× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rax200 gaming help

Cabledogs420
Guide

Rax200 gaming help

So I recently bought a rax200 to hook up four gaming consoles. I have fiber to the house from my isp. I have also gotten a static ip which got rid of double nat type. Consoles lan in. And have reserved address. I have my nat type set to open and upnp enabled. It does grab work as I see it grabbing ports however the ports needed by both systems seems to be 3074 which for some reason only goes to one system. No matter what I have tried I keep getting moderate to strict on a few of them. If I port fwd or dmz that consoles in fine. I’m confused on how to proceed every YouTube video none seem to explain multiple console hook ups. Can have all four running and someone gonna get kicked eventually.
Message 1 of 29
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Rax200 gaming help

Hello Cabledogs420,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 29
Cabledogs420
Guide

As much as would love to since you only offer 90 days I’m out of warranty as I bought this over the summer. Unfortunately net gear don’t like there products or trust them enough to give out more then that. Which is why this will probably be my last netgear product. I have had four generations of netgear since nighthawk released and by far my biggest disappointment. Sad thing is my old routers did a better job then these so called gaming routers. If by now netgear don’t realize my houses have multiple systems and a way to get nat type open on all of them. Then they really haven’t been watching the landscape.
Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 3 of 29
axtriom
Aspirant

I am going through the same thing and youd think their top of the line model would be able to offer such simple requests. I can only get one console at a time to have OPEN NAT every other one will be moderate. I put nat filtering to open, Enabled UPNP same issues. I port forward but obviously only one device at a time can use the ports so thats no help. I really am going to give up on their products and just pay my ISP $5/month for their router. A buddy of mine has spectrum and three consoles all Open NAT and he didnt have to configure anything. Netgear support is trash.

Message 4 of 29
Cabledogs420
Guide

It seems the upnp is broke or some kinda of software issue. My problem is my provider uses same company for there routers. I just find it funny in this day and age a company can’t provide support for there products. If this was say cyberpunk gaming community be up in arms. Just sucks as when you look up reviews most seem bias in a good light but those youtubers are full of crap. So tired gaming with the kid mic cuts or echoes just so tired of paying good money for bad results.
Message 5 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@axtriom wrote:

I put nat filtering to open, Enabled UPNP same issues. I port forward but obviously only one device at a time can use the ports so thats no help. 

No matter how hard you try - with one public IP address, one (WAN, Internet side) port can ony be forwarded to one LAN IP address. no matter which router you are using.

One of the ubiquitous ones is port 3075/UDP (Int. port) and different LAN IPs. What happens if using UPnP is that the second, third, fourth, .... console will see 3075/UDP is already occupied. The game will instead capture a different port on the WAN/Internet side (Ext. Port), and let the gaming server or game host in the cloud know about it.

Leaving the potential double NAT case alone (compare the WAN/Internet port assigned IP address with the "google what is my IP address"; ensure there is no ther NAT router; or the ISP does not do any CGN [Carrier Grade NAT]; or worse the low cost internet provider does even assign private IP addresses): remove any static pot forwarding on this port or the ports in question. Reboot router and consoles, and restart the games. If this does not work as shown in this example, there might be something wrong with the RAX200 UPnP PMP (port mapping protocol) feature.

UPnP party chat 3075 UDP.PNG

This should allow a connection to 3075/UDP or 3151/UDP from many different addresses and gamers (that's what Open NAT makes up). If it would allow a connection from only one IP address at a time (that's stated to be moderate NAT then), again something would be wrong.

Note: The above example isn't made on a RAX200.

@axtriom wrote:

I am going through the same thing and youd think their top of the line model would be able to offer such simple requests. I can only get one console at a time to have OPEN NAT every other one will be moderate.

Can't agree more - this must work with all Open NAT and the RAX200.

Message 6 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@Cabledogs420 wrote:
It seems the upnp is broke or some kinda of software issue.

Yes.

@Cabledogs420 wrote:
I just find it funny in this day and age a company can’t provide support for there products. 

Netgear does provide free complimentary technical support for Netgear products for 90 days from the original date of purchase. Later, they still provide support - it's no longer free however. 

@Cabledogs420 wrote:
Just sucks as when you look up reviews most seem bias in a good light but those youtubers are full of crap. 

Sigh, yes. Otherwise they get no more demo units. Critical reports when paired with comments are not honoured by Netgear: "Some of our teams don't like to work with you." Majority of these youtubers are very superficial - they don't care much about details and real-world usability.

@Cabledogs420 wrote:
So tired gaming with the kid mic cuts or echoes just so tired of paying good money for bad results.

Leaving local WLAN issues or poor uplink on the other player sites alone, one can assume the audio does go over an external proxy in this case.

Message 7 of 29
Cabledogs420
Guide

Well then something must be wrong for me. I have the static ip from isp so I don’t have double nat. As my carrier does have cgnat. But what is crazy is they will share etc for say twenty minutes and then poof. One system is on port 9038 another is 55232 where I have no idea that comes from. A lot of my issues I’m guessing stem from my carrier not having ipv6. It is driving me nuts cause on my r7000 or 8000 not sure which. Worked great for most everything except we kept losing the wifi networks and had to do hard reboot everyday. Gaming though all consoles were open and rocking. Thought ok we have streaming services now, gaming 1gb of speed I’ll go big maybe a little future proofing. Now I should say streaming movies homework and work for the wife as far those go are great. Gaming no way. I can’t even get my qos to work I go in change my console to highest hit apply. And just go back to where it was before normal etc. My brother in law let me borrow a asus one over the weekend everything fired up and all system open no echos from mics no lost network feature middle thru a game. So now I sit here and contemplate do I wait for the asus rapture gt axe-11000. Try the new one coming from Netgear in March. As I’m sure there is def something going crazy in mine. You call support for 90 days support I call bs they can give 1 year free support the fact they choose not to shows me they have to faith in hardware or software. As I can tell by many post of people and firmware issues.
Message 8 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@Cabledogs420 wrote:
Well then something must be wrong for me.

Yes, I had the RAX200 UPnP PMP part in mind, indeed.

@Cabledogs420 wrote:
One system is on port 9038 another is 55232 where I have no idea that comes from.

Whatever you want to explain with these two numbers. Can't follow you.

@Cabledogs420 wrote:
As I’m sure there is def something going crazy in mine. You call support for 90 days support I call bs they can give 1 year free support the fact they choose not to shows me they have to faith in hardware or software. As I can tell by many post of people and firmware issues.

Netgear could save a lot of unnecessary support tickets by massively enhance and fix the many firmware issues - within reasonable time. 

Message 9 of 29
Cabledogs420
Guide

Apologize in the upnp map each device shows what port it is using the devices will show 3074 on all devices. Go to devices they show open. Play 20 minutes go back to upnp and ports have changed for the devices. One says 9074 one will say 9028 and so on. And at that point a lot of network features have disappeared and we have to reset the console and everything starts to work fine. For a while then goes back. I thought console but happens on all of them. I appreciate your replies.
Message 10 of 29
schumaku
Guru

That's an interesting observation, great! Are the consoles wired, using wireless, or some mixed connection configs? Does this probably go along with a short connection loss and a disconnection as per the logs (if available)? This could be eg. also an short disconnect on the Internet side, a DHCP renewal, ...

Still convinced we see something between an oddity and a bug of the UPnP PMP implementation on the RAX200 here. Not sure about the best way to get Netgear's consumer BU for once to listen to us...

Message 11 of 29
Cabledogs420
Guide

So I have two hard wired into the router and two hard wired into extender. I do get interruption or lag outs where I will get notification Lan cable disconnected. Yet my mic stays connected to game chat the whole time. It’s really weird. I’m not really sure how to read the logs part. Most stuff I know has just been self taught trial and error and picking brains where I can. I have the extender using one of the 5 mhz wifi channels and dedicated just for the kids. I did a reservation on that address also. I may try using moca if that would help the situation but not sure that will. But after this still maybe a glitch with no work around. So I’m not sure grab one from asus or wait for firmware or new one coming out to see if they fix the bugs. I even tried downgrading in firmware as we didn’t have these systems before xmas so was no way to test them before hand. I do realize a lot of having issues could be solved I’m guessing by ipv6 but metronet does not offer that in my area. The ps5 just spoofs one where as the Xbox will not. Schumaku thank you for being patient and responding quickly as this post has been here for a few weeks with no response.
Message 12 of 29
fasagh44
Aspirant

How do I connect my Gigabit Ethernet switch to my ps4 in a way that definitely works? Whenever I try and test the connection my achieve IP cope with fails and I am not sure the way to restoration it

Message 13 of 29
D-MEAD
Tutor

Did you ever get this problem fixed? If not and still want a option, you are going to need a different Router. The Netgear Nighthawk R7000, or the R7000P Both work right out of the box for this. Enable UPnP and in the router settings set Nat type to open. Problem will be solved. I haven't found a WiFi 6 option from any router company yet that can get this done. Hope this helps.
Message 14 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@D-MEAD wrote:
Did you ever get this problem fixed? If not and still want a option, you are going to need a different Router. The Netgear Nighthawk R7000, or the R7000P Both work right out of the box for this. Enable UPnP and in the router settings set Nat type to open.

This would create the NAT table as shown as above in my reply one might guess -> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/Rax200-gaming-help/m-p/2045951/hig...

@D-MEAD wrote:
Problem will be solved. I haven't found a WiFi 6 option from any router company yet that can get this done.

Completely strange, considering there were at leas three different chipset makers with different dev kits.

What I wanted to ask - @D-MEAD Fk-9?

Message 15 of 29
axtriom
Aspirant

The R7000 can have multiple open NATs? Does this not come down to us using IPv4 standard with one public IP which conflicts with us requesting multiple of the same ports to be open? I wonder how the R7000 is able to do so becuase you’re not the first person to say that specific router was able to accomplish this.
Message 16 of 29
D-MEAD
Tutor

I don't know what you are asking. But the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 I bought in 2013 could do it. It died late last year. Tried most New WiFi 6 devices and couldn't find a solution. Bought a Netgear Nighthawk R7000p and right out of the box I've been able to get open Nat Type on 4 consoles. A Xbox One, 2PS4s and a PS5. No problems at all.
Message 17 of 29
D-MEAD
Tutor

Yes the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 I bought in 2013 could do this with UPnP on and going into settings and turning on open Nat type. The R7000p I have now gets up to 4 that I've tried. Xbox one, 2 PS4s, 1 PS5. Also have gotten it with X1, 3PS4s. The game I was testing this on is COD Cold War. Sometimes one of them or 2 will launch with Moderate. I will close the app, then launch a different game, then reopen the application and all will have Open Nat Type and all play at the same time. Have occasional drops in long Zombie's games. That is COD CW problem. Works great for multiplayer.
Message 18 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@D-MEAD wrote:
Yes the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 I bought in 2013 could do this with UPnP on and going into settings and turning on open Nat type. The R7000p I have now gets up to 4 that I've tried. Xbox one, 2 PS4s, 1 PS5. Also have gotten it with X1, 3PS4s. The game I was testing this on is COD Cold War. Sometimes one of them or 2 will launch with Moderate. I will close the app, then launch a different game, then reopen the application and all will have Open Nat Type and all play at the same time. Have occasional drops in long Zombie's games. That is COD CW problem. Works great for multiplayer.

Yes, this is good description. This allows to operate multiple stations on the same IPv4 network. The stations can request for example the ubiquitous port 3075/tcp for bi-directional audio communication. UPnP PMP will assign an alternate port externally of 3075/tcp if the same is already in use, and let the station know about, in turn the station will notifiy the gaming server/host the alternate port.  And voila, here it is the so called "open NAT".

Message 19 of 29
Cabledogs420
Guide

I haven’t solved the problem with rax200. I had the r7000 or 8000 however it would grant me open. But when everyone was trying to connect zoom Skype etc. the system would def bog down. It seems Netgear is going backwards with there newer technology. Asus seems to be having same issues. I’m not really sure where to go from here. You are right the 7000 will solve consoles issues for sure. But will struggle with all the streaming devices at once. If is just a couple no biggie. The extender now seems to only get half speeds have to constantly reset it seems. I should have went to school for IT. Lol
Message 20 of 29
D-MEAD
Tutor

How big is your place? Everything I've read about extenders does slow things down to a craw. With WiFi 6 and soon WiFi 6 e this will no longer be a problem. But the open Nat will be unless they fix the problem on their end. Myself living in a 1800 square foot home, the r7000/7000p covers it completely with it in the far corner in my gaming room. It's also a 2 story house. A couple questions: What modem are you using? Are you getting the actual speed you are paying for when you plug a computer directly into your modem. Last one: Can you get your ISPs equipment? If you get theirs the ball gets kicked into their court and they should have to help you with these things. A little extra money might be worth all the things you are trying to achieve. Good luck. If I find a WiFi 6 option I will come back and tell you. Please do the same.
Message 21 of 29
yournightmare21
Aspirant

i have a Rax200 and my ps4 is only on nat type 3 how do i change this ? becuase i can bearly play with friends 

Message 22 of 29
axtriom
Aspirant

There’s a couple different ways to do so but I do find the most efficient one for me is to port forward. I’ll always have open NAT and usually I end up the host of the game. It’s not very complicated but you’ll need a static IP set for your console & then get the ports needed for the game. Assuming it’s call of duty a google search of “ports for call of duty” will bring up the ones needed. If you don’t know how to there’s a few YouTube videos to reference. A user friendly way also would to make sure UPNP is on and Nat Filtering is set to Open. The reason I don’t do it this way is becuase this model seems to have a **bleep** upnp work up.
Message 23 of 29
TAS360
Aspirant

Has this issue been resolved?

I am looking at buying the RAX200 but I have 3 Xbox's in my home and want to know that I will have no issues getting an open NAT on all consoles.

I currently have the R7000 and have not had any issues gaming with an open NAT on all 3 consoles all the time. If the RAX200 is unable to do this then I definitely would have to look at a different device to upgrade to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 24 of 29
axtriom
Aspirant

Unfortunately it hasn’t been resolved and probably won’t be. Netgear doesn’t seem to care that this is a constant issue with their products. The R7000 seems to be the only router we’ve seen that can actually get open NAT for multiple consoles in one household so if that’s what you’re looking for stay with the R7000. The issue comes from IP Addresses only able to use one port at a time and until we’re merged to IPv6 we’ll continue to deal with NAT issues.
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7