× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rax120 Reset

Mjohnson4580
Tutor

Rax120 Reset

I have a Rax 120 that is running .118 firmware. Last night it just rebooted and reset itself all by itself. Has this happened to anyone else running this firmware?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 55
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Do you mean it reset ie. you lost all internet settings or do you mean it just rebooted and failed to connect to the internet.

ive not had this and my friend has not experienced this both using 118 which we did a rest afterwards.

Did you reset after installing 118?

if it continues to happen I would contact Netgear.

Message 2 of 55
Topology
Virtuoso

Mjohnson4580, the router reboot/reset may have been caused by an electrical power fluctuation. You may wish to consider using an uninterruptible power supply (e.g., see here) to protect against that possibility in the future.

Message 3 of 55
Mjohnson4580
Tutor

Yeah it completely reset to factory defaults. No I did not reset after updating.
Message 4 of 55
Mjohnson4580
Tutor

I have it on in uninterrupted power supply that's why it's weird.
Message 5 of 55
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

I would reset using the rear pin method and setup from new. Don't use a saved config when setting it up.

make notes beforehand of any WiFi names and passwords so when you set it up it's the same as before so your devices all connect.

if it happens again or becomes frequent I would be thinking it's a possible hardware issue but try a reset first. 

Message 6 of 55
BKSD
Tutor

This same thing just happened to my AX12 RAX120.  Everything seemed to be working and then all of a sudden our internet went out.  I restarted our modem/router and then when the router came back up all settings were erased, even our SSID for our WiFi and admin login. 

Over the past week or two our router has been acting strange, but I thought it was because I recently started using the Netgear EX7500-100NAS extender.  But now I'm not sure the EX7500 extender is the issue.  I'm going to install the most recent firmware release  V1.0.1.118 to see if that improves the issues.  It would have been nice if Netgear would have sent out a notification with the most recent firmware release.  When you try to detect any new firmware updates through the admin portal this firmware update doesn't even show up.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061718/RAX120-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-118-Hot-Fix

Message 7 of 55
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

It's a hot fix hence why it fails to pickup on an update check. It just pays to keep an eye on the page say once a week to see what's new if anything.

i would reset once you have installed and setup as new. 

Message 8 of 55
rygonza146
Aspirant

Same here, 3 days ago everything connected at 5ghz lost internet connectivity but remained connected to the wireless network. I looked on netgears site for any updates and downloaded and applied the patch 1.0.1.118 and the issue happened again the next day and yesterday. I confirmed that the 2.4 ghz devices were still working both times and they were. I rebooted through the nighthawk app on IOS today and when the router came up it had cleared all of my previous configuration reverted to the default settings. I started from scratch setting up my router again, I will update if my issue is resolved or not. 

Message 9 of 55
FelizComidas
Guide

I had the same exact issue, been scouring the internet for people with similar issues. I couldn't connect to wifi, opened up nighthawk app and was prompted to do a setup. Was continually having issue of rebooting, but now every time I reboot, it gets factory reset - if I turn off then on, it prompts to setup again (and resets to default name of NETGEARXX). With working remote, I've had to switch back to my old airport extreme for stability currently and trying to mess with the RAX120 when I have time. About to give up on it though, I'm not sure what to do.

Ever since I got the RAX120 in October, the internet speed would be fine for about a day (getting the full 1 gig down), and then it would drop to 20 mbps, and if I restarted, would go back up to gig. That was already completely annoying to begin with (having smarthub, etc hooked up to something you have to reboot once a day), but these new issues are making me re-think the nighthawk router alltogether, it's currently basically useless since every restart results in a factory reset.

Message 10 of 55
welchyboy
Star

I am in the same boat as you guys...It did help me to reboot from the web vs the app...it wasnt factory resetting after a reboot from the web. However it still loses wifi connection every few hours. A reboot fixes it but doesn't last long. I upgraded to 118 and still no luck. I have no special settings...its all pretty much default. Anyone have luck in fixing this?
Message 11 of 55
FelizComidas
Guide

@welchyboy wrote:
I am in the same boat as you guys...It did help me to reboot from the web vs the app...it wasnt factory resetting after a reboot from the web. However it still loses wifi connection every few hours. A reboot fixes it but doesn't last long. I upgraded to 118 and still no luck. I have no special settings...its all pretty much default. Anyone have luck in fixing this?

I updated to the hot fix maybe 4 hours ago, internet and wifi has been up since, but not sure if it will factory resent again if it's rebooted...really hoping not. Will update either way if it continues to work or run into more issues.

Has anyone else had the issue with internet speeds drastically dropping after a day or so, and then jumping back up once the router is rebooted? (not a modem problem).

Message 12 of 55
Mjohnson4580
Tutor

118 Is the firmware I was on when it happened to me.

Message 13 of 55
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Did you reset the router and if so how? 

Message 14 of 55
Mjohnson4580
Tutor

When I first updated to the hotfix I did not reset it. Then the one night it just randomly reset. Every time I would try to log in i would getthe welcome set up screen. Then I reset it thru the reset button and set it up.

Message 15 of 55
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Did you load a saved config?

if not then try reinstalling the hot fix over the top and reset again.

Message 16 of 55
PigletRider
Apprentice

@Newfiedrool wrote:

Did you load a saved config?

if not then try reinstalling the hot fix over the top and reset again.

So you're saying installing 118 and then doing the factory reset afterwards resolves the connectivity and speed issues?

Message 17 of 55
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

No I'm saying to the post I question to reinstall 118 over the top again then rest the router and set up as new. I've 2 RAX120 at 2 different properties and they are as stable as can be. I do however after an update rest my router and setup from fresh and I turn auto update off.

Message 18 of 55
FelizComidas
Guide

I’ll try pin hole reset later. I’m not having any connectivity issues in the last 24 hours, but the speed dropped from 800 mbps+ down to 20 after about 12 hours, rebooted from web and it went back up. So I have stable connections now (the 118 update seemed to fix that) but I still have the speed drop issue after 12+ hours (which is same situation I was living with the last 6 months, prior to the spontaneous factory reset).
Message 19 of 55
BKSD
Tutor

I wanted to give an update. I installed the 118 hotfix firmware and restarted my router 3 days ago. My router hasn't restarted or dropped WiFi since I updated the firmware to the 118 hotfix. Before my router was dropping WiFi once a day and I would have to restart the router to get WiFi back up. Since the firmware update this hasn't happened for me.

I have noticed that some replies in this thread recommend doing a factory reset after you update the firmware to 118. Wouldn't that remove the update the hotfix update? Its not necessary to do a factory reset after you install the new firmware.
Message 20 of 55
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

How does a reset remove firmware updates? You are simply resetting the router to clear it of low level stuff. 
Resetting does not remove firmware, if it did your router would be dead in the water. 

Message 21 of 55
BKSD
Tutor

An earlier reply suggested doing a factory reset after you updated the firmware to 118. I was stating that doing a factory reset after you update the firmware would remove the firmware update. But doing a "restart" of the router after the firmware update would be fine.
Message 22 of 55
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

to help understanding a why a reset helps I'll post this link again for you to have a read over .

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

resetting a router does not remove a firmware update. Firmware could include security updates and drivers which replace what's on your router. They overwrite the code and a reset can not remove what's been updated.

Message 23 of 55
BKSD
Tutor

I'm not 100% sure this applies to my situation. My router did a factory reset on its own and that is why I searched this forum to see if there was a firmware update and I found the 118 hotfix. I updated the firmware and did a restart and haven't had any issues since.

From my experience a factory reset puts your device back into the state that it was when it left the factory (original firmware that was installed). So if your telling me that a factory reset doesn't remove any firmware updates that you installed, that is new to me. Also, note this particular 118 hotfix doesn't specify doing a factory reset after installation, which is what I found on other threads with other firmware updates for other Netgear Routers.
Message 24 of 55
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

No, a reset does not put it back to how it left the factory. That would require a firmware held in memory to overwrite any firmware on the router. 

not everyone resets, many do struggle with routers and like yourself pop on to forums for help. It's a bit of a learning curve, we all had to start somewhere so don't worry. 
routers and firmware has come a long way and with AX we are as my good friend puts it are on bleeding edge technology. 

Message 25 of 55
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 54 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7