× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 wishes

dmystic1
Apprentice

RAX80 wishes

I'd like to see Plex and security like Trend Micro added to this device.

Message 1 of 14
myersw
Master

@dmystic1 wrote:

Buy a Asus router and you will have Trend Micro. Has to be licensed so would be upto Netgear to decide to pay for it. Probably less issues with the Asus as well.

Message 2 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Dmystic

Thanks for the suggestions of what you want to see on the RAX routers.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 14
myersw
Master

My biggest wish for the RAX80 is for a Netgear manager to take owner ship of the router both hardware and much more importantly the firmware so that we do not have the same fisco that the current Broadcom based routers have. Poor firmware seems to be the norm for Netgear and the routers with Broadcom chips. 

The firmware issues are what made me sell a r8000 and r8000p and to vow never to buy or recommend a Netgear router. 

Message 4 of 14
dmystic1
Apprentice

@myersw wrote:

My biggest wish for the RAX80 is for a Netgear manager to take owner ship of the router both hardware and much more importantly the firmware so that we do not have the same fisco that the current Broadcom based routers have. Poor firmware seems to be the norm for Netgear and the routers with Broadcom chips. 

The firmware issues are what made me sell a r8000 and r8000p and to vow never to buy or recommend a Netgear router. 

I said the same, yet here I am again.

Message 5 of 14
dmystic1
Apprentice

BTW is there a reason to not have auto channel selection on the 5ghz frequencies? 

Message 6 of 14
myersw
Master

@dmystic1 wrote:

I said the same, yet here I am again.

Some folks never learn. There are a number of other options besides Netgear.

Message 7 of 14
dmystic1
Apprentice

I have tried them all and there are issues in every company.

Message 8 of 14
dmystic1
Apprentice

@myersw wrote:

@dmystic1 wrote:

Buy a Asus router and you will have Trend Micro. Has to be licensed so would be upto Netgear to decide to pay for it. Probably less issues with the Asus as well.

I guess they partnered with Bitdefender, but its not available with RAX80 yet (if ever) and its also $70 a year!  https://www.netgear.com/landings/armor/?elqTrackId=41911040334d432081279174f9a158ad&elqaid=1977&elqa...

Message 9 of 14
myersw
Master

@dmystic1 wrote:

@myersw wrote:

@dmystic1 wrote:

I guess they partnered with Bitdefender, but its not available with RAX80 yet (if ever) and its also $70 a year!  https://www.netgear.com/landings/armor/?elqTrackId=41911040334d432081279174f9a158ad&elqaid=1977&elqa...

From the looks of it there may be a bit of gosh darn graphic, but I think what you are really doing is installing Bitdefender on all devices for $70. Depending on number of devices you have it might be a good price if that is the product you want. I run Bitdefender on my PC's and MAC laptop. Works well. They also sell a box that sits between the modem and the router to block everything early. Very limited number of routers and has been. Personally I would prefer Netgear focus on getting good solid firmware for all routers, then add in bells and whistles.

Message 10 of 14
dmystic1
Apprentice

It says it installs on the router.

Message 11 of 14
myersw
Master

Yes it does, but this suggests installing also on devices. 

https://www.netgear.com/landings/armor/#endpoint

At least that is how I read it. Only way I can see other then using VPN to home network to protect would be on devices. 

Message 12 of 14
dmystic1
Apprentice

The same way asus and tp-link do it.  On the router.  But you probably have license to install on devices also.

Message 13 of 14
StaticLNX
Star

I'd suggest downloading the source and adding them yourself

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements