× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rax80 Wired ethernet connection slower than wifi speed

GregJ_
Follower

Rax80 Wired ethernet connection slower than wifi speed

Changed to a new Nighthawk AX8 and getting only 10Mbs download from the ethernet connected computer while all wifi connected devices are getting 178Mbs download. I've tried rebooting everything several times, switching the ethernet ports, and switching cables ----- === no luck. When I go back to my old router, everything is fine. I have the latest firmware and have done everything. What the hell's the problem with this NIGHTHAWK AX8 8-Stream AX6000 WiFi Router Modexl RAX80 with firmware version V1.0.1.56_1.0.23 .... ?????? Jeeezz ....

Message 1 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Re: Rax80 Wired ethernet connection slower than wifi speed

Have checked if the connected systems might have fall-back on the Ethernet auto-negotiation to 10 Mb/s?

Potentially a hardware issue with your device.

Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Rax80 Wired ethernet connection slower than wifi speed

agree with @schumaku in that it could be a specific to that computer and not the router. Especially if wifi speeds are good. have you tried connecting a different device via ethernet? 

Message 3 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Betreff: Rax80 Wired ethernet connection slower than wifi speed

exactly the same issue here. for about a week or so everything worked just fine. i have a 1Gbs downstream connection from my ISP and were getting around 920Mbps with my RAX8. After a furniture rearrangement which included switching the RAX80 off for about 2 minutes, I only get 420 to 500Gbs over wired ethernet with wireless speeds much higher at about 800Mbs (just as before). Nothing else changed. Same cables, same setup, QoS deactivated, latest firmware, factory reset, many reboots, testing with other wired ethernet devices (all capable of 1Gbs) - but the speed stays as low as mentioned above. The internal speedtest of the router still shows speeds around 920-930 Mbps but it can't be delivered to the wired devices. 

HELP!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 4 of 11
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Betreff: Rax80 Wired ethernet connection slower than wifi speed

Hi nullie, 

What devices are you using to test your speeds? Were you able to run a speed test directly to the modem? 

~Christian 

Message 5 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have been using a windows 10 desktop pc and a macbook pro 15" (2018) for wired speedtesting and an iphone x and samsung galaxy s10 for wifi speeds. but again - and I can't stress this enough - before I rebooted the device the speeds were great. I had the RAX80 for about 2 weeks and everything worked fine with superior speeds; after rebooting the device once it seems like a speed cap at 500Mbs kicks in affecting only the switching ports. 

Connecting a cable from my desktop pc to the modem directly gives me network speeds around 920-930Mbs, just like when I'm doing a network speedtest in the router's webfrontend itself. 

Message 6 of 11
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had same issue and was able to fix it by factory reset. The issue came back after update to new firmware. I did not want to reset so I toggled QoS on and off. I left QoS off and I am getting 940Mbs on wired and up to 840Mbs on WiFi on my laptop. The issue has not returned for over three weeks now.

Message 7 of 11
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi nullie - Thanks for the update. Have you tried performing a factory reset to see if it resolves your issue as stated by xjn. 

~Christian 

Message 8 of 11
dragonpak
Tutor

I had the same issue after the new 56 firmare, thanks to xjn tips, I switch on and off the Qos setting, now back to 940mbps. and the MIMO setting for wireless doesn't work, once switch on , the wireless will just drop off all connected devices. 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 9 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

business trip... sorry for answering late.

that actually solved my problem! speed is back to normal. thank you xjn! 

Message 10 of 11
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi nullie, 

We're glad to hear! We recommend marking @xjn's comment as a solution as it may help others who may experience the same issue. 

Hope you had a good business trip! 

~Christian 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7