× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 not forwarding DNS requests

Tybolt
Initiate

RAX80 not forwarding DNS requests

I have seen several posts on this topic for Nighthawk RAX models but they are all closed with no resolution so I am posting again...

At random times, devices on my LAN/WLAN will appear to lose Internet access. After some troubleshooting I have discovered the DNS request is not being resolved so the webpage/service will not load. If I change the network setting on the device (PC, mobile) to a public DNS server (eg: 8.8.8.8) bypassing the router for DNS resolution, Internet access is restored imidiatly. Changing it back to DHCP DNS settings and name resolution stops again.

I can also resolve the issue by changing the routers "Domain Name Server (DNS Address) setting in the Internet Setup menu and clicking apply, which also restarts the router.

- I have a Nighthawk RAX80, firmware V1.0.3.102_1.0.48

- A reboot of the router does not resolve the issue, only when you change the DNS in the Internet Setup menu.

- Not always are all devices on the network affected at the same time, though sometimes all devices are affected.

- Devices use DHCP to get their DNS settings.

- The problem occurs with both "Get Automatically from ISP" aquired DNS settings and "Use These DNS Servers" hard coded.

- Hard coding the DNS settings on all my devices is not a long term solution.

As I have seen this topic many times for many RAXxx models, I'm guessing it's a problem with the firmware and ask that Netgear resolve it in the next firmware.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Tybolt
Initiate

I have just updated to firmware V1.0.3.106_1.0.50 and the DNS resolution issue has already occured.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Tybolt, 

Have you had a moment to get in contact with our support team regarding this?

Christian 

Message 3 of 4
Mikeyyyyy
Aspirant

Did anyone get a solution to this? To upgrades lat at version and this now happening
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7