× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rax80 reverts to factory settings on reboot

Kev_M
Aspirant

Rax80 reverts to factory settings on reboot

Hi, 

My RAX80 reverts to factory settings on reboot.  I saw this problem on another thread and made some disparaging remarks so I was enouraged to start my own thread by @ashrahman88 

I have a Model RAX80, purchased from Best Buy about a year and a half ago, firmware: V1.0.3.106_1.0.50.  This is my third Netgear Router so even though some find the interface somewhat unintuitive, I'm quite used to it (meaning is should proably be updated, ha ha, but I digress). When rebooting my router, all the settings are lost.

After losing the settings, it's quick to re-assign the SSID and password using the Android App but I use the QOS settings for 11 wifi speakers (Yamaha Music Cast) since they have to be done one-at-a-time, that can be time-comsuming. 

Today I'm installing a new NAS (Synology DS920+) and had to reboot several times...  which is what brought me back to the forum. Surprize! The router is not keeping the Ethernet Port Aggregation setting because when I restart to "apply changes" all the settings disappear. I'm not sure there is a way around this...

Sometimes the unit simply stops sending a wifi signal which I think it unrelated and may be tied to over-heating so I have simply turned the unit sideways which seems to help. 

I bought a premium router hoping to have it for a few years so this is frustrating. 

Thanks for any thoughts you might have. 

- K

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
Kev_M
Aspirant

Re: Rax80 reverts to factory settings on reboot

* sorry, it was @plemans who suggested I start a separate thread...

@Kev_M wrote:

Hi, 

My RAX80 reverts to factory settings on reboot.  I saw this problem on another thread and made some disparaging remarks so I was enouraged to start my own thread by @ashrahman88 

I have a Model RAX80, purchased from Best Buy about a year and a half ago, firmware: V1.0.3.106_1.0.50.  This is my third Netgear Router so even though some find the interface somewhat unintuitive, I'm quite used to it (meaning is should proably be updated, ha ha, but I digress). When rebooting my router, all the settings are lost.

After losing the settings, it's quick to re-assign the SSID and password using the Android App but I use the QOS settings for 11 wifi speakers (Yamaha Music Cast) since they have to be done one-at-a-time, that can be time-comsuming. 

Today I'm installing a new NAS (Synology DS920+) and had to reboot several times...  which is what brought me back to the forum. Surprize! The router is not keeping the Ethernet Port Aggregation setting because when I restart to "apply changes" all the settings disappear. I'm not sure there is a way around this...

Sometimes the unit simply stops sending a wifi signal which I think it unrelated and may be tied to over-heating so I have simply turned the unit sideways which seems to help. 

I bought a premium router hoping to have it for a few years so this is frustrating. 

Thanks for any thoughts you might have. 

- K

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Rax80 reverts to factory settings on reboot

When it comes to the RAX devices, the latest firmware isn't always the greatest. 

they also respond favorable to factory resets with manual reinstalls (not from a backup). 

Have you been having issues since you owned it or when did the issues start? 

If it just started recently, it might be worth downgrading to version 1.0.3.102 (or earlier) over a harwired connection. Then do the factory reset/clean install. 

What gateway is it connected to? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rax80.aspx

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7