× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 port aggregation help

RAX80 port aggregation help

I have 2 separate gigabit connections into my house from Comcast. They go into 2 different modems (Netgear CM1150V and the xFinity XB7-T modem/gateway), and I'm trying to get link aggregation on my RAX80.

When I set up the 2 spots I can see for link aggregation (Advanced -> Setup -> Internet Setup & Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Ethernet Port Aggregation).

What ends up happening is that the management access to the RAX80 goes away, and all connected items on its SSID connect to the XB7-T gateway's subnet. I can still connect to the RAX80 wifi, but hard wired speedtests still show 1Gbps.

0) is ethernet aggregation even possible across 2 modems?

1) do the router/gateway need to be configured for the same subnet?

2) are there other steps im missing?

Thanks!

Rob

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

WAN port aggregation isn't the same as a load balancing router. 

You can't wan port aggregate with 2 different modems into the RAX80. 

Message 2 of 4

Do you think that if i set the modems to 2 subnets it would help at all?

It sounds like the load balancing needs to happen in the modem, is that a fair assumption?

Unfortunately my ISP says they can send 2 unique "accounts" to my house each on 1Gbps (same single coax cable split), but they can't send a single 2Gbps to my CM1150V (capable of 10Gbps) modem...

The modem itself (the CM1150V) can link aggregate, so I assume it does the load balancing internal to itself.

Any recommendations for load-balancing routers (or at this point a switch, as everything is hard-wired)?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

In my experience, even a load balancing router wouldn't hit >1gig because it balances the load, it doesn't combine them into a 2gig service. But it would let 2 seperate devices connected to it both hit 1 gig speeds at the same time. 

If you were looking at a business grade router that would handle that, I'd check into the business class forum for better advice. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Insight-Network-Management/ct-p/en-business-solutions-insight 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7