× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAXE500 WiFi 6E SSID

sudo-visudo
Aspirant

RAXE500 WiFi 6E SSID

Does Smart Connect include the 6E (6 Ghz) network if you use the same SSID for all networks? In other words, if you have Smart Connect enabled and are using a 6E compatible device, will it switch your device automatically from 2.4 to 5 to 6 Ghz according to what the router believes is the best connection?

If Smart Connect does not include the 6E network, then is it advisable to use a different SSID than the standard Wifi 6 network?

I've looked everywhere for an answer to this question and haven't found one.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: RAXE500 WiFi 6E SSID

No. smart connect doesn't currently incorporate the 6ghz signal. 

I've got named separate so I can select it since the signal is much shorter range than the 5ghz. That way I can choose when to connect to the 6g signal. 

Message 2 of 5
PerryAgent
Initiate

For my environment, iPhone 15 Pro Max case.
With smart connect on and setting 6GHz SSID same with them (This is same with Apple official instructions.), then 6E worked on my iPhone.
Just for sure enabling security WPA2+WPA3 for 2.4/5Ghz.
I hope this helps someone.
Message 3 of 5
sudo-visudo
Aspirant

You're saying that on your router WiFi6 and Wifi6E have the same SSID? If so I thought you couldn't do that.

On mine they have 2 separate SSID's. My Pixel 7 Pro has both programmed into it's database and usually picks the one with the best signal. Almost always it's Wifi6 for reasons we all know. When it does auto-select 6E I honestly don't any speed improvements.

Message 4 of 5
PerryAgent
Initiate

Yes, I set same SSID.
iOS says automatically select 6E.
But I think this chooses 6E mainly.

My post just same SSID and automatic selection was available on iOS. I couldn’t know about optimal network selection for speed. Sorry.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7