× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 paired with U-verse Arris BGW210

Htdevane
Guide

RAX80 paired with U-verse Arris BGW210

I have basically done most of the things and I have successfully configured the IP Passthrough and now my Netgear Ax8 is my wireless router over the Arris gateway. When trying to get an open NAT type on my Xbox, it states that I have a double NAT and its limited to strict . I think its due to my IPs being the same on my arris and my netgear. my public IP on the AT&T Arris is the standard 192.168.1.254 and when I go to my router info (internet port), the gateway IP and DNS server is the exact same but IP address of the router is the 10.0.x.x as I think it should be.

Any help on getting rid of that strict NAT?

Thank you in advance!
Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Htdevane
Guide

You guys are the best! Removed IP Passthrough and enabled AP mode and boom the NAT type immediately went to open and all is well with the wireless connection. I just left the U-verse router Wireless disabled.

Thank you guys so much because I was literally about to go out and spend money on a mesh network but this AX8 is working good and it seems coverage also isn’t an issue with the router being in the corner of my living room and I’m still getting consistent speeds throughout my 2000sq ft house.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If your arris is on the 192.168.1.* and the netgear on the 10.0.0.*, you might not have it setup right. 

att is horrible at setting passthrough to work properly with their service. Many have needed to set the arris in router mode and put the netgear in AP (access point) mode to get gaming/services working properly. 

Have you tried this? 

Message 2 of 11
Htdevane
Guide

Well when I open up the nighthawk app, I see the IP address under the router information is 10.0.x.x but when I go to the internet port tab, the gateway IP is the same IP as the Arris and I think that’s what’s causing the double NAT if I’m not mistaken.

I have little experience besides playing around with some things here and there but I never really had to do all of this to get the Nate together. I think it’s because of this new router U-verse has.

Is there write up or something showing how to put Netgear in AP mode?

Also I’m assuming If I was to go to another brand router it would still be the same issue correct?
Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

@Htdevane wrote:
Well when I open up the nighthawk app, I see the IP address under the router information is 10.0.x.x but when I go to the internet port tab, the gateway IP is the same IP as the Arris and I think that’s what’s causing the double NAT if I’m not mistaken.

I have little experience besides playing around with some things here and there but I never really had to do all of this to get the Nate together. I think it’s because of this new router U-verse has.

Is there write up or something showing how to put Netgear in AP mode?
https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

Also I’m assuming If I was to go to another brand router it would still be the same issue correct?

yes you would. ATT is horrible at setting up their passthrough mode properly. I've had issues with it on netgear and tp-link when I was with att. Just make sure you put the ATT device back into router mode. many recommend disabling the wireless but you can leave it on if you make sure the wireless channels are seperated out. If its not possible or creates interference, then disable it on the att device. 

Message 4 of 11
Htdevane
Guide

Ok I will reset everything and give that a try but would I basically be using the AT&T Gateway as the wireless router? I wanted to switch over to the nighthawk because it gives a better range and signal in my office where I need it the strongest or would WiFi still be using the nighthawk?

Thanks for all the help
Man because I am stumped trying to figure all of this out.
Message 5 of 11
additude
Virtuoso

Here is a link to the user manual if .pdf

It will tell you how to enter AP mode.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RAX80/RAX80_UM_EN.pdf 

Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

Correct. You'd be using the ATT device as router.

The netgear would still work with its wireless and its ethernet ports would work fine. It just wouldn't be routing. So you'd get the added wireless coverage and ethernet ports to use. 

Like I said, you can always leave the att device's wireless running or disable it depending on wireless interference. If you live in a congested wireless area, I'd disable its wireless. If you don't live in a congested area and have plenty of wireless channels available to keep the netgear and arris on different channels, than it doesn't hurt to leave it on. 

Message 7 of 11
Htdevane
Guide

Ok sounds good. That’s literally the way I have it hooked up right now so I’m just going to enable AP mode and see how it does. Will report back in a few.
Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

Make sure the att device's passthrough/bridge mode is disabled. If you enabled it, it doesn't function properly but it doesn't mean that its fully routing. So make sure the ATT device is in in standard routing mode. 🙂 

Message 9 of 11
Htdevane
Guide

You guys are the best! Removed IP Passthrough and enabled AP mode and boom the NAT type immediately went to open and all is well with the wireless connection. I just left the U-verse router Wireless disabled.

Thank you guys so much because I was literally about to go out and spend money on a mesh network but this AX8 is working good and it seems coverage also isn’t an issue with the router being in the corner of my living room and I’m still getting consistent speeds throughout my 2000sq ft house.
Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

glad to hear you got it working properly!

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7