× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyShare drives not playing nice with large files after update

SlipknoT74769
Aspirant

ReadyShare drives not playing nice with large files after update

I have used two ReadyShare drives through the routers USB ports for a Plex server and Games drive since getting this router a little over a year ago. I'm still able to see the drives from all the PCs on the network and generally they work fine, but after a recent firmware update, I'm no longer able to transfer larger files (around 1.2GB it seems, but it varies) and not able to delete certain files. I get weird errors like "Invalid file handle" or I/O errors when trying to move or delete files to or from the drive through network maps (There are files that were trasnfered to the drive fine before the update, but now are unmoveable and not able to be deleted after the update).

Using FTP seems to fix the file size transfer issue (I'm able to download a file to a computer on the network, then move it via FTP just fine) but still not able to delete certain files through FTP and get a "Permission Denied" error, but again, only on certain files.

Is there a fix for this, or does anybody have an idea of what could be going on? I'm not able to map FTP shares to a drive letter and download large files directly to the ReadyShare drives like I used to and still not able to remotely delete certain files no matter what I do. It's not a permissions/credentials issue either as I'm able to delete MOST files, just not certain ones.

Thank you for your time, and PLEASE help!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
SlipknoT74769
Aspirant

Re: ReadyShare drives not playing nice with large files after update

So I've been reading the forums and it appears to be the newest update causing issues with files over 2GB. Can I just download the old firmware and flash that without errors and is there any downside to NOT having the latest firmware? Is Netgear going to fix this in a new update?

Message 2 of 7
SlipknoT74769
Aspirant

So I've downgraded to firmware version 1.0.5.2 and it fixed the issue.

Whatever Netgear changed from this firmware to the most recent, messed up large file transfers.

Please let me know when this issue is resolved, as I would like to be on the latest firmware for security reasons. I was an early adopter for this router, and as much as I paid for it, I would expect it to work properly! This is putting a SERIOUSLY sour taste in my mouth for buying another Netgear router in the future.

Message 3 of 7
BB_FB
Aspirant

I have the same problem. Took al lot of time to try to solve. Did not succeed. 

I could only find one strange thing.

If i connect the usb hard disk directly to my computer, go into terminal and use ls - l the file size given is good

If i connect the usb hard drive directly to my nighthawk, go into terminal and use ls -l the file size given is negative 

(-rwxrwxrwx  1 USERNAME  staff  -510777885 DATE FILENAME)

I think this is the problem but i don't know the solution for it.

Message 4 of 7
labatt
Mentor

When will folks learn that a network attached NAS is the only way to go? 

Routers are built to route not do all the other stuff like try to act like a NAS. 

Gave up on that long ago and how have a QNAP NAS that just works. No issues with file size or anything else. 

Message 5 of 7
BB_FB
Aspirant

Small update, or how to solve the problem

- make a back-up of your router settings

- restore router to factory settings

- downgrade firmware

- restore factory settings

problem solved

result: -rwxrwxrwx 1 USErNAME staff 3784189411 DATE FILENAME

so the firmware released is terrible. Even more terrible, is that the data / the disk was corrupted bij the upgrade of the firmware.

diskutil and als fsck could not repair the disk so i needed to buy Diskwarrior ($132,90) to rescue the data on the disk.

I wonder, will Netgear pay me for the made expenses and for a lot of time spend to solve this problem caused by their crappy new unstable firmware???

Message 6 of 7
brucescar
Aspirant

I have a RAX48, and I think I'm having the same issue. Where can I find older firmware versions to try and see if downgrading also solves my problem? Thanks!
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7