× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 setup as second router

Gentman
Aspirant

RAX80 setup as second router

How can you setup the AX80 in bridge mode via cable.

I tried everything.  When you set the AX80 in Accespoint mode then there a lot of functionalities that doesn’t work.

My provider says to setup the router just by disabling the DHCP on the AX80. But it seems that this doesn’t work. All the devices connected to the AX80 receives an ip address from the AX80 and not from my modem.

I like that everyone connected via the modem (mostly via Lan cable) or the one connected to the RAX80 can access the other devices (network printer, network nas…).

My television must be connected by my provider to the modem.  But now my TV can no longer access my NAS to look at some films.

I am looking to find a solution that everyone, connected to the modem or connected via cable/wif at the netgear can see everyone in my network and that I can use all the functions available on the AX80.

I tried really everything but couldn’t find a solution.

Have anyone any idea…

Personally for me it’s a bug that disabling the DHCP is not working.  Otherwise I don’t understand why using the AccesPoint mode you can’t setup the parental control, vpn,

Thanks.

Peter.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX80 setup as second router

problem is you're running a double nat when you use 2 routers in router mode on 1 network.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Putting the netgear in access point mode fixes that because it disables the routing features. Which in turn disables things like parental controls. Reason this happens is because to use parental controls, your devices need to be on the same subnet and controlled by the netgear. By running your ISP supplied device, then netgear can't control it. 

You're wanting the best of both worlds without really being able to do it. 

What ISP supplied modem/router is it? 

Why can't you go 

Modem----->RAX----->devices

and just put the modem/router in passthrough/modem only mode?

If you're needing extra ports, you can always get a cheap switch to connect to the RAX. 

Message 2 of 8
Razor512
Prodigy

It all depends on which functions you want, If you just want 3 major functions, AP, unmanaged switching, and readyshare (USB storage on the router), then simply connecting an Ethernet cable from the WAN port from the RAX80, to your new router, and it will work fine with no double NAT issue, and essentially function transparently.

If you want all of the LAN side features, then you can leave the RAX 80 in router mode, and then change its local IP, e.g., instead of 192.168.1.1, you can change it to something like 192.168.1.250 or really anything else (very important), after that, disable the DHCP on that secondary, router, and then connect it to your main router using a LAN to LAN connection (WAN port is left empty).

That will achieve the same end result of AP mode but all LAN side functions will remain enabled. Just be sure to keep DHCP disabled when wired this way, otherwise you will get tons of random weird issues.

PS when doing a LAN to LAN setup, functions like dynamic DNS, and VPN server functions built into the secondary router, will not function even though you can enable them.

Message 3 of 8
antinode
Guru

> I tried everything. [...]

Must be hopeless, then.

> [...] When you set the AX80 in Accespoint mode then there a lot of
> functionalities that doesn't work.

What, exactly, are these disabled "functionalities"?

https://kb.netgear.com/26765

> [...] my provider [...] the modem [...]

What are they?

> Personally for me it's a bug that disabling the DHCP is not working.
> [...]

A better description might be that you're asking for the impossible.

> [...] I don't understand why using the AccesPoint mode you can't setup
> the parental control, vpn,

Those are router features, not wireless-access-point features.

Message 4 of 8
Gentman
Aspirant

Dear,

I am sorry, I am a little bit lost….

I made a little drawing of my config that I like to achieved.

Before my Ns was connected to the Netgear Switch with Aggregation and the RAX80 was a simple WIFI extender of Dlink.

I replaced the Dlink with the RAX. More performant and more functionalities as VPN, Aggregation,……

I have some PC that are cabled connected to the netgear Switch.  And some devices that are connected via Wifi via the RAX.

The Wifi on the BBOX is disabled.

The BBOX is Proximus device and the TV-box must be linked to the BBOX.

For the moment my VPN is now on my Nas but I like to move this to the RAX.

How can I make it all works that PC1 can print, write to the nas.  That TV can have acces my Nas.

What do you think it is the best solution to put everything in place.

Thanks.

Peter.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 8
antinode
Guru

> I replaced the Dlink with the RAX. More performant and more
> functionalities as VPN, [...]

Some such features work only when the router is used as a router, not
when it's used as a wireless access point.

>       https://kb.netgear.com/26765

> The Wifi on the BBOX is disabled.

Disabling the wireless-network radio(s) on a router does not stop it
from being a router.  Nor does calling it a "MODEM".

> For the moment my VPN is now on my Nas but I like to move this to the
> RAX.

See above.

> How can I make it all works that PC1 can print, write to the nas.
> That TV can have acces my Nas.

Use one router, not more.  If your (unspecified) "BBOX" can be
configured as a modem-only, then you could use the RAX80 as that one
router.  But then, the only device which you could connect to the
(unspecified) "BBOX" would be the RAX80.  (And possibly the TV.)

Another one-router arrangement would be what you have now, but with
the RAX80 configured as a WAP.  Which would disable some of its
features.  As suggested above.

> That will achieve the same end result of AP mode but all LAN side
> functions will remain enabled. [...]

I'll bite.  What are these "LAN side functions" which "will remain
enabled" (and work as expected?) which would _not_ be available in the
documented WAP mode?

> [...] functions like dynamic DNS, and VPN server functions built into
> the secondary router, will not function even though you can enable them.

So, your (ad-hoc WAP mode) scheme would do what, exactly, to satisfy
this user's desires?  Nothing?

Message 6 of 8
Razor512
Prodigy

For the functions you want from the RAX80, you would need to use it as your main router.

For your TV service, what is the exact limitation, as there may be a workaround there?

For example, I currently use Verizon Fios, the on-demand function uses the WAN connection, but the STBs all have their Ethernet ports disabled, thus they need internet connectivity over MoCA. The solution I used instead of using the horrible Verizon G1100 router as my main router, was instead to change its LAN IP to something other than 192.168.1.1. I then disabled the DHCP server on it, as well as disabling the WiFI radios on it, and connected it to my RAX50 via a LAN to LAN connection, this essentially turned the G1100 into a MoCA to Ethernet bridge, allowing all of the STBs in the house to have internet access.

I then forwarded the ports needed. In my case, For the DVR, I needed to forward ports 61345 to internal port 63145 for the DVR, as well as forwarding port 35000 to internal port 8082. This restored the full functionality of the Fios DVR box even though I am not using the horrid G1100 as my main router.

The reasons why your current desired config will not work.

If you have your NAS connected to the RAX80, but also waant the RAX80 to ve a VPN server, then you would have to leave it in router mode and use do a WAN to LAN connection, and then forward the VPN port on the main router, to the IP of the RAX80, and have the main router managed your dynamic DNS updates. (enabling dynamic DNS on the RAX 80, just long enough to generate your openVPN config file, and then disabling dynamic DNS and leaving the main router to handle all updates).

The problem is on a double NAT, if your NAS is on the RAX80, then any system connected to the main router will not be able to access it.

If you do a LAN to LAN connection between the RAX 80 and your main router, then the VPN server on the router will not be functional.

Overall, your best bet is to figure out why your current set top boxes want to be on the ISP provided gateway, often it is simply due to auto generated port forwards.

For example, with my fios service, when you connect a STB to the network, verizon automatically uses their remote access function on the router, and inputs the needed port forwards for the STBs. Simply inputting the same port forwards in the 3rd party router, achieves the same end results for the additional functions. Overall consider lookint into your current service provider to see if they are doing something similar.

Message 7 of 8
Gentman
Aspirant

Dear,

Based on you responses, I think the solution for me is :

- user only my BBOX as router, disable wifi, and only connect my TV-box on this divice.

use as ip 192.168.1.1.

- connect the ax-80 to the BBOX via a lan cable and let this divice work as router. 

use ip 192.168.1.2.

- All my wifi devices are connected to the rax-80 wifi. The network printer and nas  are connected via cable to the nas.  The other PC, alarm , television are connected to the netgear switchbox that is connected to the RAX.

- With this setup I can use all the possibilities of the rax.

- The only thing is, if i need to have a look at the setup of the bbox, i must connect directly via cable to this device.  Normally I need not the lookup this device. Only in case of troubles with the connection.

See also the new config schema.

Kind regards, 

Peter.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7