× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Remain logged in in the admin UI?

lagr
Guide

Remain logged in in the admin UI?

Two quick questions:

1. The timeout for staying logged in in my new router is very short. Is there a way to increase it?

2. I want a non-7-bit character (ö) in my guest network name. I found this https://alexplescan.com/posts/2016/08/16/emojify-your-wifi-netgear-r6300/ but it doesn't seem to work for me. Are there any other solution?

Thank you.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi lagr,

Welcome to the community! 

1. This is by design and there is no way to increase the time logged into the admin UI.

2. We recommend that you use valid characters in the guest network name. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 9
labatt
Mentor

Agree. As long as you use alpha neumeric characters for SSID passwords things should work. Yes there are documents out there that say these are all valid characters, by the standard. However, most vendors do not abide by them. 

Message 3 of 9
lagr
Guide

That is a genuinely stupid design desicion. I live by myself and am the only user of this router. Exactly why should I have to login again and again when I want to administrate this router?

Why is  a 8-bit character "not valid"? It works fine on my previous Airport.

Message 4 of 9
labatt
Mentor

Just a question. Why are you constantly "adminstrating" the router? Once setup it should just work. I may login to my network once a week just to see if there is anything in logs, but my network just purrs along without my intervention. 

Message 5 of 9
lagr
Guide

I am not. but ATM I am setting it up from scratch and that means that I have to google and readup quite a bit and everytime I return to the router I am kicked out.

Furthermore, in the future, when there are FW upgrades, I am gonna repeat this and look up new functions and other changes.

What is the advantage in my situation to be kicked out all the time? What does this policy remedy?

Message 6 of 9
labatt
Mentor

Like most web and device logouts it has to do with security. Take your bank for example. Bet they have a timeout for no activity. Would not want someone else setting down and transfering my money to their account. So same at a lower scale with the router. Understand the frustration haviing to log back in when doing research and then when you are ready you are logged out. Been there. 

Message 7 of 9
lagr
Guide

Yes, of course that is the motivation but it is not a very wellthought motivation. I would be much more concerned if someone accessed my Gmail or Facebook account than my router, and they both allow me to remain logged in for months (or years) at the time. Even this site allows that.

Message 8 of 9

After a router is set up and running, most people rarely go back in and mess around. That's the whole point of setting it up.

However, if you want to monitor activity and control some basics, such as the wifi, then the desktop genie for your operating is your friend.

If you want the desktop genie for Windows, for example, start here:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

You may have to dismiss an annoying pop-up that tries to push a mobile app down your throat.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7