× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAXE500 Beta FW v1.0.9.72 is available for Testing

ChristineT
Admin

RAXE500 Beta FW v1.0.9.72 is available for Testing

Hello RAXE500 Community,

We have a beta firmware available for testing for the RAXE500 that we hope will resolve some of the instability issues that have been reported over the last few months.

Please note: We are still working on a patch for a reported 2.4GHz connectivity issue with Nest cameras and hope to have that released as quickly as possible in the upcoming weeks.

Release notes:

• New
    • (new) supports dynamic QoS
    • (new) security enhancement - webGUI login password enhancement
    • (new) security enhancement – login blockout when consecutive password failed multiple times
    • (new) support DNS over https

• Fix
    • (fix) fixes some security vulnerability issues
    • (fix) add patches to improve system stability

FW:

We're looking forward to hearing feedback on this firmware and if all goes as expected we can publish it as an official release.

Best,

ChristineT

Message 1 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

I can confirm with v1.0.1.52 and v1.0.9.72 that my Intel AX210 6Ghz PCI adapter (v22.45) install using Windows 10x64 is NOT connecting to the RAXE500 when WPA3 is enabled. I can connect  the adapter to the RAXE500 if I disable WPA3 and set for OPEN security. 

Same Intel AX210 adapter works on a different NG router with WPA3 enabled. 

Message 2 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Adapter connected to NG non RAXE500 router using WPA3:

AX210ConnectedTo6Ghz.png

Message 3 of 30
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

Microsoft does not support WPA-SAE H2E feature on current win10 so you will need to ugprade your OS to win11 in order to support it (this is kind of Micrsoft's strategic to encourage people to upgrade to win11 to gain the win11 usage.)

If you still like to connect it in win10, you will need to use beta version (https://insider.windows.com/en-us/ ) with specific AX210 driver.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 4 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be interested to know then why does Intel release Windows 10 and 11 drivers for AX210 6Ghz adapters? 

I just downloaded v22.90 yesterday...

@Altsai wrote:

Microsoft does not support WPA-SAE H2E feature on current win10 so you will need to ugprade your OS to win11 in order to support it (this is kind of Micrsoft's strategic to encourage people to upgrade to win11 to gain the win11 usage.)

If you still like to connect it in win10, you will need to use beta version (https://insider.windows.com/en-us/ ) with specific AX210 driver.

Message 5 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Also read other information that MS is supporting WPA3 in Windows 10 if you update to the latest 21H2 feature update...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-21h2-is-released-here-are-the-new-feature...

Message 6 of 30
Michaelwave
Aspirant

I'm getting an "Invalid Uplink Bandwidth" error when trying to enable QOS. I'm also getting intermediate drops in connectivity (I can't even ping the router) every 10 mins or so with the latest non beta firmware. I've had nothing but issues with this router, and I'm always suprised when it's works normal.

Message 7 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you factory reset the router and setup from scratch along with powering OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute then back ON and complete the setup on the router? 

What browser are you using? 

Message 8 of 30
Michaelwave
Aspirant

I'm using Chrome. I'll try doing the factory reset. It's upsetting I have to wipe a router to get it to work properly.

Message 9 of 30
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

Do not see such issue. You may provide related debugging log for NTGR support team to check.

Message 10 of 30
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Would be interested to know then why does Intel release Windows 10 and 11 drivers for AX210 6Ghz adapters? 

I guess it's related to Microsoft. I know WIN10 latest build won't support H2E feature so if you insist to use WPA3-SAE H2E to connect to RAXE500 6GHZ radio, you will need to use either WIN10 beta build OS or WIN11 (only these versions support H2E feature)

If you use OWE to connect, I guess latest WIN10 would work.

Message 11 of 30
ABONE
Aspirant

Thanks for letting me know.  I will try out the new Firmware

Message 12 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

@Altsai wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I guess it's related to Microsoft. I know WIN10 latest build won't support H2E feature so if you insist to use WPA3-SAE H2E to connect to RAXE500 6GHZ radio, you will need to use either WIN10 beta build OS or WIN11 (only these versions support H2E feature)

If you use OWE to connect, I guess latest WIN10 would work.

What is OWE? 

I'll check the version I have however latest Win10x64 (retail that came pre-installed) 2H21 and build prior to that is working with WPA3 on my PC. Has since day 1 with the AX210 adapter I have installed and the NG Orbi router I'm using with WPA3 enabled. 

Message 13 of 30
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

OWE stands for "Opportunistic Wireless Encryption", aka as "Enhanced Open" defined by WiFi Alliance. 

Message 14 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok Thank for this info. 👍

Message 15 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 16 of 30
TWilson
Aspirant

Item 1
I still experience the same frequent client disconnects using the beta firmware that I experienced in prior firmware in the 5GHz band even with its Mode set to "Up to 2400 Mbps" and channel set to 44 (non-DFS channel).

This only occurred with my prior RAX200 when its Mode was set to "up to 4800 Mbps" due to Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS). When I changed the RAX200 Mode to "Up to 2400 Mbps" and selected a non DFS channel, the disconnects stopped occurring (I live near an airport so I assume DFS was sensing a radar and was switching channels resulting in client disconnections).

With the RAXE500, changing the 5HGZ band mode to "Up to 2400 Mbps" and selecting a non DFS channel hasn't resolved the client disconnects (like it did with my prior RAX200).

Not happy about this and am considering returning the RAXE500 and rolling back to the RAX200 because of this and item 2 below.

Item 2
The 6GHz band is working with my Windows 11 devices having the Intel AX210NGW adapter using WPA3 on 6GHz.

Range is horrible though. I get 3 bars when 15-20 feet away in line of sight.  Connection speeds are also frequently the same as or lower than what I get when connected to the 5Ghz band.

The 6GHz radio power output seems to be much lower than the 5GHz radio (I know there is greater attenuation across materials when using 6 GHz vs 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz - however I'm observing this with line of slight with only air between the router and device).

I had much higher hopes for 6Ghz band than this (The marketing for has been extremely over hyped).  I currently have the entire 6GHz band to myself in my neighborhood and its typical performance isn't any better than what I get on the congested 5GHz band (was expecting to see improved data transfer ratperformance between 6GHz AX clients and file/applications servers attached to local network).    

Item 3
The beta firmware included support for QOS. When I select the QOS setting page, I see options to enable WMM for 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and 5GHz-2.   By default, WMM is checked for 2.4GHz and 5GHz (5GHz-2 is not checked).  

Obviously, there shouldn't be any settings for 5GHz-2 and instead should be settings for the 6GHz band.  

I haven't tested if QOS works on 2.4 or 5 GHz bands. 

Capture.PNG

Message 17 of 30
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Thank you for all the feed back I forward this to our engineers.

DarrenM

Message 18 of 30
golways
Aspirant

Hi all,

I live in France and, till now, I was not able to detect and use the 6GHz band on my Samsung S21 ultra.

I installed the new firmware on my RAXE500 (bought in the USA) and unfortunately, it did not change anything for me.

Will a new firmware be necessay to "open" the 6GHz band in France ? If yes, do you know when this new firmware is available ?

Regards,

Franck

Message 19 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that your regiona may not support 6Ghz. 

Is the 6Ghz wireless setting not seen on the routers web page under Basic tab/Wireless Settings? 

We don't get information on if or when new FW or FW features are forth coming. 

@golways wrote:

Hi all,

I live in France and, till now, I was not able to detect and use the 6GHz band on my Samsung S21 ultra.

I installed the new firmware on my RAXE500 (bought in the USA) and unfortunately, it did not change anything for me.

Will a new firmware be necessay to "open" the 6GHz band in France ? If yes, do you know when this new firmware is available ?

Regards,

Franck

Message 20 of 30
golways
Aspirant

the 6Ghz wireless setting is seen on the routers web page under Basic tab/Wireless Settings and on. 

6Ghz band is now authorized in Europe and France and RAXE500-100EUS can now be preordered on Netgear french website (delivery on mid-january).

Message 21 of 30
BH-C
NETGEAR Expert

Hi golways, my understanding is Samsung phones do not enable WiFi 6E in Europe yet, you may need to wait until sometime next year.

Message 22 of 30
golways
Aspirant

Well, yes, you're probably right. Still some few weeks to wait 🙂

Message 23 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure you have devices that do support 6Ghz wifi signal to be able to use that freqency. 

I'd turn the 6Ghz radio OFF for now on the router until you get something that does support 6Ghz. 

@golways wrote:

Well, yes, you're probably right. Still some few weeks to wait 🙂

Message 24 of 30
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

@golways wrote:

Hi all,

>>>>>> S21 ultra does not support WiFi 6E. Only S21 Ultra 5G support wifi 6E. And France just opened 6GHZ band so would still need samsung to release new image to support 6E for S21 Ultra 5G.

Regards,

Franck

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7