× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAXE500 Constant Internet drops requiring reboots

newmanme2
Guide

RAXE500 Constant Internet drops requiring reboots

Hello Everyone,

I took a leap of faith and ordered the brand new RAXE500 AXE11000 because I am a long time loyal Netgear cusatomer.

For two days now I have to reboot the router at least once an hour to maintain internet conectivity. This is absolutely rediculous!

Your support page has been down for at least the past two days so I cannot get any help!!!

My unit has the latest firmware, I have disabled DHCP and have manuall added all my devices with MAC and Static IPs. It took 15 minutes for the Router to lose internet connection AGAIN!!!

I am a 20+ year IT professional, Network engineering and Network Administration. I am an associate Dean for the School of Technology and I teach high level networking courses. So, if I am experiencing these issues and cannot figure out what is going on, then you have doomed your normal customers. And, without an immediete fix you are going to lose an incredible amount of customers, including me.

So, since techsupport seems to be on vacation, YOU NEED TO STEP UP YOUR GAME ASAP!

I need help, I need it now, and if I do not get it today, you do not want to see the reviews I am going to give you on Amazon and every other posting I can find out there warning people to STAY AWAY!

Thanks

Matt

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 25
plemans
Guru

a couple things. 

1. we're not netgear. we're the community support forum where members of the public try to help out. threatening bad reviews/other things isn't going to improve your help on here. it just makes us less likely to help since we're doing this in our free time. Just something to keep in mind.

2. What firmware is on the RAXE500?

3. What modem/gateway is it connected to?

4. what symptoms are you getting? Your decription says you have to reboot it. But whats actually happening? Are devices staying connected to the router but saying "connected, no internet". Does the wifi stop broadcasting entirely, does wired devices and wireless stop working? what is actually happening. A description helps 

5. I'd keep trying to contact support as well. You might indeed have a bad device. It does happen and the 6E devices are as new as they come. Potentially a mod can help as they've been pretty responsive with the new 6E device. @Christian_R 

Message 2 of 25
newmanme2
Guide

Thank you for rersponding.

My apologies as I thought this was a part of the Netgear support team.

- Router - RAXE500 - AXE11000

- Firmware - V1.0.5.62_2.0.35

- ISP Modem - AT&T 5268AC

- The description of the problem: The internet drops every 15 minutes or so.

- WiFi continues to broadcast, just connected without internet notice

NOTE: I found an online article that said turning off the /Advanced Setup/"Traffic Meter". I had turned off the Traffic Meter and DHCP, and my connection solid on for over an hour. I have just turned DHCP back on and will be monitoring for a while to see if the problem is soley with a bug in the "Traffic Monitor"

Again, I apologize for lashing out here. I can't believe I purchased the most expensive new home router from Netgear and this is what I got, and most importantly Netgears support is not reachable. I am sure all of you are here to help and I promise to save my furry for the Netgear Support Team 🙂

Thanks

Matt

Message 3 of 25
plemans
Guru

That gateway from att is a modem/router combo device. 

Cascading router is a recipe for issues.

have you tried the RAXE in access point mode and disabling the wifi on the ATT device? 

That prevents the double nat. 

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 25
tonydi
Luminary

More questions....

Do you have AT&T Fiber?  That gateway is one of the fiber gateways although it's also old enough that it did service some DSL lines too.

Are you using the Pace's DMZ Plus mode to connect the RAXE500 to the gateway?

Did you disable the Wifi on the Pace, so just the RAXE500 is handling Wifi duties?

When the Wifi loses Internet connectivity, do you still have wired connectivity?

If you are on fiber, do you have an Internet-only account or do you have AT&T Uverse Phone or TV coming through the Pace?

Message 5 of 25
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello newmanme2, 

Welcome to the community! I'd like to assist with the issue(s) you maybe experiencing with your RAXE500. May you send me a private message with your email address and serial number. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 6 of 25
newmanme2
Guide

SOmetimes the model number comes up and sometimes it does not??

I have a RAXE500 AXE11000

You may be onto something with the ATT equipment. While I was setting up the EAXE500 I was plugging it directly ionto my ATT Router. The ethernet connection was not dropping because I waas able to maintain pings to four external IP addresses. But, web pages were not loading. This indicated a DNS problem, but determining where it was happening at is a bit fristrating and I do not have the time to start doing packet captures.

So a short while ago I moved the RAXE500 off of the ATT Router and onto my firewall. Everything seems to be working perfect now. I have IPv6 and the Meter turned off.

I will let this run for a day or two to see if the problems come back or not and then update things here.

Oh, I turned on the HTTPS for the web interface to the router and now I am having problems getting the router admin page up?  Any ideas?

Thanks

Matt

Message 7 of 25
newmanme2
Guide

How do I send a private message?

Message 8 of 25
tonydi
Luminary

Matt...

If you could answer the questions I posted I may be able to give you a way to completely eliminate the AT&T gateway from your connection and just use the RAXE500.  That almost always fixes problems like this.

Also, you indicated you have a firewall device.  Can you tell us more about that, what model, how it's connected to your network?

Message 9 of 25
newmanme2
Guide

Good morning

It does appear that the ATT modem was causing issues. Was it the whole problem, I do not know.

I now have the RAXE500 in its final location behind an enterprise class firewall. I still have IPv6 off, I have no need for IPv6 in my network. And the traffic meter is turned off.

As for trying the unit in AP mode, that would be a waste of money for a full blown router. If I cannot successfully get this router to work as a router, then I will send it back as a very unhappy Netgear customer.

Right now the RAXE500 is behaving. Lets see what the next 24 hours bring. I will keep updating things here so others can look for information that might help them also.

I will say this, Netgear is lucky I am a loyal and well versed IT engineer as regular uses are not going to have the technical experience to fix these issues.

For the Netgear team is they are monitoring:

If anyone from Netgear is monitoring these chats, PLEASE FIX THESE ISSUES AND GET NEW FIRMWARE OUT! Relasing a new piece of equipment with issues like this does not say anything good about "your" loyalty to your customers. Your support link is still down after 5 days.

Thanks

Matt

Message 10 of 25
newmanme2
Guide

Hello TonyDi,

"Are you using the Pace's DMZ Plus mode to connect the RAXE500 to the gateway?"

- I am not familiar with the Pace DMZ?

- I am not going to setup my router on a DMZ, I loose security. SO no, I have not tried the Pace DMZ.

If you are calling the ATT ROuter the Pace, it's WiFi is shutdown as I do not use it.

I only use ATT for internet and nothing else.

"When the Wifi loses Internet connectivity, do you still have wired connectivity?"

- When the internet connectivity is lost, it is the DNS that appears to be the issue as I can maintain pings to external sites and start new pings. I have manually set ATT's DNS servers IP addresses.  WHile I can see the ATT public DNS servers when I do an (ipconfig /all) I also still see the RAXE500's IP address listed as the first IP in the DNS list of three IP's. I do not see anywhere in the router configuration to stop using the router as a DNS server. That is very odd.

My internet comnnection is comming from a three or four yearold fiber line that ATT put in. Wrecked the whole front of my yard so I rmember it well. Was never used for DSL.

The fiber comes into a device in the garage and then an ethernet cable goes to my ATT Router. From my ATT router I have an ethernet connection to an enterprise firewall. The firewall segments the networks, LAN and Wireless ony allowing printing and a few other services to be allowed between the networks.

I know that is a high level overview of my network, but it is due to security reasons.

I will try to answer everones posts, and try to keep up the information here to help others.

Message 11 of 25
newmanme2
Guide

Hi Tonydi,

I just responded. Sorry we had electrical storms and a power outage yesterday so I was not online.

I do appreciate all your help and insight. When this router is working, I am very impressed with its speeds, so I am hoping we can help resolve this issue not only for me, but for other Netgear loyal customers. Right now, if you go to Amazon and read the customer ratings on this router, you would never buy it. The reviews are aweful. I was thinking that with my knowledge I could get this running and help others.

Thanks

Matt

Message 12 of 25
tonydi
Luminary

The Pace 5268ac gateway doesn't have what's normally called a "bridge" mode, where the gateway can essentially be turned into a plain modem that just passes everything through to your router.  Instead they have this stupid DMZ Plus mode.  It's not like putting the router in a traditional DMZ where you lose all of the security.  Newer AT&T gateways call it IP Passthrough.

The problem with all of this smoke and mirrors is that these gateways are junk (as you found out, you can't change the DNS server because AT&T doesn't want you to) and cause all sorts of issues. But other than putting the Netgear in AP mode (agreed, not ideal), you have to use DMZ Plus to connect the router to the Pace and have it work correctly.

EXCEPT.....

There's a way, called the Dumb Switch Bypass, where you connect a dumb gigabit switch ($20) to the network and do a few simple steps that allow you to disconnect the Pace and run with just the RAXE500.  At that point it's just the ONT (that device in your garage), then the Ethernet cable from the ONT to the dumb switch and then to the Netgear (or in your case, whatever firewall device you have).

That's how I have my RAXE500 set up and it's been incredibly stable because I got the weak link (the AT&T gateway) out of the picture. If you're interested in setting this up I'll point you to the instructions.

Message 13 of 25
newmanme2
Guide

Hi Tonydi,

TSo the DMZ plus is some sort of workaround they came up with, nice (in a sarcastic voice).

My Firewall is a Barracuda F18. I use F800's at work, and they are about the same except for throughput an number of users.

I had, until this morning a Netgear Nighthwk X6 running for years wirth no issues. But, I never hooked it directly to the ATT Modem either.

I have redone the configuration on the RAXE500 and replaced the old router with the new one. So far so good. 

I am interested in using a dumb switch to bypass the ATT router. Heck, I'd send it back to them if I do not need it.

Let me know

Thanks

Matt

Message 14 of 25
tonydi
Luminary

If you do the dumb switch bypass you still need the Pace for those times that AT&T takes down their line (or someone cuts the fiber while digging) or if you have a power outage like you just did and don't have a UPS on the networking equipment.

Here are the steps to do this with just the router, you'll need to figure out how to do it with your firewall....

1) Make note of the AT&T Gateway's MAC address and then go into your third party router and change the MAC address of the WAN port of that router to be the same as on the AT&T gateway.

2) With everything from a fully off state, connect just fiber and the power cable to the ONT and power it on. Let it go for ~2 min to make the fiber connection.

3) Power on the dumb switch and connect ONT's Ethernet port to one port of the dumb switch.

4) Connect the WAN port of the AT&T Gateway to another port on the dumb switch and power the Gateway on.

5) Wait 1-2 minutes for the AT&T Gateway to connect. Use the LEDs to determine when it's done.

6) You can now power down the AT&T Gateway and disconnect it from the dumb switch.

7) Connect your router's WAN port to the dumb switch and power the router on.

😎 Within a minute or two it should acquire the same IP, gateway and DNS as the gateway had.

Essentially what's happening is that the ONT needs authentication for your connection. When you hook the AT&T Gateway to it the authentication comes through and gets stored in the ONT. When you plug in your own router, because it has the same MAC address as the AT&T gateway, the ONT thinks your router is the AT&T Gateway

Some notes:

You will need to repeat these steps if the ONT or the dumb switch loses power, so many people employ a UPS for these devices. There is no problem if the router itself is power cycled, your connection will retain the authentication as long as the switch and ONT have stayed up. On rare occasions AT&T will do some sort of system maintenance or ONT firmware updates and power cycle the ONT, in which case you'll have to re-do the procedure.

You will not get IPV6 although for the majority of users, that's not really a problem and in fact, disabling that often makes for a faster, more stable connection. If it turns out that you do need IPV6 then there are more sophisticated ways to do it using more expensive equipment and requiring extensive networking knowledge.

Attached is a PDF that someone made to make it easier for non-techies to reconnect their Internet should things go down. 

Message 15 of 25
tonydi
Luminary

I should have noted that this is obviously not AT&T supported because they want you to use their gateway.  So should something happen to your line upstream of the switch, you'd have to put the Pace back in play so AT&T could see it and do whatever diagnostics they need.

Message 16 of 25
newmanme2
Guide

Tonydi,

You are basically using the dumb switch to spook the MAC addres and getting the security credentials for the ONT's.  Once the ONT has the credentials. 

When we setup our remote users, we send them our modem to use. The ISP's cannot say no because its the law that they cannot force you to use their modems. So I am wondering what is the best modem I can purchase to replace the Pace ? My reasoning for asking that question is this: When AT&T installed the fiber, their sales people began calling. I had a sales person promise 1GB up and 1GB down @ $79 for life. He said it multiple times before I agreed. Wait, yes a few months later I got a full bill from them as I knew I would. Now, being the IT engineer over our call center and running the VoIP and other call tracking systems, I k new they had they call recorded the call and had to keep it for at least three years. So I called them out and I know have 1GB up and 1GB down for life at $79. So, I do not want to do something that might create an issue with them and some clause somewhere lets them out of the agreement.

If I can hook a modem I purchase  directly to that ONT, then they will have its mac address registered on ATT's systems. You following me?

Great, let me know what you think

Thanks

Matt

Message 17 of 25
tonydi
Luminary

While you call it a modem, it's a modem and router, which AT&T decides should be called a gateway.  You can't buy one from another manufacturer, there aren't any.  I've spoken with Netgear about this and while they might like to make one, it would require AT&T's approval and that's not happening.  There are various technical as well as monetary reasons why AT&T forces their junk on you.  It doesn't need to be this way, other ISP's like Verizon allow the customer to just hook their own router to the fiber converter (ONT), but AT&T won't.  Thus the need to do this bypass.

There is no law against them doing this, contrary to what many "internet lawyers" claim.  The recent bill that was passed (“Television Viewer Protection Act of 2019”) does NOT prohibit AT&T from doing what they're doing. 

Just be glad that you're on a grandfathered account that doesn't have to pay $10/mo for the "priviledge" of using one of these dumpster fire gateways.

Message 18 of 25
newmanme2
Guide

Well, here we are yet again.

Putting the device behind my firewall where the X6 worked beautifully, did nothing to help the DNS issues and maintaining internet connectivity. It actually;lly got worse!

This morning I put the RAXE500 into AP mode. It has stayed solid for about two hours, but I am not holding my breath.

I contacted AT&T yesterday and was told that senior support would call me in 20 minutes to work with me to remove the Pace 5268 out of my system. Well, the 20 minutes past and a day later I am still waiting for a call. AT&T tech support (aka Dirrect TV support) is no where to be found.

I disagree about the laws, my company has over 50 remote offices, and not one of their ISP's have blocked us using our own modems. 

My concern here is once again big tech, and yes AT&T is big tech these days, dictating to us what we can and cannot do. Forcing their policies, beliefs, and wishes on us.  If we do not start fighting back, we might as well invite the Chinese to run our government. You cannot go to any site on the web that does not force cookies and allowing the theft of personal information. Sure, I can just not use their websites, but then all websites are doing it so do I just say goodbye to the web, or just allow freaks from Facebook, twitter, google, Microsoft and the like just steal from me? Maybe its about time to take back the money they earned stealing our personal information? Bezo's, Gates, Dorsey, Zuckerberg, and the like are all billionaires from stealing from all of us. Why are we allowing this?

I am ranting, but we need to find away to protect ourselves from these theifs!

Message 19 of 25
tonydi
Luminary

I'm going to buy you a vowel.....never believe anything that an A&T front line "support" person tells you.  They are poorly trained, poorly paid extremely limited in their knowledge and capabilities and their only goal is to meet the stringent metrics that AT&T sets up to grade their work.  Fail to hit the metrics and they're gone.  And the #1 metric is length of call.  They will say anything to get you off the phone, especially if it's what you want to hear, because if you eventually realize what they told you is wrong you'll call back and be someone else's problem.

Nobody at AT&T is going to tell you how to remove the Pace.  Zero. Zip. Nada.  Didn't you read what I said....they don't support that, they insist you have to use their gateway.  Not sure why you need them to tell you how anyway, since I gave you detailed steps of exactly how to do that.

Message 20 of 25
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Community, 

You may click on my name to view my profile and you should have the option to send me a private message.

Regards,

Christian 

Message 21 of 25
newmanme2
Guide

So here is my update:

I placed the RAXE500 AXE11000 into AP mode. The internet (DNS) has stayed connected without interruption for about 24 hours now.

If you have AT&T fiber for your internet connection you have two options:

1. Place the unit into AP mode

2. You can use the steps provided by Tonydi as I have verified these steps do work. But, power outages can cause issues if you do not purchase and use battery backup untis.

SInce the connection has stayed solid, the speeds of this router are very impressive. It is a shame that we have big tech companies that can dictatate what equipment we have to use and pay for regardless if it is needed.

I will stay on AT&T until we get a resolution. Sometimes pushing the right buttons at corporate can get attention.

The first button I am going to push where in a few minutes will be in my Amazon review of the RAXE500 where I will highlight that AT&T is sabatoging new WiFi routers and is refusining to work with customers.

It may be a fruitless attempt, but I am not one of those people that are willing to put my tail between my legs and just accept unjustified totalitarian rule. 

Thanks for everones help and advice here. It is appreciated and a welcomed change to working with good people to resolve issues.

Tjhanks

Matt

Message 22 of 25
tonydi
Luminary

You can use the steps provided by Tonydi as I have verified these steps do work. But, power outages can cause issues if you do not purchase and use battery backup untis.

So let me get this straight. You have a $600 router (well, now just a super expensive access point which you said you'd return rather than set it up like this) and a $900 firewall and obviously live in a part of the country that has electrical storms. And you don't have a UPS on any of this equipment?

When you tried the dumb switch method, the RAXE500 worked fine?

I will stay on AT&T until we get a resolution. Sometimes pushing the right buttons at corporate can get attention

Good luck with that, Don Quixote. I guess you think you're the only one who has brought this up to them?

The first button I am going to push where in a few minutes will be in my Amazon review of the RAXE500 where I will highlight that AT&T is sabatoging new WiFi routers and is refusining to work with customers.

So you're going to rant about an AT&T policy as a review of a Netgear product?

Message 23 of 25
newmanme2
Guide

Hi Tonydi,

Yes, I did say I would return it. But, in the beginning I thought it was the Netgear router having the issues. Had it been the Netgear router, I would have sent it back.

It is clearly not in my best interest to send back a perfectly good router, just to buy any other WiFi 6 router that is goung to have the same AT&T Pace modem issues. If you are correct, and I think you are, this issue will be incurred no matter which new WiFi6 router I purchase. And, if there are WiFi6 routers that will work with the Pace modem, then I would persue investigating AT&T's connections to those vendors.

I said back in the beginning that I am a loyal Netgear customer. I have to be one of the hardest customers out there to get loyalty from, because very few of them are loyal to us. When I find a vendor that has great equipment and great customer care, I support them. Right now, there a re a small few I am layoal to; Barracuda (16 years solid), Netgear (10 years and running), and Razer (5 years). They make solid products, have good support and stand behind what they build.

How many vendors are you loyal to? Would you be willing to see one of those vendors have a product go down the tubes like in the AT&T Pace 5268 case?

Yes, I live in an area of the country with electrical storms. Yes, I have APC equipment all over my home. I have four APC 1500 Smart UPS's, 5 APC 550s, and 5 more APC 650's. I also have several other 550's and 650's that need new batteries.  Our electrical issues often outlast the 10 to 15 minute battery backup times. If you feel I need more, you can buy me a pair of enterprise class APC units for about 3/4 of a mil, I take donations.

Did I rant about AT&T and their Pace modem causing the bad ratings on Amazon, Hell Yes. There are about 10 reviews and 8 of them are horrible and blaming Netgear. Would you want your product being decimated by reviews because of AT&T?

And as for keeping the fight alive with AT&T needing to resolve the issue, again HELL Yes. Let me give you a little background. Ever heard of ADT Security systems? We were overcharged for services we did not have, poor customer service, and slow to no response from the company. Like with AT&T we got no where for a while. Then, my wife and I did our research and found the right executive to reach out to. They refunded three years of service. Persistance can pay off. 

If you believe in something, stick with it. There is always more to be gained by trying, then there is sitting from around complaining while doing nothing. 

I would prefere to not go back and forth with you anymore on this topic. I will update this post as I have more to add.

Message 24 of 25
newmanme2
Guide

Productive post:

The RAXE500 AXE11000 - has held a solid internet connection since being put in AP mode last week.

To further prove this is an AT&T modem issue, I will be moving the RAXE500 AXE11000 behind a Comcast Fiber connection this upcomming weekend. I will let the results speak for themself when I post them here. 

If you purchased your RAXE500 AXE11000 on Amazon, update your reviews to reflect if you do or do not have AT&T fiber and the Pace 5268 modem,  and are having issues.  While some on here may disagree with that, I ask all of you this; Do you ever read reviews before making a big purchase from Amazon? I do, I always go straight to the lowest ratings to see what they have to say. So yes, people are reading those reviews. Ding Netgear if they are to blame, but please do ding companies like AT&T when they are deliberately causing the issues. The PAce 5268 modem is 100% not needed and being forced on you if you have a fiber connection.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7