× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recommendation between AX4 VS X10 for new buy

preynoso
Aspirant

Recommendation between AX4 VS X10 for new buy

Hello guys, wanted to see what your thought were between buying an X10 or buying one of the new RAX40 WiFi 6 routers. My application is a medium home, running 1gps google fiber so I’d like to take advantage of that, mostly WiFi devices although I do have 4 line connections to my current R7000. The R7000 has been giving issues and I saw the X10 at $250 and wanted to jump at it but after reading about the new WiFi 6 routers and seeing the RAX40 is only $150 I’m torn between what to get. Which would you think will give me the best WiFi speeds and the least hassle? X10 seems like a power house but have read some issues with new firmware and RAX40 has all the new technology although a lot less bells and whistles and have also read there’s issues with firmware updates now and not really quite much benefit for the WiFi 6 at this point.
Thanks for your time and help.

Pablo
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router, RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: Recommendation between AX4 VS X10 for new buy

Try reading the messages here already.

There are more than enough to give you some clues as to the user experiences with these devices.

For " least hassle" investigate the Orbi range.

Message 2 of 4
preynoso
Aspirant

I have been reading them, pretty much they say both are a piece of crap.... lol but some people have posted their X10 gave them better speeds than the new AX4/AX8/AX12 so my question still remains. Any advice would be appreciated.
Message 3 of 4
digitsnbits
Apprentice

I've used both the AX4 and a RAX80. Both are absolute garbage especially the AX4. The AX4 got returned within a couple of days. The RAX80 is sitting in a box, can't return it and too frustrating to use.

If you're looking at an AX4 try the Asus RT-AX58U (Best Buy, similar specs) which is a way better experience and actually works as advertised. Or the Asus RT-AX88U which at this point blows the doors of of anything Netgear makes, which is what I'm using now. Netgear blows.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7