× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAXE450 - Dual WAN Aggregation vs Load Balancing setup

isaaccoo
Star

RAXE450 - Dual WAN Aggregation vs Load Balancing setup

I have a RAXE450 router and my ISP is Verizon 5G Home and they provide a ASK-NCQ1338FA gateway router.

The signal kept going up and down so I got another line with an additional gateway routers. I noticed when the connection goes down, its not for both gateway routers, they go down at different times.

So I am looking for 2 options right - Dual WAN Aggregation or Dual WAN Load Balancing.

So question is, for my setup, am I able to do Dual WAN Aggregation? If not, how do I setup Dual WAN Load Balancing?

I've been stuck with this for a few days and I'm hoping I don't need another piece of hardware.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RAXE450 - Dual WAN Aggregation vs Load Balancing setup

I would first ensure the ISP line is working well. If something is wrong with the ISP line or at there hardware, problem could continue if you put the RAXE online. 

Is the ISP gateway the interface for there services or is there a separate modem or ONT before there router? If there router is separate, I would ask the ISP if the RAXE can be configured to replace there router system. As the ISP of there service support WAN LAG that some NG Routers support. In order to use that, the ISP modem/ONT has to support same on there hardware.

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. that gateway from verizon is a modem/router combo device. It causes a double nat. Not much info on it so I'm not sure if it has a passthrough mode. If it does, you can try that. If it doesn't either try putting the netgears IP address into its DMZ (if it has one) or put the netgear in access point mode. 

2. While the RAXE supports wan port aggregation, it doesn't support load balancing. What that means is the wan ports only accepts multiple wan sources if those sources are from 1 source. (some modems have multiple gigabit ports, allows them to get greater than gigabit speeds while only having gigabit ports). So having 2x ISP's isn't a benefit with the RAXE

Message 3 of 6
isaaccoo
Star

I considered the Peplink and Mushroom Networks bonding/SD-WANs, but almost had a heart attack after seeing the prices.

So I'm gonna bite the bullet and order the TP-Link ER605 and shove that in between the RAXE and the two modems, purely as a load balancer.

Does NETGEAR make anything similar to the TP-Link ER605? I'm pretty sur heaving two different ecosystem/platforms between hardware will be another pain. 

Message 4 of 6
isaaccoo
Star

I did have both the modems with IP Passthrough setup and bridge mode into the router. Overall, I think the dual port features are a bit useless for any of my scenarios. Thanks for trying to help out though.

Message 5 of 6
Razor512
Prodigy

When in that mode, you connect the router The ASK-NCQ1338FA offers an IP pass-through option that allows you to avoid a double NAT.

Since the Verizon router has 2 LAN ports, it will inform you of which LAN port to use to connect your router to.

In that setup, the Netgear router will have to be placed in its normal router mode (same as if you were using just a modem).

The Verizon 5G router does not use 2 LAN ports at the same time when in passthrough mode, and it is also not rated for service speeds over 1Gbps, thus it would have no need for LACP.

When in passthrough mode, the Verizon router will automatically disable its WiFi radio.

As for the RAXE450, it doesn't support dual WAN, instead it offers LACP or the use of a 2.5GbE port as the WAN port.

(Below only applies if you are trying to have multiple separate internet connections on a budget)

If you need to use multiple separate WAN connections without jumping to a full on business class router to avoid the business class, then you will be stuck with devices like the UISP EdgeRouter 6P as it will allow you to specify multiple WAN connections (e.g. cable internet + the Verizon 5G home internet), configure automatic failover, as well as the option of binding sessions to their initial WAN connection (useful if hosting a game server on a network with dual WAN + failover). Though with that solution, you will need a separate AP, as well as at least an unmanaged switch if you also use a NAS or other multiple other devices that will be saturating their gigabit LAN connection simultaneously. The reason for this is that the Ubiquiti Edgerouter products do not have a built in switch even though they have multiple Ethernet ports, and while you  can select a few ports to act as a switch, all of their traffic has to go through the CPU, thus total switching performance will be lower than a proper switch.
Such a setup will also require a separate AP, (either configuring other routers to behave like an AP or getting single function APs).

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7