× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rax120 Reset

BKSD
Tutor

Re: Rax120 Reset

To me it would make more sense to do a factory reset before installing the new firmware. That way all of your settings are deleted and once you have the updated firmware, then you add back your settings.
Message 26 of 55
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

You could do it that way but many of us would have reset after the previous update.
sometimes the update can get corrupted so if problems appear even after a reset the next course of action is to reinstall over the top and reset again. 
personally I turn off auto update so I manually check for updates and visit the support page. That way you know when it's updated which helps avoiding sudden issues that arise from updates.

it also pays never to load a saved config as that can introduce issues again. 

Message 27 of 55
SubLogic
Aspirant

I updated to 118 yesterday and it worked for about 8 hours, today the router completely reset itself to factory defaults and I had to set it back up again. Even the hardwired LAN ports lost internet.

I've had this router a little over a year and it's been junk. I have to reboot it just about everyday. I have new hope with every firmware update that they will have the issue resolved but it keeps getting worse. 

Paid $400 for this router and it is great when its working which is about 75% of the time. Router has been very unstable requiring reboots and resets quite often. Unit usually fails overnight so I wake up to no internet. 

I think its time for me to shop for a new router.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 28 of 55
Mjohnson4580
Tutor

118 defintly has something wrong with it. Im on 114 right now and sticking with that. Netgear has a hard time with firmware. My year and a half long trail with netgear i believe is coming to an end.

Message 29 of 55
SubLogic
Aspirant

Totally agree this is my first and probably last Netgear router. Looking at Linksys MX10 as a replacement. 

Message 30 of 55
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

@SubLogic wrote:

Totally agree this is my first and probably last Netgear router. Looking at Linksys MX10 as a replacement. 

Ive seen for the last year you have not posted so I take it it's been working well. Does yours have wall mounts?

Message 31 of 55
SubLogic
Aspirant

It hasn’t been working well I’m just getting good and turning off and back on every time it drops connections.

Reboot restores connection for a day or if I’m really lucky it might go up to 5 days without a problem.

So I’ve just learned to live with a quick reboot every couple of days.

It’s not wall mounted but centrally located in the home in an open area.
Message 32 of 55
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Does yours have wall mounts, should be underneath?

Message 33 of 55
FelizComidas
Guide

@SubLogic wrote:

I updated to 118 yesterday and it worked for about 8 hours, today the router completely reset itself to factory defaults and I had to set it back up again. Even the hardwired LAN ports lost internet.

I've had this router a little over a year and it's been junk. I have to reboot it just about everyday. I have new hope with every firmware update that they will have the issue resolved but it keeps getting worse. 

Paid $400 for this router and it is great when its working which is about 75% of the time. Router has been very unstable requiring reboots and resets quite often. Unit usually fails overnight so I wake up to no internet. 

I think its time for me to shop for a new router.

This is the exact same experiece I've had. I now have updated to 118 (and Google DNS), and just did the pin hole reset. I haven't had connectivity problems since 118 update, but it still does the fall in speed from 800+ to 20 after 12-24 hours of uptime (which it has always done). If this doesn't solve it, not really sure what else to do, as I've read about others with this issue that hasn't been solved. 

Message 34 of 55
Topology
Virtuoso

Concerning the process of performing a factory reset for the router, the following article (shared by Newfiedrool in another thread) is very informative: NVRAM and Factory Default Reset.   In particular, the article explains why the reset should be done after the new firmware is installed – and, why router settings should not be restored from a backup configuration file.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 35 of 55
FelizComidas
Guide

@Topology wrote:

Concerning the process of performing a factory reset for the router, the following article (shared by Newfiedrool in another thread) is very informative: NVRAM and Factory Default Reset.   In particular, the article explains why the reset should be done after the new firmware is installed – and, why router settings should not be restored from a backup configuration file.

I did the pin hole reset after I updated to 118, and then set up as new (did not load from a config file - haven't done a backup config file ever along any of the troubleshooting, always set up as new whenever it was reset).

Will see if makes any difference, should know in net 12 to 24 hours..

Message 36 of 55
LeeH
Prodigy

It sounds like your router is rebooting not resetting.  This is probably a power problem.  Either your AC is dropping, or the power supply is failing.  Try using a different power strip/surge suppressor.  I have used very many different ones in the past 50 years and prefer Tripp Lite especially their Isobar line.  You can actually hear and see a small difference when using them on audio and video equipment.  The Isobar filters out the line noise.  If that doesn't work try a new power supply.

I have tried all the newest firmware including the betas.  I am now using FW 108 because it is the most stable and provides the best performance.

Message 37 of 55
FelizComidas
Guide

@LeeH wrote:

It sounds like your router is rebooting not resetting.  This is probably a power problem.  Either your AC is dropping, or the power supply is failing.  Try using a different power strip/surge suppressor.  I have used very many different ones in the past 50 years and prefer Tripp Lite especially their Isobar line.  You can actually hear and see a small difference when using them on audio and video equipment.  The Isobar filters out the line noise.  If that doesn't work try a new power supply.

I have tried all the newest firmware including the betas.  I am now using FW 108 because it is the most stable and provides the best performance.

If this was directed at me, apologies if my wording wasn't correct - the speed drops occur after 12-24 hours, and then if i reboot it from the app or web, the speeds go back up to normal. Not having any issues with being able to connect now (that was only when it updated to 114, and has gone away now on 118, but the speed drop problem remains). 

I don't think it's a power supply problem, it's plugged into Uninterruptible Power Supply. 

Is there a way to look up firmware history of my device? It's always had the speed drop issue, so if has never been on 108 I could try that, but since I've always had the speed issue since I got it in October, not sure if rolling back to a prior FW it's been on before and still exhibited the issue would help any. Open to any further suggestions to try though (including putting an older firmware on). 

Message 38 of 55
Barvel-A
Guide

Ok, so I had the X6S AC3000 and it started doing the same thing. So I got the AX120 because it was so well ranked. I did all the same things you guys did. My router reset in the middle of an on-line interview. I’m still proud it’s not in the middle of the street out front. This is so not good. I still have until May on the support thing. I did notice it was a little warm in the room and the fan was NOT on. I am currently running 118 and eyeing my olde Apple router. It wasn’t fast but it stayed up.
I know there are all kinds of crazy stuff right now this is Not helpfully.

Looking for a long term fix before I just go back to Apple Extreme and a device that was over priced goes in the trash.
Message 39 of 55
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Nighthawk AX Community, 

If you haven't done so already, may you try reverting to the previous firmware version (1.0.1.114) and let me know if there are any improvements. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 40 of 55
FelizComidas
Guide

@Barvel-A wrote:
Ok, so I had the X6S AC3000 and it started doing the same thing. So I got the AX120 because it was so well ranked. I did all the same things you guys did. My router reset in the middle of an on-line interview. I’m still proud it’s not in the middle of the street out front. This is so not good. I still have until May on the support thing. I did notice it was a little warm in the room and the fan was NOT on. I am currently running 118 and eyeing my olde Apple router. It wasn’t fast but it stayed up.
I know there are all kinds of crazy stuff right now this is Not helpfully.

Looking for a long term fix before I just go back to Apple Extreme and a device that was over priced goes in the trash.

I am in the same situation - I came from an Airport Extreme, that I actually reverted to when the RAX120 reset and lose all the settings at 114. It wasn't as fast as the netgear when it works, but at least it never kept reseting to default settings / losing settings, and it kept its consistent speed (vs swings from 800 to 20, requiring a reset every day). At this point it's seeming like a $400 sunk cost and I just want to find a fast, reliable router. May try the unifi dream machine.

Message 41 of 55
FelizComidas
Guide

@Christian_R wrote:

If you haven't done so already, may you try reverting to the previous firmware version (1.0.1.114) and let me know if there are any improvements. 

Thanks,

Christian 

I have had my same speed slowdown issue (see previous replies) on every firmware / since the day I bought it in October. Really at my wits end having to reset the router every day. The CM1200 modem has been rock solid since I purchase at same time, unfortunately router ruins the experience.

Message 42 of 55
Barvel-A
Guide

I am so pissed at Netgear.
Once Upon a Time.  I would swear by them. 
NOW F&#*.  So I'm gonna see what happens now.
I have gone back to my Airport Express and runnin the 120 as a wireless extender.
Damn Expensive one.

Message 43 of 55
Barvel-A
Guide

@Christian_R wrote:

Thanks,

Christian 

@Christian_R ,

I have downgraded to 114.  Unfortunatly I have to wait to put it back as the router until everyone is asleep.

You do know the timeing is Poor (To say the least for this.)

Why do we get firmware that is not ready for prime time?
I still have my X6S that this replaced with downgraded firmware.

I was planning to use it as the extender for the AX wit 3 kids and the Lady here all trying to stream. work or School.

I will wait until the house is asleep to re-ingage the X6 and manually enter all of my settings again (Not happy about that either.)

Is there anything else I should do before the change?

Message 44 of 55
Ultracherry
Aspirant

I have had the same thing happen to both of my RAX 120s.

They both reset to defualt settings.  Two times within about 2weeks. within the last month.  I do not have them enabled to auto update firmwares even though i was notifed of a new one but when i had time to check the routers both said nothing new. Since the resets on both of them the night hawk app reports them both as disconnected.(Remotely) The only one showing is my older R9000. The RAX 120s show online along with my R9000 only when i am connected to the 120 But if connected to R9000 the 120s show disconnected.  Anyways the 2 resets and they both feel pretty wack right now. They are both on battery backups so nothing went down, no storms or anything. 

These are in a work envirnoment for small offices. So i am just swapping these out and going for a  Ubiquiti setup as i need site to site vpn anyway. 

Message 45 of 55
FelizComidas
Guide

Anyone have any suggestions for any other wi-fi 6 routers that supports roughly the same feature set as the RAX120? Looked at Unifi Dream Machine and Amplify Alien, but neither has USB drive support. Open to suggestions from anyone as I just want somehting that stays up with good throughput or the gig internet I am paying for, and not slowing down to 20 mbps after 12-24 up time.

I am no longer having reset issues, just the internet slowdown issue I have always had.

Message 46 of 55
Barvel-A
Guide

Well it was put back into commission and needless to say. I went into work (not advised) to get solid internet connection.
I came home to complaints about lag and can’t connect.
I rebooted and the all rolled their eyes.
This morning ( very early ) I Rand a few tests these are things I saw.
How can you be offline and still accessible.
This is amazingly disappointing.
Message 47 of 55
Barvel-A
Guide

Then I ran a speed test.
@Christian_R
I want to believe in these products but I am truly loosing faith.
I just rebooted now at 5:16am PST.

This can’t go on like this.
Message 48 of 55
Barvel-A
Guide

Ok so after that reboot.
Hours ago I went down to see if my brood were satisfied.

That is NOT! A good look.

I think it’s official.

Netgear I no longer a high quality product provider.

Please excuse me as I go searching for anything I can get to replace my modem and this very expensive e-waste.
Message 49 of 55
ruritz
Initiate

I am in the same boat. 
The router has done a factory reset twice in 3 weeks. I just downgraded the firmware to V1.0.1.114. I will update this in a week or two to let you know if it fixed the issue. 

Message 50 of 55
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 54 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7