× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAXE300 slow ReadySHARE USB SSD speeds

wildwestman
Guide

RAXE300 slow ReadySHARE USB SSD speeds

Hello,

just got the RAXE300 and generally i think that it is a great router and i like the WiFi 6E speeds. My PC is connected to the router (Intel AX210) with 2402/1922 (Mbps) speeds which is nice! 

The only issue which i have with the router are the really slow ReadySHARE USB C speeds. I only get about 37mb/s write speeds from my PC to the drive over the network, which is really slow. My old router (Nighthawk XR500) got around 60mb/s.

I expected quite a lot better speeds from this router and that is why i chosen it, but instead it is even slower then a 5 years old hardware (XR500) even when it supposedly has superior hardware over that router. 

I use the attached SSD to the router as a NAS so i expect it to have good speeds.

Any idea what the issue here is? Why are the USB speeds of the RAXE300 so slow? Is this a flawed design, a software issue or maybe just a configuration issue from my side

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

what format is it in? 

Have you tried a different usb device? 

I don't have a RAXE300 but my RAXE500 gets around 80-100mbps on my usb based ssd. Its just a generic enclosure with a sata 2 drive from an old computer. 

Message 2 of 10
wildwestman
Guide

It is formatted with NTFS. I have tried with two different devices (SSD and HDD), with no change. With both USB devices I get above 60mb/s on the old XR500.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

sorry, I don't have an RAXE300 to compare speeds with. I did find a review from Dongknows that had usb issues as well as it was only connecting at usb 2.0 speeds. 

https://dongknows.com/netgear-nighthawk-raxe300-wi-fi-6e-router-review/

Message 4 of 10
CallPaul
Apprentice

I have a RAXE300 also. I just attached a drive configured the same way and mine is pretty much the same speed. Could be a firmware problem I hope.

Message 5 of 10
wildwestman
Guide

I mean could this be an issue with the new USB controller which is obviously used on this router for the USB-C?

Also interestingly when i copy data from the USB drive network share to my PC, then the speeds go up to 90MB/s, which is what i would also expect from the write speeds. So i guess this is only a write issue?

During the copy process from my PC to the USB drive, i saw that the routers CPU load was just up to 8% so the CPU load should not be the issue here. The RAM usage during the copy on the other hand was 490MB/512MB, so this is quite at the limit.

I also hope that this is a firmware issue, as such speeds are honestly not acceptable nowadays, especially when 5 years older and lower trier hardware was performing better...

Message 6 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

@wildwestman I have sent you a PM 

DarrenM

Message 7 of 10

Hi @wildwestman @CallPaul ,

Did you use a Type C to USB 3.0/2.0 adapter HDD or just use a Type C HDD ? 

Message 8 of 10

Could you share more details like,

1. What's your HDD/ SSD brand ?

2. What kind of connected interface it is? TypeC/ USB3.0/ HSB2.0 ?

3. When you transfer the file from PC to readyshare, did you also running other application or playing the games ?

Message 9 of 10
wildwestman
Guide

My main USB SSD for storage is a Crucial X8 2TB drive. It is USB type C. I have tried two other USB drivers, one HDD and another SSD with the same result. So it is not a specific USB drive issue.

No, i did not run any other applications or games but that honestly does not matter. I am doing the exact same 1:1 scenarios as I used with the XR500 where i got over 60mb/s.

The interesting this is is that copying data to the PC from the readyshare drive, i get 90mb/s which is what i would expect. 

Another thing is that when i change to the 6GHz network, even that the link speeds 2402/2402(Mbps) reported by windows look better then on the 5GHz network, the write speed drops to around 30mb/s which is even worse. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7