× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rax40 1.0.3.80_1.0.1 update

Rax40 1.0.3.80_1.0.1 update

Has anyone with the Rax40 router tested the new 1.0.3.80_1.0.1 firmware? I seen some having issues so i'm worried about updating. I just use the modem and router for wifi and nothing special extra and no extenders. How easy is it to downgrade if any problem occurs with the update? Do I just upload a older firmware and factory reset before and after downgrade?
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
christer12
Star

I did not any factory reset before, but I did after. Updating was ok, but it takes some time.

My experience with the new firmware is it's more stable then the old, but not perfect. Have still some problems with UPnP, ports and 160MHz mode

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The only issue I am having is the EAX20 extender not connecting anymore. Other than that Smart Connect is great ... If you update, make sure after the update, do a factory reset and set your router again, it is no hassle trust me. And if you have problems, it is really easy to downgrade your firmware. Post here if you need help.

Message 3 of 8
rinku
Initiate

Post upgrade to Firmware Version V1.0.3.80_1.0.1, WiFi became unstable. Performed factory reset which didnt help. Resuming Wifi requires reboot of the device. Its annoying that a newly bought router is acting funky and no response from support either. Anyone facing the same issue and have resolved it?

Message 4 of 8
pbulteel
Star

Don't upgrade to 1.0.3.80. Wait until a later one comes out and it gets tested.

Message 5 of 8

I updated my rax40 to the latest firmware and haven't had any issues. I factory reset before and after firmware update though. Have you tried WPA2 because I know theres some reports of issues with WPA3 on some router models. If that don't work I would try downloading the latest firmware onto a pc connected via ethernet, then factory reset the router (pin hole on back held for 7 seconds) then go to routerlogin.net and upload the latest firmware and after router reboots from update, factory reset and setup as new. Alot of work but may help
Message 6 of 8
StephenHinWF
Aspirant

Hardware version R1.05

GUI Language version V1.0.3.64_1.0.0.13

Firmware version V1.0.3.64_1.0.1

Firmware 1.0.3.80_1.0.1 is an unmittigated disaster for the following reasons:

1. It killed my internal networking via the LAN. I have a Hubitat system consisting of a C4 and C5 hub connected via LAN. My main system is connected via LAN. After this update, I could no longer access the web interface of the hubs via the LAN. Interesting enough, I could still access them via WiFi. It is just that my ability to open the dashboards no longer worked. In addition, the communication between the hubs which are linked so that I have some sensors on one and some on the other with the main hub controlling automation no longer worked. This is totally unacceptable.

I spent two days trying to trace down what happened. I was not sure if it was a hub update, a Linux update, or what before it finally occurred to me to start investigating the router. Once I did, I was able to conclude that the firmware update to 1.0.3.80_.0.1 was the cause of this problem. I am glad that the 1.0.3.64_1.0.1 firmware was still available for download. Once I installed it, and after a reboot, everything started working properly again.

It reminds me of the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The router was working and this firmware update broke it. This needs to be relayed to Netgear so that they will find and fix the problem so it does not get perpetuated in future updates. My complementary support ended and I am not going to pay in order to report this. I have not needed support otherwise, so paying to report this would be adding insult to injury.

Message 7 of 8
itsmehuey
Luminary

@StephenHinWF wrote:

Hardware version R1.05

GUI Language version V1.0.3.64_1.0.0.13

Firmware version V1.0.3.64_1.0.1

Firmware 1.0.3.80_1.0.1 is an unmittigated disaster for the following reasons:

1. It killed my internal networking via the LAN. I have a Hubitat system consisting of a C4 and C5 hub connected via LAN. My main system is connected via LAN. After this update, I could no longer access the web interface of the hubs via the LAN. Interesting enough, I could still access them via WiFi. It is just that my ability to open the dashboards no longer worked. In addition, the communication between the hubs which are linked so that I have some sensors on one and some on the other with the main hub controlling automation no longer worked. This is totally unacceptable.

I spent two days trying to trace down what happened. I was not sure if it was a hub update, a Linux update, or what before it finally occurred to me to start investigating the router. Once I did, I was able to conclude that the firmware update to 1.0.3.80_.0.1 was the cause of this problem. I am glad that the 1.0.3.64_1.0.1 firmware was still available for download. Once I installed it, and after a reboot, everything started working properly again.

It reminds me of the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The router was working and this firmware update broke it. This needs to be relayed to Netgear so that they will find and fix the problem so it does not get perpetuated in future updates. My complementary support ended and I am not going to pay in order to report this. I have not needed support otherwise, so paying to report this would be adding insult to injury.

this issue has been reported by almost every single RAX40 user but signs of a fix are far far away as they're still "testing" a new firmware with some people who have contacted supported. however, most of us are beyond the 90 day support period and will just get told to purchase a support plan which is so bloody wrong in so many regards. You want us to pay to get support for a product which you released with faulty firmware? Get F'd I say.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7