× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 randomly disconnects LAN cable

Clovers
Tutor

RAX80 randomly disconnects LAN cable

During random times on my router drops connection to LAN cables. My PS4 says LAN cable disconnected and sometimes the same to my pc. It only happens for a few seconds. I tried different cables and also tried different ports. any ideas?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 133
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

This is currently a bug in the 1.0.1.58 firmware that disconnect LAN randomly. I would downgrade the firmware to 1.0.1.40 for stability but if you want faster wi-fi speeds then use 1.0.1.56 but it has it's own set of issues.

Message 2 of 133
Clovers
Tutor

Thanks, just wanted to make sure Netgear was aware of the problem.

Message 3 of 133
Panda9
Guide

Rax80 keeps randomly disconnecting LAN and cycles a disconnect through devices which causes a moment without wifi for one device as others are ok. Once it reconnects, another device disconnects randomly. Latest update from 9-2019
Message 4 of 133
Warri
Tutor

I'm having similar issues with Firmware V1.0.1.64_1.0.27  Any Advice?

It will randomly drop Network for probably 1-2sec but just enough for me to lose connection to game servers and discord.

Message 5 of 133
Panda9
Guide

Mine keeps doing it no matter what, i cant believe i spent 400$ on this router and I cant get any help or answer from Netgear. People are loosing hope out here.
Message 6 of 133
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Warri and Panda9,

I'd like for our support team to reach out to you and address the issue(s) you've experienced. When you get a chance, please send me a message with your contact info and case number (if applicable).

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 7 of 133
Clovers
Tutor

still a problem on Firmware Version V1.0.1.64_1.0.27

Message 8 of 133
JamesJa
Guide

I'm so happy I found this forum. I recently purchased 2 RAX 80 Nighthawk routers for my home placing one downstairs and one upstairs. They both have the most current firmware. The downstairs router works flawlessly but the upstairs router, that has one single hardwire connection, goes off-line every night forcing me to reboot every morning to re-establish connection. I've also tried downgrading the firmware and we'll see how that works.

Jim

Message 9 of 133
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Jamesja,

Thanks for posting. Please note that if you recently purchased your device, you are provided with 90 days of complimentary support and can access it by opening a ticket with our support team using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 10 of 133
JamesJa
Guide

Thanks, I did go ahead and roll back the firmware on the one unit that continually disconnects. Going to see if that solves the problem. Otherwise will open a support ticket. I just bought these three days ago

Jim

Message 11 of 133
allarone
Star

Will be interested to see if you have any luck.  I have had mine for about 4 months and it has been complete garbage.  I've tried so many potential solutions from the forum and nothing has worked.  This started the day after I got my router.  I keep hoping Netgear will come up with a firmware fix but  they don't seem to be too interested.  I may put my X6 back in for now and eventually by something from ASUS that I believe will be much better.  Hate to waste $300+ on this junk but might be worth it to save any more aggravation.

Message 12 of 133
JamesJa
Guide

After reading the forum, I downgraded my firmware to a previous version and the router went about a week but then it finally disconnected again. Support recommended reinstalling the most recent firmware and doing a hard reset. I did that two days ago and so far things are fine but it's too early to tell if that's a permanent fix. Strange thing is I bought two routers at the same time and the other one has worked flawlessly with no disconnection problems whatsoever. Going to give this one another week or two and if it continues to disconnect may possibly look into getting a refund or replacement. Should not have to deal with issues like this on a brand new expensive router.

Jim

Message 13 of 133
djphat2000
Guide

I've been having the same issue.  Here is a list of things I have done to try and solve it to no avail:

1) This started on my X4S router.  I thought maybe the internet port had gone bad.  So I bought the RAX80.

2) I did not bring over my config.  I started new, and just reused the same WiFi names as my old router, and IP addressing

3) Everything connected to it fine.  I think I was on the .62 firmware at the time.  However, my internet connection did drop once in 2 days.

4)  It went fine for another couple of days, but then started to drop internet again.  I rebooted, unpluged the internet CAT5.  All worked for a few days.  Then stopped working again.  

5) I gave up and went to replace my "modem" from my ISP.  Got that up and running, and again everything was fine for a few days.

6)  Issue started again, keep dropping internet every day or so.  WiFi appears "UP", but not getting any internet traffic in or out.

I wrote a post about my issue with the X4S.  I didn't get any support reply back.  So, I figured I'm the only one.  I'm seeing that there are various issues with this and other routers from Netgear, and I guess I'm in the camp of "What GIVES?".  

I have a lot of netgear products, and for the most part everything works.  I'm very disapointed in the last 2 routers that I have had.  Since getting them has not been an improvement on the next.  Both had the same issue, even after changing out cable modems.  

Is it the firmware?  Does this get corrupted?  The webpage is slower than my older router, and hangs up more often then the older router.  I'm on the latest firmware, and I update when its available.  

HELP

Message 14 of 133
JamesJa
Guide

Sounds like a common problem. Following the community's suggestions, I reverted to an older firmware and my Internet would only disconnect about once a week rather than every day. Then support recommended I reinstall the most recent firmware which I did about three days ago and since then I've had no disconnects. Possibly downgrading and reinstalling the most recent firmware will help for you as well.

Jim

Message 15 of 133
Panda9
Guide

Its been an ongoing issue for months but im not able to purchase another Router after spending soo much on this one. I was recommended to revert back an update but reset didn't do anything. How exactly did you guys re-install the recent update? Because when I check im fully up to date.
Message 16 of 133
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Panda9, 

Please refer to KB article below on how to upload a firmware manually. When you get to step 1, you may choose which firmware you'd like to upload to your router. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router

Christian 

Message 17 of 133
djphat2000
Guide

I may try that.  

However, I've since did a factory reset as everyone else has already done a million times.  Of course, that did nothing, and actually made the issue come back more often.  SO, I have an X4S and an older R6300.  I was going to go back to the X4S however, that unit had the exact same issues the RAX80 has.  Just drops internet.  And usually what I would do is unplug the CAT6 cable from the modem going to the router and wait about 5 seconds and plug it back in.  It would come back up and work for another day or so.  This is the same issue as the RAX80 and the same solution works for a day or so.  

There must be some kind of hardware/firmware issue here.  The same code is causing the same issue on different hardware.  I generally don't lose my WiFi, it happens but most of the time that isn't the issue.  Just not getting past the router out to the internet.  

Also, I think I mentioned that when I disconnect the CAT6 going to the modem.  I drop all of the other network ports/devices for about 2 seconds.  Those links go away, which has nothing to do with internet access.  Like again they are tied together and it should not be.  You should be able to use the "switch" independent of the Internet uplink port.  Disconnecting the internet port shouldn't cause you to drop the LAN.  Anyway.  I've moved back to the R6300 for LAN/DHCP/Routing to the modem.  Disabling the radio 2.4/5Ghz.  I'm using the RAX80 for Access Point only and all the 2.4/5Ghz radio's it has.  My main concern is watching AppleTV for my kid and not dropping that all day long. 

WiFi again was mostly fine.  So even if that starts to not work again.  I can do a simple reboot to fix that.  

From a network hardware perspective.  This looks like bad firmware talking to the hardware and failing without recovering.  There must be a software crash that happens.  Don't know what triggers it though.  However, when it crashes (OS-Firmware) the hardware just locks up and you drop your internet port or you lose your WiFi as others have stated happens.  Turning features off sometimes seems to help some, but not always.  Hardware wise, I'm sure this thing is MORE than capable of doing DHCP, Routing, and all the bandwidth etc.  But, the software can't it seems.  

Message 18 of 133
Panda9
Guide

Anyone have any luck? My internet slowed down to an average of 400, instead of 900ish as i pay for a gig internet. And the disconnect continues.. Wish i could return this. I had high hopes but it gives mw a headache every day as a streamer..
Message 19 of 133
Panda9
Guide

No help from netgear or Amazon, looks like i now have to switch companies and spend another 400bucks for a router . This wont sit well with the community as an investor.
Message 20 of 133
allarone
Star

I feel your pain Panda9!  After wasting hundreds of $ on Negear routers in the past several years the RAX80 put me over the edge.  After only 4 months I shelved it and bought a TP-Link that has been flawless.  Not one drop which is so refreshing after several every day with the RAX80.  Good luck in your adventure.  I for one am completely done with Netgear.

Message 21 of 133
Clovers
Tutor

djust an update. its still a problem with the latest firmware 

Firmware Version V1.0.1.70_1.0.30

Message 22 of 133
Viet1098
Initiate

Still doing it even after a firmware downgrade. I’m beginning to get really frustrated. And to think I this thing cost 400$
Message 23 of 133
ubedawg
Star

So has anybody had any luck fixing this?  I am exeriencing something that seems to be related, I posted my own subject have have heard nothing on it.  All devices seem good.  Good speed and coverage.  But for online games that require a constant connection, I get booted out of the game.  My console is an ethernet connection but I think the problem is between the router and the modem.  

When the modem is powered off, the router log will show something like

Internet disconnected

Time sychronized with NTP server

Internet connected

But what I see in the router log is

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Sunday, Feb 09,2020 08:32:41
[Internet connected] IP address: 24.229.xxx.207, Sunday, Feb 09,2020 05:32:42
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Sunday, Feb 09,2020 05:32:41
[Internet connected] IP address: 24.229.xxx.207, Sunday, Feb 09,2020 03:15:50
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Sunday, Feb 09,2020 03:15:50
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Sunday, Feb 09,2020 02:19:17
[Internet connected] IP address: 24.229.xxx.207, Saturday, Feb 08,2020 23:19:17
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Saturday, Feb 08,2020 23:19:16
[Internet connected] IP address: 24.229.xxx.207, Saturday, Feb 08,2020 22:02:17
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Saturday, Feb 08,2020 22:02:16

Notice at 2:19:17, there was a time sync with no [Intenet connected].  This is what should always be in the log router, just the time sync event.  I think the [Intenet connected] implies that connection had dropped even though it was not logged?  

Every time I get booted out of the game, I check the router log and it ALWAYS coincides with a [internet connected] event.  

ISP looked at modem logs and said no issues there.  I still have my R8000 X6 but really don't want to reinstall it, as the RAX80 provides whole house coverage.  Never had this problem with X6.  

I took the 2 year Geek Protection warranty from BB when I bought it, so returning it will not be a problem.  

Before I do all of this, I just wanted to see if anybody had managed to get around these problems.

Message 24 of 133
JamesJa
Guide

I initially had the same problem with my router spontaneously disconnecting from the Internet. I downloaded a older version of firmware which seemed to solve the problem. Then at the advice of support I reinstalled the newest firmware which I did and the router has worked flawlessly ever since..

Message 25 of 133
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7