× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyShare Not ready for primetime./

gworley1
Aspirant

ReadyShare Not ready for primetime./

Why is ReadyShare able to create folders and files that effectively give only Read and Execute permissions with only one login which should have full access?

Running the latest version of the firmware V1.0.1.136

Without user accounts and no way to modify security ReadyShare is a waste of space in the firmware.  Time to buy a Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB for under $100 setup a proper NAS with user accounts with a working Personal Cloud that I can control.  Your software is Linux based yet cannot do anything with security or the lack there off.  Either you give users the admin account password or they don't have access.  An end user should be able setup security on the NAS drive portion of the firmware as she or he sees fit.

I was ask for the firmware version in another thread on this forum by a moderator and the first reply that I posted somehow disappeared and the second time I posted hasn't received a reply in almost 2 weeks.  Meanwhile programs such as GoodSync and Robosync are able to create inaccessible folders and files.  Having to remove the attached hard drives and connecting them to a PC or a MAC is not the answer. I haven't used ReadyShare in the past because I have 2 3TB NAS units that I can set user accounts and permissions however as of December 31, 2020 they will become useless as the use flash to configure them.  Hard drives are still good.  Seagate will not fix them as they are discontinued.

Disappointed in what should have been an inexpensive NAS solution for 2 to 3 users.

George Worley

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: ReadyShare Not ready for primetime./

ReadyShare is implemented like many early or basic NAS using shared folder access control only. This does bypass almost everything, being the U**x permissions, being ACLs or whatever is in place on the storage media.

The "complete" SAMBA implementation with users and many groups does require the deployment of ACLs to the file system.

Most users don't care about what is going on on their USB storage in file/folder protection and ownership - they want to connect it to their computers (typically MacOS, or Windows) and get access with read and write to all the data. Everything above is ways beyond the average home user needs to share data.

That's what it was made for.

Similar, assuming you talk of a Seagate Linux based NAS, it was (and is) just shared folder based access system. The only exception was the Windows Storage Server based NAS.

Needless to say, the "need" to use the admin (sigh ... root!) credentials is simply not acceptable.

PS. Look what is going on inside of your router - you will be amazed (or not), plenty of processes operating as UID 0 - how much these processes care about your U**x protection masks and file ownerships on the U**x file system? Nothing 8-)

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7