× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAXE500 cannot get speeds over 1G even though I have 1.2G Internet

martyr444
Apprentice

The 2.5G Port on the RAXE500 has been problematic since day one. It always disconnects. We woke up this morning with it disconnected again. The 1G Port never has these issues, so I think it's the hardware itself that is defective. I may do quick change back to the 2.5G for a test, but know that I cannot keep it on the 2.5G. Between that and the WPA3 issue it looks to be a no go. Thanks for your input.

Message 26 of 29
Razor512
Prodigy

For the 2.5GbE port, if using a longer Cat 5e cable, then in your Ethernet adapter settings in device manager, and disable options such as "Green Ethernet", energy efficient Ethernet, and other similar functions.

green-Ethernet.jpg

or if you have any reliability issues, then disable those options, which will improve SNR on the Ethernet cable.

Most of those green functions attempt to save extremely tiny amounts of power by using timings to estimate the length of the Ethernet cable, and then reducing the output to lower levels to save power. The issue is that if any aspect of the cable is not up to standard for 2.5 GbE, or if it is a cable that advertises a spec but lacks proper shielding, will end up with a bad SNR which can cause reliability issues.

Message 27 of 29
martyr444
Apprentice

All of my Cables are Cat 7 and 6ft or less. I always set my settings to max power and disable all power save modes. That 2.5G Port is just defective.

Message 28 of 29
Razor512
Prodigy

The standard power saving mode in terms of windows power management for the adapter is different from functions such as EEE, Green Ethernet and other 802.3az type functionality. Basically when below a certain length, (usually 50 meters), they go into their short reach mode and start cutting back on the power used to send frames. Sadly many switches and newer routers also support these functions and in turn will use it if enabled.

PS when terminating Cat7, make sure the braided outer shielding has some length left in tact for the grounding, and make sure the untwisted segment of the cable from the termination process is kept as short as possible, this is especially important if any green functions are on, since it bases everything on estimated length and simply assumes a near perfect conductor.

Also with solid core copper wire, if frequently moving them around, they will start to fail and cause many frame issues as compared to a cable with more flexible stranded copper.

Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7