Are there any updates on this firmware fix? Thx

@sreeni_pa  I sent a private message to @Christian_R  with my serial number & email address. I was sent the beta firmware which has solved the NTP Router Time Issue and ipV6 connectivity. 

Message 40 of 47
Steven_preston
Aspirant

I too am hving the NTP issue but Im stupid, how do you send a PM to you Christian?  I would like to send my serial number so I too can get the beta firmware.

Message 41 of 47
ChrisLnetg
Aspirant

@Steven_preston wrote:

I too am hving the NTP issue but Im stupid, how do you send a PM to you Christian?  I would like to send my serial number so I too can get the beta firmware.

On message number 38, click on Christian_R name and then click send a private message.  I too received the beta firmware from Christian, and the beta firmware fixed the router time issue.

Message 42 of 47
mixmaven
Star

@Christian_R  When is the new firmware out of beta?  

It feels like we are all just paying Netgear for the opportunity to beta test their routers.  

The RAX80 hasn't fully worked since I purchased it. 

V1.0.2.76_1.0.35 = Packet Loss on HTTP traffic, 5Ghz wifi issues on apple devices (but most stable version)

V1.0.3.88_1.0.4 = Breaks Apple HomeKit, IoT devices cannot connect

V1.0.3.98_1.0.46 = Bricked my Router - $16 to replace, NTP broken

Message 43 of 47
daweidu
Star

why don't you just post this firmware on website. You already broken too many routers, it does not hurt to break more. You never test anything. Just let all the users as beta test. You can mark the firmware beta. 

Message 44 of 47
mixmaven
Star

RAX80 new firmware 1.0.3.102_1.0.48 has been released.  

Wish me luck. 

Message 45 of 47
ZexyTravy
Aspirant

Same bull**bleep**. Mine keeps saying "LAN Cable Disconnected" in the middle of a game even if im playing an offline game. I wired all my consoles / PC, etc. BUT its a damn lie nothing disconnected and im sure ports are fine. Its new and detects my systems. **bleep**ing annoying and i cant even update the damn firmware of the router wont update. Fails everytime after waiting about 10 minutes for it to finish trying. Someone please fix/help. 😑
Message 46 of 47
mixmaven
Star

How are you attempting to update the router firmware? Auto-update button allowing the router to download the firmware automatically or downloading the firmware file to a computer/device and uploading through the firmware update admin page?

I would try to download the firmware directly to your computer and update the router over a LAN network.  The auto-update is failing. 

Message 47 of 47
Discussion stats
  • 46 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7