× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS vs US storage

aliyallah
Follower

ReadyNAS vs US storage

Good evening all

I bought the AX12 RAX120 two days ago and I have been very frustrated with it. My whole goal is to attach a storage drive to it so I could reduce my dependance on Dropbox. I tried to connect to READYSHARE.NETGEAR.COM for two days straight to no avail. I finally called Tech support and instead they had me connect to Readycloud. It seems ready cloud is for NAS and not a USB storage drive connected to the modem. So my questions are:

Is it possible to convert the USB storage device attached to the Nighthawk into a NAS? If so how?

With the USB storage device, is it possible to have files automatically synch to a folder a I created on the drive? All the steps I saw on Youtube are related to NAS. I don't see how to sync files using the connection I have. 

Is it possible to have my photos on my Apple iPhone 10 automatically backup to the USB storage? Right now I am able to achieve all the above using dropbox. 

Thank you in advance for your help. If you need further details, please let me know. 

Thanks, ali. 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: ReadyNAS vs US storage

@aliyallah wrote:

I finally called Tech support and instead they had me connect to Readycloud. It seems ready cloud is for NAS and not a USB storage drive connected to the modem.

ReadyCloud can also do USB. But first you need to get ReadySHARE to work.

@aliyallah wrote:

Is it possible to convert the USB storage device attached to the Nighthawk into a NAS?

USB, or ReadySHARE, is a basic version of NAS. It can never hope to be as good as a proper Ethernet NAS.

Before you can get anything approaching informed advice, you will have to tell people what the USB devices are.

This might also be useful:

Will my USB drive work with ReadySHARE | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@aliyallah wrote:

With the USB storage device, is it possible to have files automatically synch to a folder a I created on the drive? All the steps I saw on Youtube are related to NAS. I don't see how to sync files using the connection I have. 

Possibly not with anything built into the router, but the right software on your devices might do it. ReadySHARE Vault might hack it for Windows, but a mobile device isn't the same thing.

A good place to start would be the manual and what it says about ReadySHARE.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7