× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 randomly disconnects LAN cable

Chocobofarm
Guide

I get both anomalies in my logs too. The second one doesn't show up that often though. I didn't bother figuring out what it means or what causes it. But, from what I gather, it's mostly the first one that makes this router look like a bad joke for gaming.
Message 51 of 133
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

@ubedawg wrote:

Thanks @SAM_the_GAM   What are you using to determine that there have been no drops?   After a long time of getting booted out of online console games, I only figured it out by looking at the router logs.  There were no other indications that a drop was occurring.  I would be thrilled to be able to reconnect my xbox to ethernet instead of wifi, but I would like to be sure that this really was fixed before going through the hassle of a factory reset.  The chances of remembering all of the settings are slim to none.

I am checking the router statistics in the Advanced screen. I am checking the uptime. After about 48 hours WAN / LAN still disconnect and reconnect. However, the disconnections are happenning less often then with previous firmware giving the illusion that WAN / LAN disconnections is resolved.  

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 52 of 133
GabboCH
Apprentice

I had both in my router logs too with all the firmware I've tried.

I hardwired my Xbox & tv's in both rooms to avoid the Wi-Fi problems only to see the same with LAN.

I have a tv with android & it shows a message every time "Ethernet cable disconnected " so it was pretty easy to see when out was occurring each time.
Message 53 of 133
nchtrs
Tutor

Wanted to use a wifi 6 router, since most of my devices are compatible.

First I bought the new AX6, had connectivity issues both wifi and LAN.

Fought with it for a week, returned it to Costco, and I decided to give Netgear another shot.
So I got AX8 5700 from Costco 3 week ago. Wanted to use a wifi 6 router, since most of my devices are compatible.

Exact same issue other are having. 
iPv4 or IPv6 didn't seem to matter.

Constant disconnects. Both the TV and the Xbox one X disconnect simultaneously. Oddly, the windows 10 PC on port one never disconnects.

Swapped out the Cat5e's for cat6 on the Xbox, no dice.

My son games and I ask him, when I get disconnected,  he says he is still online. I tried static IP's for all of my devices. Worked for about 48mhours. I have to power cycle the router to reconnect my devices, or reboot the devices.
Both the LG TV and Xbox, show not connected via LAN. Previous nighthawk X4 was flawless with the identical setup. 

The 5ghz network just disappears, and when I log into the router, the channel number just shows ASCII type jibberish.

Have to reset or power cycle to get the 5ghz back.

latest firmware, have not reverted to prior firmware, seem pointless.

I have reset to factory settings, still no long term resolution, as if a day is long term, but for this issue it is.

I haven't had issues like this in over 20 years dating back to 802.11b, when it went mainstream.

Last I check, it's 2020 and we didn't just start using wifi and Netgear most certainly should be able to fix this after the first post popped up.

I have spent too much time trying to resolve an issue I should not be having in this day and age of wifi, especially LAN issues.

I feel like I'm back on AOL dial up, just waiting for,the next disconnect.

Going to return this and hook my X4 back up, until I can decide which brand and router I will be getting.

Message 54 of 133
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello nchtrs, 

Welcome to the community! Have you had a chance to contact our Support Team regarding this? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 55 of 133
K-Mo81
Tutor

So I did the latest firmware and had really high hopes. I made it close to a week with no disconnects on the PS4. Then tonight, it happened again. One disconnect in a week is better than none but still disappointing that it isn’t 100% fixed yet.

I am in the middle of working with Netgear support but my last contact was before the firmware and they were looking at my debug log.
Message 56 of 133
K-Mo81
Tutor

Correction, one disconnect a week is better than one to two a day.
Message 57 of 133
nchtrs
Tutor

I haven't had a chance to goto Costco and do a return yet, so this week I decided to power cycle the router for 10 seconds every evening, and only the router, not the modem. The outcome was no surprise, no disconnects have occurred at all, and everything works as it should. I do work for an ISP and have been dealing with trouble shooting wireless routers since they were first introduced. We used netgear for many years for our customers. All the usual SOP trouble shooting has been done. It is definitely a firmware issue. The corrupted/ASCII WiFi channels are all telling in this regard. My internet equipment is on a battery backup, so power flickers do not occur on the router or modem as they always have a consistent and steady power source. I also have maintained my static IPs for my devices as well out of curiosity. Damn thing works perfectly, as it should without a power cycle. I only ever made it 4 days without an issue when I first got the router and then the issue became more erratic and frequent, sometimes only minutes between disconnects, then it would be fine for an hour or two. The odd thing was, a power cycle only corrected the issue for a brief time. I also never did a factory rest until my 5ghz ssid just disappeared and the 2.4 ssid was present, but I could no longer connect to it either and I could not make any changes because of the firmware corruption. I could not even click on channel selection drop down, it did not exist on the 5ghz menu, but it was fine for the 2.4. The new firmware works as long as I powercycle, its the long term, where it is expected to just work and not require a power cycle, as my old tried and true X4 behaved, that I miss.

Message 58 of 133
GabboCH
Apprentice

Will be interesting what feedback you get from the support.
I sent around 5 logs with wifi & LAN dropouts in separate logs without any feedback except "please take some more logs".
The support team didn't even know a new firmware was released when I asked them about it.

It doesnt take much for Netgear to pick one of the users closest to them & stick an engineer on a plane to visit & debug the issues on site given so many people have the exact same problems.
Or least take back a few of the problem routers & reproduce a similar setup in the test lab.

The lack of any feedback or public information about these issues makes me sure Netgear know about the cause but don't want to own-up.
I guess replacing hardware where only a small percentage of users actually recognise the problem isn't cost effective
Message 59 of 133
txchuko
Guide

I wonder if setting up an auto power cycle with a programmable power outlet plug would case any kind of damage to the router in the long run. Could be set up to run daily or eveyry ither day at any given time.

@nchtrs wrote:

I haven't had a chance to goto Costco and do a return yet, so this week I decided to power cycle the router for 10 seconds every evening, and only the router, not the modem. The outcome was no surprise, no disconnects have occurred at all, and everything works as it should. I do work for an ISP and have been dealing with trouble shooting wireless routers since they were first introduced. We used netgear for many years for our customers. All the usual SOP trouble shooting has been done. It is definitely a firmware issue. The corrupted/ASCII WiFi channels are all telling in this regard. My internet equipment is on a battery backup, so power flickers do not occur on the router or modem as they always have a consistent and steady power source. I also have maintained my static IPs for my devices as well out of curiosity. Damn thing works perfectly, as it should without a power cycle. I only ever made it 4 days without an issue when I first got the router and then the issue became more erratic and frequent, sometimes only minutes between disconnects, then it would be fine for an hour or two. The odd thing was, a power cycle only corrected the issue for a brief time. I also never did a factory rest until my 5ghz ssid just disappeared and the 2.4 ssid was present, but I could no longer connect to it either and I could not make any changes because of the firmware corruption. I could not even click on channel selection drop down, it did not exist on the 5ghz menu, but it was fine for the 2.4. The new firmware works as long as I powercycle, its the long term, where it is expected to just work and not require a power cycle, as my old tried and true X4 behaved, that I miss.

Message 60 of 133
nchtrs
Tutor

I returned it to Costco yesterday. I'll wait for the next revision and give them another go. I like being a first adopter, however not at the expense of my sanity. I understand nothing is perfect when it first comes out, but LAN should always work, without the hoops to jump through.

Message 61 of 133
sajin007
Tutor

Hi,

Very disappointed with this disconnect issue, I am seeing it more after a recent upgrade to fix the issue of not being able to reserve more than 4 IP addresses. Wondering if I should downgrade to previous version.

Message 62 of 133
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have seen issue more often also. Downgrading firmware is not an option for me since need to have security fixes in place due to working from home. Will have to tough it out as usual... have no faith in them fixing the problem since it has existed for over a year now with no real acknowledgment of the issue even existing even with reports from many users.

Message 63 of 133
Chocobofarm
Guide

Is there even an older firmware version which doesn't have the ethernet LAN disconnections issue?

I'm now using the RAX80 solely as a wifi AP because of that issue. However, I bought it thinking that it would be my only router, with a reliable ethernet LAN. I didn't need an AP.

But you know what? My new main router (from tp-link) never disconnects anything from the internet. It is RELIABLE and all its features WORK. It also has great QoS performance (unlike the RAX80). And it was less expensive. I wish I could have returned the RAX80. But, I didn't notice the disconnections issue at first. When I noticed it it was already too late. So, I bought a tp-link router as a replacement (it's the archer 4000 and I highly recommend it.)

That being said, if there's a FM version with reliable ethernet, I'd really be interested to know. I'd love to wire my second desktop PC to the RAX80 (since it's physically really close to it). But as it is, I'm not going to connect a high performance gaming PC to an AP that periodically kicks me out of online games.
Message 64 of 133
rudziankou
Aspirant

Hi all, I have same issue with my RAX75.

Here is my setup:
ATT Fiber 1000 Mbps + Nighthawk RAX75
Firmware Version 1.0.3.102_1.0.48
Message 65 of 133
NeckGearNat
Tutor

I've constantly kept my firmware upgraded but I've been getting this issue more frequently. I have purchased new cat6 cables, changed all of the settings in this thread and changed ports on the router. I'm still dealing with this PS4 Lan Cable disconnected issue once or twice a day. It's a major issue for me because I do youtube and streaming so even a once second drop out in on online game is a BIG problem.

Message 66 of 133
Chocobofarm
Guide

As far as I'm aware, there's no fix for this issue. The RAX80 simply isn't a reliable router for ethernet connections.
Message 67 of 133
SINCALTREV
Tutor

The AMPLIFI Alien. Best router I’ve ever had. I’m approaching 40 devices, that vary with Wifi 4, 5 & 6 and they all work fantastic. They are smart home devices like light bulbs, iRobot roomba, smart outlets, 2 security cams and more and I’ve never had connection issues. PS4 download/upload is actually better on this router. I can’t stress enough look at Amplifi’s offerings!
Message 68 of 133
Chocobofarm
Guide

I use a tp-link ac tri band router as my main router for LAN connections and everything works fine. The RAX80 is connected to it via a CAT6 cable and works as a wifi access point only. It's actually a very good AP. But, it sucks as a router.
Message 69 of 133
rudziankou
Aspirant

How about the other RAX routers from netgear? Do they have this issue too?
Message 70 of 133
Chocobofarm
Guide

Someone in this thread wrote that he has the same issue with his RAX75.
Message 71 of 133
rudziankou
Aspirant

What about RAX120?
Message 72 of 133
ubedawg
Star

@NeckGearNat  This has been going on for so long, I don't think Netgear will ever address it.  Just now I saw my work VOIP phone blink, then got a 'No Connection' on the display.  It took a few minutes then it reconnected with an IP assigned.  I was also streaming Xbox to my laptop while working and that got disconnected, too.  (I had connected XB to Ethernet a few days ago, which apparently was a mistake).  First thing I did was go to my router logs and there it is, proof that the RAX disconnected from modem:

[Internet connected] IP address: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx, Friday, Oct 23,2020 09:49:16
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, Oct 23,2020 09:49:14

I keep this router because it provides whole house coverage and I paid so much for it, I hate to trash and shell out more $$ for something else.  But I am seriously considering another, if anybody can offer a substitute with good coverage.  NO mesh systems, though.  Have had nothing but trouble with those.  

Message 73 of 133
NeckGearNat
Tutor

Sucks having paid so much for this router for it to be so unrelaible. Not sure what else to try outside of keeping my consoles on wifi.

Message 74 of 133
Chocobofarm
Guide

You can put the RAX80 behind an ethernet router and connect your consoles and computers to that router instead. The RAX80 does work well as a wifi6 access point. That being said, I would have never have bought it if I had known about its ethernet disconnections issue.
Message 75 of 133
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7