× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 randomly disconnects LAN cable

ubedawg
Star

Thanks @JamesJa   I did downgrade the FW from version .70 to .62 a few days ago with no luck. I will reinstall the latest .70 and see what happens.  Fingers crossed 😉

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 26 of 133
K-Mo81
Tutor

Did this fix resolve the issue? Mine happens on my PS4 and my Xbox One, both random, maybe once a day. It never actually disconnects from the internet but will drop people who are in a party chat and a game for me. It’s a bit annoying since it’s directly connected to the router.

I’ll try the firmware downgrade and reinstall but just curious if that worked for you?
Message 27 of 133
ubedawg
Star

@K-Mo81  Changing the firmware didn't help.  There are a few different posts for this problem, but under different subjects.  In another post, somebody with the same issue wound up just going wireless, so that's what I did.  My console (Xbox1X) is no longer an ethernet connection.  I haven't been dropped since, but I also haven't been playing for any long stretches lately.  Now I am worried about the other wired connections that I have, since I cannot go wireless with them (employer provided VOIP, home security system, home VOIP).  

I don't play a lot of MMO games, just one, which is Destiny 2.  The Bungie error code was canary.  

Here is a link to the forum post where the OP mentioned that they have been working with Netgear on this for months.  

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX80-Short-Disconnections/m-p/185...

Message 28 of 133
K-Mo81
Tutor

Sucks to hear that didn’t work. I lose connection once a day and it is so annoying. Nothing competitive thankfully but in the middle of each game it just drops. I hope they figure this out as I can’t return mine. The WiFi connections are amazing though.
Message 29 of 133
SINCALTREV
Tutor

I too am also experiencing this problem. Customer support said "since this router is so bleeding edge, the connection drops for devices that arent wifi 6" and advised me to turn off AX mode. $400!! 

Message 30 of 133
ubedawg
Star

@SINCALTREV thanks for posting this.  A wired connection drops because of a wireless mode.  Huh.  I resorted to unplugging my Xbox from the Ethernet and going wireless.  Now I'm tempted to turn off AX mode and try the Ethernet again.  If I do, I'll come back with the results.  

Message 31 of 133
mettedu
Tutor

Running Config:
Spectrum Modem Ubee E31U2V1 400mbps to RAX80 running firmware V1.0.1.70_1.0.30

I'm having the same problem as you all, brand new house with new wiring and put this in brand new. It driving me nuts it kills any game im playing, or any movie I'm streaming. Brought the ISP out because I initally thought "there is no way MY NEW router could be causing this problem" but alas I was wrong they came out 3 times and swapped out all their gear, testing the line and it works fine from the modem but adding in the router leads to disconnects. It kills me that Netgear can't do anything about this as we are all having this problem. My day job is a network engineer for a trauma hospital, if any of our gear did something like this we would be screaming.

Message 32 of 133
Chocobofarm
Guide

My wired LAN connections are also being briefly disconnected on my RAX80, which causes online games to kick me out during gaming sessions. Devices connected by wifi seem unaffected.

I've tried reverting to FW v.1.0.1.56 since others have said in these forums that this issue started with FM v.1.0.1.58, but that didn't work for me. I still get the disconnects with that FM version. Of course, I've also tried factory resets and other things, but nothing seems to work.
Message 33 of 133
SINCALTREV
Tutor

To everyone in this thread, if your able to return your RAX, I would and use that money towards the Unifi Alien. I purchased it and that router is a beast. Solved all my problems! No disconnects, better speeds, range and improved other problems I didn’t even know I had! Speedier refreshes of HomeKit devices. App is light years better. I can go on and on!
Message 34 of 133
ubedawg
Star

Thanks for the suggestion about the Amplifi Alien.  Turns out that my BB warranty is only for replacement, not for return.  I would seriously consider returning it and buying the Amplifi.  (I may attempt to return it anyway, when the stores open again!)  Because there are so many different forum topics for this problem, it's difficult to keep track of where I had seen things.  There was a response from Netgear to somebody where the problem was acknowledged and Netgear response was that it was due to AX being enabled.  I don't think that I have any devices that are AX capable (maybe my Samsung S10+ ?) so I had toyed with the idea of turning off that feature to see what happens.  If I try this, I will post the results.

Message 35 of 133
K-Mo81
Tutor

Unfortunately turning off AX mode did NOT work for me. I got two days without any disconnects so it seemed promising and then today it disconnected while I was on my PS4.

This is very disappointing since I can’t return it either. Netgear, please work on finding a fix!
Message 36 of 133
txchuko
Guide

If you havent tried the following please do so

log on to router web interface

under wan or lan in the advanced settings, disable port scan.

also if you are having issues with multiple consoles, also in wan or lan, set nat filtering to “open” or “off.

Message 37 of 133
txchuko
Guide

Reposting so someone who is having issues with lan disconnecting can see if it helps...

If you havent tried the following please do so

log on to router web interface

under wan or lan in the advanced settings, disable port scan.

also if you are having issues with multiple consoles, also in wan or lan, set nat filtering to “open” or “off.

Message 38 of 133
K-Mo81
Tutor

The newest firmware that came out has not corrected this problem. Such a shame! I can’t even use the lan cable for my computer now either.
Message 39 of 133
mettedu
Tutor

Tried it and still same problem after about a day. 

Message 40 of 133
mettedu
Tutor

Has anyone gotten the support contract from Netgear and held them to the fire and told them to fix it yet?

Message 41 of 133
Panda9
Guide

Finally got me the nest mesh and I can't believe what i was missing out on, i can finally update my programs after over 3 months of struggle, its been a daily issue and im about to set this thing on fire and post it on YouTube
Message 42 of 133
SINCALTREV
Tutor

I’m tellin ya! I got the AMPLIFI Alien. I’m hooked! Slick app interface and awesome performance. I am never recommending/buying a anetgear product again!
Message 43 of 133
Hugesock
Initiate

Same problem. Two wired PS4’s which disconnect randomly every other day or so.
Very dissppointed to learn that so many other customers face the same issue, and yet there is no answer from netgear.
My simple solution: I’ve put a cheap swich between my fiber modem and the router, bypassing the $400 router as far as wired connections goes. That seems to do the job. Not happy with the product and lack of service though 😞
Message 44 of 133
Chocobofarm
Guide

I'm using a similar workaround: I'm bypassing the $400 RAX80 router by using another router for my LAN connections. As it is, I'm using the RAX80 solely as a wifi access point that's connected to my router. The RAX80 currently isn't reliable as a LAN router. I wonder what NETGEAR is doing about this issue. It's indeed a big problem to have for a $400 router.  

Message 45 of 133
GabboCH
Apprentice

they are doing nothing.

Just look how many issues there are & how long they have been open without any acceptance or feedback that there is a problem they are looking into.

Message 46 of 133
ScaryPlotter
Initiate

eh, ALIEN has its own problems. I did same thing, switched to ALIEN few months ago, and never got speeds close to what netgear gets and im talking LAN connection not wireless. with net gear im pushing 700mbps, with ALIEN out of the box it capped at 550. Now after yesterdays firmware update it caps at 300. it got so low so while im support with ALIEN i plugged back in my nighthawk to see after months of not using it maybe they fixed this lan connection drop.. but they didn't.. had a few drops yesterday (same day as plugged in). so throwing money at the problem does not solve it, either $350 router and 1/2 speeds or $250 router and 3/4 speeds with random drops. awesome. 

Message 47 of 133
charlesfisher87
Aspirant

I literally have had the EXACT same experience as you. Same devices and timeline etc. I've been really looking into this but haven't been able to resolve it. I really hope we both get some answers on this. Best of luck.

Message 48 of 133
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

There is a new firmware version 1.0.3.88 that resolves the LAN / WAN disconnections. Just have to do a factory reset after upgrading firmware. 

Message 49 of 133
ubedawg
Star

Thanks @SAM_the_GAM   What are you using to determine that there have been no drops?   After a long time of getting booted out of online console games, I only figured it out by looking at the router logs.  There were no other indications that a drop was occurring.  I would be thrilled to be able to reconnect my xbox to ethernet instead of wifi, but I would like to be sure that this really was fixed before going through the hassle of a factory reset.  The chances of remembering all of the settings are slim to none.  

I just checked log files and sure enough, there are the dreaded entries that occur when the WAN disconnect occurs::

[Internet connected] IP address: xx.xx.xx.xxx, Wednesday, Jun 03,2020 11:33:35
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Wednesday, Jun 03,2020 11:33:34

Huh.  Another anomaly.  I don't have any log entries prior to 5:30 today, just this repeated about a few hundred times.  Weird.
Wednesday, Dec 31,1969 19:00:00

Message 50 of 133
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7