× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rax40 2x2 radios compared to r6700v3 ac1750 3x3 radios

MikeEMike
Tutor

Rax40 2x2 radios compared to r6700v3 ac1750 3x3 radios

Looking into upgrading from the r6700v3 to the rax40 but concerned about getting less streams. Both 2.4 and 5 radios on the r6700v3 are 3x3. I'm seeing alot of the wifi 6 routers 2.4 radio are only 2x2. Are the wifi 6 routers that much more efficient that they downgraded the streams on 2.4? Wondering if I should look at the higher end netgear to at least get more streams on the 5 radio. I have fios 1 gig service. What would be the recommendation? I have at least 35 devices online. Thanks.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Most wireless devices (phones/tablets/laptops/etc) are only 1x1 or 2x2 antenna devices. 

Which is why you see lot of routers start with the base model being a 2x2 antenna device. 

I'm not sure how much/to any of a benefit you'd see going from an R6700v3 to a RAX40 unless you had several AX devices on your network.  AX is faster and more efficient at concurrent usage so you might see some benefits there. 

So its tough to say which is going to be better for your needs. 

If the r6700 is working and covering all your needs, I'd probably hold off and either save a little more or wait for generation 2 of AX so the first generation devices go on sale/discounted more. then you can get a higher end model. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Most wireless devices (phones/tablets/laptops/etc) are only 1x1 or 2x2 antenna devices. 

Which is why you see lot of routers start with the base model being a 2x2 antenna device. 

I'm not sure how much/to any of a benefit you'd see going from an R6700v3 to a RAX40 unless you had several AX devices on your network.  AX is faster and more efficient at concurrent usage so you might see some benefits there. 

So its tough to say which is going to be better for your needs. 

If the r6700 is working and covering all your needs, I'd probably hold off and either save a little more or wait for generation 2 of AX so the first generation devices go on sale/discounted more. then you can get a higher end model. 

Message 2 of 6
MikeEMike
Tutor

Thanks for the advice. Have to tame my upgrade bug. R6700v3 works quite well and I only have 1 wifi 6 device. Seems like you have to pay $300 to get a wifi 6 router that will still support AC and N devices at comparable speeds to my r6700v3. Netgear isn't putting those specs on the datasheets like asus does. Only posting ax speeds. Going to wait or maybe get a better ac router. Got more going on due to being home now. Even higher end ac routers are expensive. Got my r6700v3 dirt cheap 2 years ago. Cost twice as much now. Guess everybody on wifi now so supply and demand. Have a great day.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

yeah, we've seen prices jump quite a bit. to many people tansisitioned to work from home and and found their setup wasn't adequate. 

Besides needing more routers/mesh networks, you have reduced production because of the covid. The perfect supply/demand problem like you said. 

Not sure how big your home is but if you're needing more coverage then moving to a mesh system might help more than just getting a better router. Amazon has fequrently been selling the rbk43 system renewed for pretty reasonable. 

Message 4 of 6
MikeEMike
Tutor

Coverage seems to work quite well on a 1000 Sq ft 2 level condo with front and back porch. Got smart bulbs and plugs on the porches and they stay connected. Don't think I need mesh. Last firmware update caused a glitch on my 2.4 radio in auto channel mode so I put it on channel 6 and it's happy now. Did the update thru the app which I heard isn't the best idea. Should have just logged in thru my pc and updated that way. Might go back and reapply the update at some point. I only use the router in ap mode from my fios quantum router. Tried putting it in front of the quantum but after 2 days it started dropping wireless and wired devices so it's back to ap mode. 35 devices might be 2 much for it to route and provide wireless. Main reason I'm looking is I'd like to have something that can handle being in front of the quantum. Just let the quantum handle the cable boxes. Quantum wireless sucks which is why I originally purchased the r6700v3. 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

In ap mode, there's not a whole lot of load on the router. 

Might even be something to just buy a purpose designed access point or business class. 

Netgears got a line of AX access points coming out. Like the WAX218 (AX3600) or WAX214 (AX1800).  

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-Desktop-Access-WAX214/dp/B08PQ3CRWK

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QDXTGQT/ref=emc_b_5_t

Not a whole lot of info on them since they're pre-order but might be worth checking out when more details come out. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7