× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 randomly disconnects LAN cable

Djg1984
Guide

Most of the ethernet cables are at least cat 5 but there is at least a couple of them which are newer cat 6 cables. Im sure the cable from modem to router is cat 6 and also the cable from the switch to router is also cat 6. The switch model is netgear GS308V2.
Message 126 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

It's recommended to run same version of CAT# cable and not mix newer versions with older versions. 

Also CAT5 does not officially support 1000Mpbs connection rates. 5E is were that started. Cables are fairly inexpensive these days and you might take a overall sweep and upgrade to all CAT6 to be sure all is good there. 

Message 127 of 133
Djg1984
Guide

Yeah that is something that i could do, ordering a few new cables wont be an issue. Is worth a try but i dont think the cabling is the issue but i could be wrong. Apart from the rax70, my setup and cabling is exactly the same as before and never had any issues. I upgraded as my R7500 was quite a few years old, so thought after a couple of months of having the new 1gb broadband i would get a more modern router. Had no issues with anything internet related or disconnections, has only occurred since after installing the rax70.
Message 128 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

Well lets hope this maybe helpful to the RAX80 owners since this is a RAX80 thread. I wouldn't presume they are the same however may not be much different either. Anything is possible when it comes to these things. 

Enjoy your RAX70.  Be sure to save off a new backup configuration to file. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Message 129 of 133
aant
Aspirant

Hi All , I took a chance to factory reset RAX80 and then upgrade to latest firmware V1.0.10.140_1.0.79. No settings restored from back up - all clean and fresh .  Still I see internet connected statements in log twice a day.  I dont really care this disconnection now a days because my WFH laptop is directly connected to AT&T fiber hub through LAN because it is not fun to drop VPN during work.  Rest all my household use RAX80 which is a pass through from fiber hub.  The bottom line is latest firmware did not help. Awaiting responses from others who upgrade to latest firmware. Good luck Netgear fans! 

Message 130 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What CAT# lan cable are you using in between the router and modem/ONT and from router to your LAN devices? 

What LAN devices do you have connected? 

What are these "internet connected statements in log twice a day" log entries? Please copy and paste in a post. 

Is the laptops ethernet adapter drivers up to date from the Mfr of the adapter? 

Does the router feel warmer or hot to the touch by chance? 

Do wifi device experience same issues as the LAN side or no?

@aant wrote:

Hi All , I took a chance to factory reset RAX80 and then upgrade to latest firmware V1.0.10.140_1.0.79. No settings restored from back up - all clean and fresh .  Still I see internet connected statements in log twice a day.  I dont really care this disconnection now a days because my WFH laptop is directly connected to AT&T fiber hub through LAN because it is not fun to drop VPN during work.  Rest all my household use RAX80 which is a pass through from fiber hub.  The bottom line is latest firmware did not help. Awaiting responses from others who upgrade to latest firmware. Good luck Netgear fans! 

Message 131 of 133
Djg1984
Guide

Im aware this is an rax80 thread, was just the closest possible thread i found with people experiencing the same or similar issues. I dont believe there is massive difference compared to the rax70 in general but could be wrong
Message 132 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

RAX80
- Using BRCM chipset (Quad-Core 1.8GHz processor)
- 8-stream Dual-band
- 4x4/160MHz + 4x4 (4.8Gbps + 1.2Gbps)

RAX70
- Using BRCM chipset (Quad-core 1.5GHz processor)
- 8-stream Tri-band
- 4x4/160MHz + 2x2 + 2x2 (4.8Gbps + 1.2Gbps + 600Mbps)

As you can see, there are "some" differences. 

@Djg1984 wrote:
Im aware this is an rax80 thread, was just the closest possible thread i found with people experiencing the same or similar issues. I dont believe there is massive difference compared to the rax70 in general but could be wrong

Message 133 of 133
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7