× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 to CM1100 Link Aggregation questions

gwbaker
Guide

RAX80 to CM1100 Link Aggregation questions

Searched already, answer not found.

RAX80 connected to CM1100 cable modem with gigabit service.

When I connected the WAN and LAN1 ports to the CM1100 ports 1 (WAN) and port 2 (LAN1), both the CM1100 and RAX80 report that link aggregation is active and all is good.  EXCEPT, the internet link goes dead.  If I disable link aggregation and go to only one connection via the RAX80 WAN, it is all good.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.  With the LAG active notice, I thought I had it right.

Any ideas?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
gwbaker
Guide

I guess I had a gremlin infecting my system for a while.  It is now working just fine, and I have no idea why.  Nothing changed.

FIRST let me acknowledge Netgear's AWESOME technical support.  From reading my forum post, tech support reached out, obtained my contact information and my odd availability schedule.  They worked around my time and called me at my home to help figure this out.  One of the trouble shooting requests was to check the router internet light to see if it indicated connectivity.  When I reconnected the ethernet wires and re-enabled everything to report my findings, suddely it is worked as it should.

I am not sure why.  I changed nothing.  Not even the ethernet cables were changed.  So, all is well even though I do not know why.

KUDOS goes to Netgear's tech support department.  They went WAY beyond in an effort to help me.  

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
gwbaker
Guide

More information...

I enable LAG on router...  All good

I enable LAG on CM110...  Internet dead (before and after ethernet cable connected)

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 10
gwbaker
Guide

More information in hopes of illicting a reply other than my own.

RAX80 router is now connected to a Netgear GSS116E 16 port gigabit managed switch.  The link between the RAX80 and GSS116E is using two ethernet cables connected to ports 4 and 5 on the rourter with LACP 802.3ab enabled on both ends.  The dual ethernet link aggregation is working just fine from the router to the switch.

Still no love with link aggregation between the RAX80 router and the Netgear CM1100 cable modem?  STILL LOOKING for an answer as to why I cannot get this to work (see orginal post for full question).

HELP!  ---  Anyone?

Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Ingeresting work-around. But curious: What's the point of running a WAN LAG on a Gigabit service? Or is the service allowing higher bandwidth?

Message 4 of 10
gwbaker
Guide

When I origionally posted this, I pondered if anyone would ask me why.  My initial thought was that I did not need to justify it, just help me fix it.  But, then again, why not respond graciously.

I am looking for load balancing and ensuring that I maximize the throughput between the router and the cable modem. 

Message 5 of 10
schumaku
Guru

And at the end of the day, you get more bandwidth out of the combo than one Gb/s on what does read like a Gb service?

As I said I love the idea putting a switch with the appropriate LAG config in the middle for troubleshooting and testing. 

Check the counters on the individual switch interfaces and compare to the LAG counters: I doubt there is any load balancing.

And in case you wonder why I'm curious: It does not get into my head on how an 802.3ad LACP LAG can reach higher total throughput than what a single link can do, as long as there is a single MAC on both ends - the router WAN/Internet MAC, and the cable modem MAC address.

Similar, hard to understand why a direct 802.3ad LACP LAG should ruin the throughput over time, too. Needless to say, like many other features and functions we have on Netgear consumer equipment, I would love to hear that the reason for the performance going down that heavily was identified by Netgear and is fixed.

Message 6 of 10
gwbaker
Guide

Hmm...  I just got an email stating that "A reply to a topic you are following has been accepted as a solution"!"

Not sure why that is as I am still having this problem and I have not yet received a proposal that even suggests a fix, let along fixes it.

Message 7 of 10
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello gwbaker - I'd like to get our Support Team in contact with you. When you get a chance, please send me a message with your contact info. 

~Christian 

Message 8 of 10
gwbaker
Guide

I guess I had a gremlin infecting my system for a while.  It is now working just fine, and I have no idea why.  Nothing changed.

FIRST let me acknowledge Netgear's AWESOME technical support.  From reading my forum post, tech support reached out, obtained my contact information and my odd availability schedule.  They worked around my time and called me at my home to help figure this out.  One of the trouble shooting requests was to check the router internet light to see if it indicated connectivity.  When I reconnected the ethernet wires and re-enabled everything to report my findings, suddely it is worked as it should.

I am not sure why.  I changed nothing.  Not even the ethernet cables were changed.  So, all is well even though I do not know why.

KUDOS goes to Netgear's tech support department.  They went WAY beyond in an effort to help me.  

Message 9 of 10
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @gwbaker - Happy to hear! Thanks for taking the time to provide an update to the rest of the Community! 

~Christian 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7