× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 wired performance

Pad70
Tutor

RAX80 wired performance

Nighthawk RAX80 replaced a Nighthawk R8500.   Cable modem is the CM1000.   Provider is Cox gigablast at 1 gb/s down and 35 mb/s up.  Setup is plain vanilla with no QOS.   Internal speedtest measures 925 mb/s down and 35 mb/s up so the connection is good.   With wireless turned off and only one computer directly connected to any ethernet port,  speedtest site (on the computer)  measures 470 mb/s down and 35 mb/s up. Tried connecting computer directly to the cable modem and measured 950 mb/s down and 35 mb/s up.  There is definitely a problem with the RAX80 internal gigabit switch.   Performance is half of the rated speed.   Hardware?  Firmware?  Has anyone else seen this?   Suggestions most welcome.   By the way,  Wifi performance is excellent and better than the R8500 so I don't want to dump this thing.   I may just make it an access point for Wifi and add a wired router such as the Linksys RT214 which has performed at rated speed for me in another location.

Message 1 of 7
Pad70
Tutor

Follow up from first post.   I replaced the RAX80 with an Orbi Router.   The Orbi significantly outperforms the RAX80 with wired connections.  Speedtest shows 968 mb/s down with the Orbi and 460 mb/s down with the RAX80.   I'm returning the RAX80.   It's clear to me that the RAX80 is not ready for customer shipment at this time.

Message 2 of 7
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had same issue and was able to fix it by factory reset. The issue came back after update to new firmware. I did not want to reset so I toggled QoS on and off. I left QoS off and I am getting 940Mbs on wired and up to 840Mbs on WiFi on my laptop. The issue has not returned for over three weeks now.

Message 3 of 7
Mjohnson4580
Tutor

I believe it has something to do with the broadcom chipset. There are several routers on the market an some are from netgear and others from asus. An if you check the forums for most the routers with broadcom chipset bcm4908 they all have the same issue. I personally have had 2 routers with that chipset. The asus RT-AX88U and the GT-AX11000. Both had better wifi perforance then ethernet. Im not sure if the ethernet boards are the same in all but they all have the same SOC. But it could just be a something else. Im not a engineer or anything just a tech savvy guy.

Message 4 of 7
JoseAndres041
Luminary

It could just be the QoS. You need to make sure that you have properly configured it.

Message 5 of 7
Mjohnson4580
Tutor

I dont think Qos has anything to do with it cause it happens regardless of wether its active or not.
Message 6 of 7
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, it happens when QoS is off. It as if the QoS is on but the visual indicator says it’s off. Toggling it to on and then toggling it to off makes it switch back to off position. I have done it twice and it worked both times. Not sure why QoS turns on by itself, but it clearly does... the speed get with QoS is the same speed see when the issue occurs, around 500Mbps which is half of my Gigabit connection. It also may be related to the names of devices not saving properly also. Can use access control to set names and a few days later all the saved names revert to default.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7