× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 regularly disconnects devices, then they reconnect

anthonjhnon1
Guide

And yes I know I have some spelling errors, typing in frustration and in a rush to go to church.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 26 of 167
cliff344
Apprentice

I sat down on Sunday and tried once more to play with the settings and see If I could get this thing to stay working for more than 12hrs. To no avail, still having issues. While trying to manually set the wifi channels instead of auto select, I noticed when doing so, the guest network started showing up, even though it was set to off. So I turned it “on” and the guest network disappeared. So by turning it on in the GUI it shuts off, and by turning it off, it turned on. Another knock to this dysfunctional firmware. I have to ask this question to all you including support. Has anyone, and I mean anyone ever gotten this router to actually work and use it on a daily basis without an issue? Secondly shouldn’t we consider class action lawsuit for refund and force netgear to quit ripping people off making them take this product off the shelf since it clearly does not work, and Netgear has stolen our money? Netgear is fully aware of this yet they have done nothing about this. In comparison, you bought a new car, and it only runs for 2 hrs and shuts off. How is that any different?
Message 27 of 167
Bigtime68
Guide

Same issue as everyone else. Constantly disconnects and I have to unplug power from the wall to reconnect. A fix sure would be nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 28 of 167
GabboCH
Apprentice

I've been discussing with a Level2 support guy & so far hes given me no indication that these are known issues or that anyone is working on them.

I have to provide the router config & logs & he will forward me ase to the engineering team.

However, it looks like RAX owners are in it for the long-haul...

Message 29 of 167
cliff344
Apprentice

That's about on par for Netgear.  Seems like it was ONCE a great company with great products.  Now their support and  R&D has fallen short to the consumer.  So sad.  

Message 30 of 167
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Having the same problems as you all. RMA’d the first router. Second one still having issues with disconnects and just poor WiFi all around. Setting channels manually has not helped. My 5ghz band just disappears sometimes even though it’s on a non-radar channel. I’m assuming this can all be fixed with firmware. Just waiting on Netgear to get it together.
Message 31 of 167

I'm in the need to hard reset my router several times a day club as well with theRAX80.    My story is like everyone else: the RAX80 locks up, nothing can connect to the internet and cannot access the admin console via wifi or ethernet at 192.168.1.1/start.htm, attempted to select channels manually thinking there might be interference, disconnecting the printer from ethernet since it's throughput is 100MB/s whereas the rest of the LAN is 1000 MB/s.  None of the things I could logically try improved the stability.  I was having these issues when I purchased the router three or four months ago (and was running the latest firmware then) and so when V1.0.1.64_1.0.27 came out I was hopeful that it had finally addressed the stability issues.  No such luck and if anything I'd say it got slightly worse, from 1 or 2 hard resets a day required to now needing 2 or 3. 

And also, like other users I went to Netgear for the RAX80 specifically because I had used previous Netgear products (N600, and originally WRT54g) because they stayed up for months on end without needed intervention.  I had tried other brands, which which proved to be not as reliable, in the interim when upgrading routers in the early days, and those went back to the store under the 30 day return policy because they had the type of issues I'm now experiencing with Netgear!  I want Netgear to fix this or exchange the product for something reliable that works.

Even out of the box this thing has proved to be troublesome.  The iOS configuration app simply did not work because the firmware on the router was not compatible with the latest iOS app.  It's disappointing to see this level of poor quality in a product.  That initial time setting up I wasted a good hour because the warning messages were useless and made it seem things were "sort of" working. Once I figured out it wasn't going to work I realized you could simply go to the web interface just as on previous routers and bypass the iOS app altogether.  I agree with the other posters who have called this router garbage, unfortunately.

Netgear, since we are already your beta testers, why don't you send us some ACTUAL beta software that attempts to address these stability issues, logs what is going on when it locks up, and let us feed the data back to you, or point us to a previous firmware version that is known to be stable and instructions on how to flash it??

Message 32 of 167
GabboCH
Apprentice

If you open a support case you can send them logs from the router.

If you goto the router IP/debug.htm (e.g. 192.168.0.1/debug.htm you can turn on logging (Press Start Capture) and then each time an issue occurs click "save debug logs".

However, with the number of people experiencing the same issue for several months I'd expect that we would be testing new firmware by now rather than still trying to explain what the problem is.
Message 33 of 167

excellent, thank you for the link to their debug setup!

Message 34 of 167
anthonjhnon1
Guide

I can no longer take these disconnects. I'm selling mine on Ebay and going to get some Google nest routers. I need some reliability for my home security.
Message 35 of 167
anthonjhnon1
Guide

I've been a netgear user since 2008 but I think it's time for us to part ways.
Message 36 of 167

My WIFI routers have all been Netgear going back to WRT54g, and then N600.  So I've used netgear exclusively over a decade and a half.  WRT54g was rock solid on stability.  N600 had the occasionally lock-up but it had literally months of up-time before any issues.  Unbelievable that they can ignore this issue on RAX80 where up-time is never longer than 24 hours, and usually requires resetting the router several times a day.

Message 37 of 167
cliff344
Apprentice

We need to get a good class action lawyer to step in here and stick it Netgear.  Most of should demand refunds for this $300+ piece of junk.  

Message 38 of 167
Bigtime68
Guide

Netgear, any feedback on this serious issue?

Message 39 of 167
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Bigtime68, 

Our engineering team is looking into the reports that are coming in. We'd like to work with you on some of the issues you're reporting. If you're interested, please send me a message with your contact info and serial number.

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 40 of 167
allarone
Star

Christian,

I see the problem is still going on with many people.  I haven't posted anything new lately because it is just an exercise in futility.  I continue to have random connections drop once or twice a day.  I have done a factory reset since my original post, rebooted MANY times, and stayed up to date on firmware updates.  Currently running V1.0.1.64_1.0.27.  So nothing new, still happening, very irritated, ready to toss this thing out and buy something reliable.

Message 41 of 167
anthonjhnon1
Guide

I'm done with Netgear. Last week I sold mine on Ebay for $250 and went back to my AT&T router/modem combo. Never been happier. This week I bought the new Google Nest Wifi router and now I'm even happier. Haven't had any disconnects since I disconnected that Netgear router. I'm telling everyone now, get rid of it and you will feel 10x better.
Message 42 of 167
cliff344
Apprentice

Christan,

I would love to work more with you on this issue, however like many, I need a product that works “as advertised”. My RAX80 is sitting in a box right now because I cannot go without a good working router. I run 29-35 internet devices continually so I don’t have time to be a beta tester. Why should the consumer be the ones to help make this right? I work in Aerospace, and in my business you had better get it right the first time or people’s lives are at stake. I surely wish Netgear would take a more personal approach to proving their products like the RAX80 so that consumers like me don’t have to become your beta testers. A simple router surely doesn’t compare to an aerospace product, but surely many of us rely on products like this to perform around our daily lives. My home is set up around HA, so performance and reliability is key to making it successful. Anything less is unacceptable!
Message 43 of 167
GabboCH
Apprentice

Has anyone who is providing logs had any useful feedback based on what they've provided?

I've sent 6 or 7 log files of different issues over the last two or three weeks without any feedback. I've not been asked to change channels, reset anything, change any settings, disconnect any devices.

My conclusion from this is either no-one is looking at them or there is nothing wrong on my side with the setup, therefore it's clearly a Netgear issue...

The lack of feedback is the worst part.
We've got your €300 so we don't really care.
Message 44 of 167
GabboCH
Apprentice

This morning I connected an extender (Netgear a6s) I have in another part of the house in place of the RAX80.

I changed the SSID to my main one and all the other settings are default (including SmartConnect enabled).

Immediately all my devices connected without problems.
My tv connected to 5G and I'm able to stream 4k videos from YouTube without any buffering.

My Wi-Fi cams seem to show a lot less lag when streaming live video & everything seems much happy in general.
Amazing since this extender is 1/3 of the price or the RAX80...
Message 45 of 167
digitsnbits
Apprentice

I finally gave up on it and put it back in the box. I went out at got a tp Link ax3000 from Walmart that costs a whopping $129 and it blows the doors off the RAX80. Everything works as advertised, no disconnects and it's pretty close in WiFi speed and range. If these guys can do it, why can't Netgear get it together on theirs after months and months of BS.

If you think this is isolated it's not, go read the Orbi AX forum, same issues as this.

I'm done with Netgear, never again.

Message 46 of 167
allarone
Star

I'm with you!  After another disconnect last night, 5th of the day and about 20th this week, I put my old Netgear X6 back in and haven't had a disconnect since.  The RAX80 went back in the box.  Unfortunately it is past my return timeframe so it is just taking up space in a closet.  It is definately a piece of garbage and at some point I will purchase a new router again...but it won't be Netgear!  Done!

Message 47 of 167
cliff344
Apprentice

Still no updated firmware release?  Come on Netgear what's going on?  Will we wait till end of life on this product so you can literally screw everyone who's gifted their money to Netgear for this piece of junk?

Message 48 of 167
PigletRider
Apprentice

My RAX120 mirrors everything that's happening on the RAX80.   Christian was kind enough to reach out and work with me direct to open a ticket complete with logs.  But I've heard nothing since.

You expect a toaster to toast, a car to run, a radio to play music, a clock to tell time, etc...  These are basic functions.  As such, I'd expect my Netgear router to do the basics, connect my devices to the Internet at my ISP's rated throughput and maintain.  That's it!  It can have all the additional bells, whistles, bobbles, etc.  But it MUST connect my devices to the Internet at speed.  My Netgear router (RAX120) simply can't do that with any monicum of consistency.

Reboots don't fix the problem.  Loading the latest beta firmware doesn't fix the problem.  Numerous factory resets don't fix the problem.  Working with Netgear Support doesn't fix the problem.  And the worst part... Netgear is SILENT on all of this, not acknowledging these problems and letting their LOYAL customers know that a firmware fix is indeed coming.

I'll be looking for a replacement.  I need my toaster to toast.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 49 of 167
CaptGPF
Guide

Christian & Netgear support

I managed to stabilize my wireless network by running a wireless frequency scan in my neighborhood and changing by 2.4GHz & 5GHz bands to a low congestion band.  This + the changes you made in the beaconing settings may be causing the periodic disconnects.

To be honest with you - the relative silence on this matter is not sitting well with many of us.  If you are going to make us tinker with our routers to fix these issues - Netgear needs to step up to the plate and:

1. Give us Wireless congestion detection apps on all mobile platforms - like your competitors - to tune our bands out of harm's way - or better yet, have the wireless router detect and recommend a less congested band for the user
  2. Stop dumbing down the interface by shielding basic settings such as beaconing - so we are a slave to firmware updates we have to apply due to security concerns - ultimately killing ourf wireless networks -- unless the security fix to wireless is to make it non-functional
  3. Stand behind your products for a change.  90 days of free technical support before you have to pay for it?  That's a sterling statement of confidence in your product - which sees many firmware revisions during its marketable lifecycle

Many of us are doing you a favor by bringing this to your attention because we liked (pastg-tense) Netgear - where it used to stand for quality, reliability and performance.  Your appathy on this (and the RAX120) stability issues clearly tells us that we shouldn't have even bothered to be a loyal consumer with the feedback.

Message 50 of 167
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7