× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 - slow speeds

majeremiah
Tutor

I am way past 30 days, wasting to much time hoping for a solution.

Got mine at Costco, I will see if they will take this one back.  I already sent the first one back, so they should understand this product is garbage.

Message 51 of 62
mayeen12
Star

I finally fixed my problem 🙂

Final Results, I'm getting FULL 940 to 985 MBPS download (From Internet & Internal NAS Drive) - both in wired and wifi mode.

PLEASE NOTE** All my clients are wired or AC or AX devices.

Step 1 - Get the latestest firmware 

Step 2 - Turn OFF QOS

Step 3 - Turn OFF Traffic Meter

Step 4 - Turn OFF Access Control

Step 5 - Test you MTU from a wired connection > https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router

Step 6 - Adjust your MTU settings >> https://kb.netgear.com/24015/How-do-I-change-the-MTU-size-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Step 7 - Use WiFI Analizer - FIND THE BEST CH for WiFI - I put AUTO for 2.4 and CH36 for 5ghz 

Step 8 - ENABLE BEAMFORMING > DISABLE MUMIMO > ENABLE AX

- So there is couple of other things i did, like use non netgear NTP server.. not sure if that even matters

Message 52 of 62
billafin
Aspirant

Just wanted to chime in for any lurkers, this solution WORKS. The issues seem to be tied to steps 2-4. Everything was back up to about 1000/1000 after I changed these settings. 

Thank you for the solution @mayeen12 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 53 of 62
RaviC
Aspirant

I have a very similar problem. Same isp with 1000 mbps. Same arris modem. When connected to the modem directly, I get 900+ Mbps down. However the 2.4 ghz is barely 30 Mbps and the 5 ghz is between 280 and 340 Mbps. These were the same speeds for the Netgear nighthawk ax6 and x6 ac3200 routers. Both of them are very disappointing.
Message 54 of 62
hsman
Tutor

For me, resolved with

• MTU set to 1472
  • QoS Off (default)
  • Ipv6 Off (default)
  • Traffic Meter On (default) so it's not the problem
  • Control access is enabled so it's not the problem

Got 950Mbps (Wired).

Message 55 of 62
hsman
Tutor

Edit (sorry) :

• Traffic Meter Off (With On, indeed, slow speed)
Message 56 of 62
monyx
Aspirant

I have the same issue with regards to my download and upload speeds being in the ~900mbps range when directly connected to my modem, but ~350mbps (down/up) when connected to my RAX80.

I was not able to enable and then disable QoS as it hangs on 'Attempting to connect to Netgear Server. Please Wait...' followed by 'No new database version available.'

I did have a *little* success following one of the other above steps. I followed the instructionsd on determing the optimal MTU settings (in my case that number came out to be 1300). This had no noticeable effect. I changed it to 1472 as someone above had mentioned and my download speed went from ~350mbps to ~450mbps and my upload went from ~350mbps to ~900mbps. So from 350/350 to 450/900. 

Another interesting thing I noticed was that when I was testing the speed through the RAX80's QoS Setup menu it varied significantly from my speedtest.net speeds after the last MTU change. Before making the last MTU change, it was relatively close to the values I was seeing through speedtest.net. After the change it now shows my down/up as ~800/400

Speedtest.net ->  450/900

QoS Menu -> 800/400

Message 57 of 62
Yogie
Aspirant

Hi - I have the same issue.

Message 58 of 62
DrQuickbeam
Initiate

Thanks @plemans I was having this problem on my RAX80 and tried your suggestions.

With QoS automatically detecting my speed on a gigabit connection, I got 253mbps down and 5mbps up.  After manually setting my speeds in QoS to 900mbps down and 50 mbps up I started getting 938mbps down and 41mbps up.  I ponied up for top tier Netgear router and modem this time and have been plagued with issues, and then they want you to pay more for tech support via phone. Very dissapointed. Many thanks for your adivce on this one. 

Message 59 of 62
Pasadian
Aspirant

I upgraded to 1Gig speed from 400 Mbs last week with my Spetrum ISP which cost me $300 for them to make a service call.  And after all that I only got 500Mbs down max.  They said it was my router which is brand new, this RAX80 does not handle Gig in my case. 

Message 60 of 62
plemans
Guru

@Pasadian If you want to start your own thread, we're happy to try to help you.

include:

modem

firmware on router

what steps you've tried to fix it

how you're testing (what device, wired, website, etc)

Message 61 of 62
Pasadian
Aspirant

modem: EU2251 DOCSIS3.1

firmware on router:

modem: EU2251 DOCSIS3.1

firmware on router: V1.0.3.102_1.0.48

how you're testing (what device, wired, website, etc):

• MODEM>ROUTER (RAX80)

Router wouldn't pass 400 Mbps wired on Speed Test.

• MODRM>DIRECT TO COMPUTER BYPASSING THE RAX80 

I get s speed of 940 Mbps wired on Speed Test like it should be.

I determined it must be router. But I read setting the MTU to 1472 from the default 1500 should work, I already reverted my service back to ultra (400 Mbps) so I guess I'll never know. 

how you're testing (what device, wired, website, etc):

• MODEM>ROUTER (RAX80)

Router wouldn't pass 400 Mbps wired on Speed Test.

• MODRM>DIRECT TO COMPUTER BYPASSING THE RAX80 

I get s speed of 940 Mbps wired on Speed Test like it should be.

I determined it must be router. But I read setting the MTU to 1472 from the default 1500 should work, I already reverted my service back to ultra (400 Mbps) so I guess I'll never know. 

Message 62 of 62
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7