× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rax120

thehypnootoad
Luminary

Rax120

What firmware for rax120 is stable please.
Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

For the vast majority, its the latest firmware. there's always a few that have issues with specific firmwares but the majority do fine on the current versions. 

You can always make a backup and install the latest version. If it doesn't work well for you, downgrade the firmware, factory reset, and then install the backup. 

Message 2 of 13
thehypnootoad
Luminary

Finding .16 issues with connection dropping and dchp connections. .136 seems better but traffic monitor won't work which recent fixes also can't connect my smart life wifi bulbs and smart plugs devices with this router.
Message 3 of 13
inspectorgadjet
Apprentice

I’ve gone back to the last version before they added Armor 1.0.1.118.
I actually stupidly tried enabling armor and the router constantly crashes. Any firmware version with armor causes the router to crash for me, even if I factory reset and don’t enable armor.
On 1.0.118 the router hasn’t crashed so far. It doesn’t entirely clear up all the issues but at least I’m not rebooting the router one or more times per day now.
This router has really put me off Netgear completely and after years of buying some of their most expensive routers I am just waiting for the first WiFi 6e routers to start coming out and then it will be goodbye Netgear. I usually give my routers to friends when I upgrade but I wouldn’t wish this router on my enemies.
Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

I'd avoid 6e for now. Its fairly pointless as not many devices support it and its range is terrible. Its currently only approved for LPI (low power/indoor) mode so its range isn't much. Supposedly its going to be changed this fall but thats all about the FCC

Message 5 of 13
Topology
Virtuoso

@plemans, I am curious about the possibility of the FCC approving higher power levels for indoor WiFi 6e in 2021, but have been unsuccessful in finding articles that discuss that topic. Can you please provide links? Thank you.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 6 of 13
thehypnootoad
Luminary

Im on 1.0.2.136 haven't bother enabling Netgear armor due to causing alot of issues .1.0.2.16 is also very unstable on connectivity. I have had to reserve all my smart plugs ip and blink security cams as they won't properly connect. Tried allsorts to fix issues and let netgear team know but seems to get ignored.
Message 7 of 13
plemans
Guru

@Topology i don't have any articles. Its been from discussions on beta tests

Message 8 of 13
inspectorgadjet
Apprentice

I was looking at alternative routers that are just WiFi 6, and I decided if I was going to spend a few hundred pounds on a router again I would want one with the new technology because I like to play with it. I do in fact have a WiFi 6E device already so it will be something to tinker with.

Message 9 of 13
inspectorgadjet
Apprentice

I was just thinking about my setup again because I don't seem to have all the issues you're getting with smart home. I don't actually use the RAX120 for DHCP any more. Over all the months of this router driving me insane, one of the things I tried was setting up  an alternative DHCP server. I used a Mikrotik cloud hosted router running on a virtual machine. It didn't cost anything because you can run it for free on Oracle virtual box and they offer a free license for up to 1mbps throughput (seems to be fine for DHCP and DNS). I've kept it because I can divert DNS for certain apps/devices to my smart dns provider.

If you've got an option to try an alternative DHCP server maybe that can help with the issues?

Message 10 of 13
plemans
Guru

@inspectorgadjet wrote:

If you've got an option to try an alternative DHCP server maybe that can help with the issues?

Ever tried a pi-hole for ad blocking and dhcp services? 

I loved it. My wife hated it because it blocked all the stupid facebook/instagram/etc posts that are spam. 

Message 11 of 13
inspectorgadjet
Apprentice

@plemans wrote:

@inspectorgadjet wrote:

Ever tried a pi-hole for ad blocking and dhcp services? 

I loved it. My wife hated it because it blocked all the stupid facebook/instagram/etc posts that are spam. 

Not yet...it's on my radar to play with at some point though.

I notice in your signature you've got an RAXE500. Does that mean you're doing beta testing? How would you say it compares in terms of performance to the RAX120? Have you noticed any of the crashing and issues that are reported all over the place here? As I said before, I've been feeling like it's time to move on from Netgear because the RAX120 is driving me nuts, but there is a small (maybe stupid) part of me that is considering trying the RAXE500 when it's available because I've never had problems with Netgear like I've had with the RAX120.

Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

Its currently available. 

Nighthawk Router | WiFi 6E Router - RAXE500 | Netgear

I wouldn't invest in any of the 6E routers at this time. Netgear/asus/etc. 

Their 6e broadcast distance is so short that unless you're within a room of it, its half pointless. 

Yes it doesn't have any interference as nothings broadcasting on the network but its range is just a bit sad. 

Its been stable for me but I don't have issues with my RAX200 that others had issues with. 

I don't have the rax120 to compare to. 

If it was me? I'd keep working on the rax120 (or resell it to recoup the investment) and hold off on upgrading to 6E right now. I think it'll get better but until it does, a triband is going to be more usable. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7