× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Removing Arcadyan Smart Modem and Installing Nighthawk Mesh WIFI6 AX1800?

smokin007
Aspirant

Removing Arcadyan Smart Modem and Installing Nighthawk Mesh WIFI6 AX1800?

G,Day Netgear Community,

I have purchased the above modem / WIFI6 Mesh system...I had an "Arcadyan Smart ac Modem" and I am simply trying to remove the old Arcadyan and set up the Netgear Mesh system... I want to use WIFI with the new system as I have done with the previous modem but it simply wont connect??.

I want to power the new modem by removing the old one entirely and the sats at the sametime and use WIFI throughout the house...My laptop recognise's the Netgear modem but will not connect at all ... It asked when installing the modem through the settings within the lapstop for the modems password which I typed in and it wont connect ...I have tried a factory reset several times along with sycn and nothing changes... If I put the old arcadyan back on it connects within minutes but as soon as I put the new modem on it knocks the internet out???..

I simply won't to plug it in, turn the sats on, type in my password on my laptop and hope for interent?... Not happening!!.. I have tried the mobile app and it wont connect either?...I have read everything and I have a headache as this has been 4.5hrs now... Any ideas or should I return the Mesh WIFI6 and get a refund?... Thank you very much...

Regards

Message 1 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Removing Arcadyan Smart Modem and Installing Nighthawk Mesh WIFI6 AX1800?

Hi smokin007,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 9
smokin007
Aspirant

Christian,

Thank you for taking the time, to reply, to my post and question ... I will try one more time then perhaps ask support...Hope to get around to setting the "Mesh" up Tues 8 Sept 20 and I will included you when I reply... Once again thank you...

Regards

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

What kind of Internet connection, which ISP(often very informative), and what exact type of Arcadian deivce are we talking of here? The Nighthawk Mesh is an Ethernet router, not a modem (e.g. for ADSL or VDSL or CableTV).

Message 4 of 9
smokin007
Aspirant

Schumaku,

Thanks for your reply... This an NBN 50 bundle which is (FTTN) and of course a Telstra Arcadyan Gen2 Smart LH1000 modem which use's VDSL maybe VDSL2?...I have tried evrything to connect this "Mesh / Satallitie" MK63 up with the ISP supplied modem with the ethernet cable supplied...Please not: _   I only supplied the following to Netgear support today...

(Received from Netgear         

NZ Territory Manager

NETGEAR

Hi 

I believe for NBN connections you still need to have the VDSL router connected.

Try connecting the MK router to your existing VDSL one.  Let me know how you get on.

G,Day Support,
                                      I have put well over 15-20 hours into finding a suitable compatibility between my Arcadyan LH1000 and the Netgear and while the Nighthawk is I'm sure a very outstanding product it simply should'nt be this hard to setup... So I have listed below everything I have done and encountered during these trial setups so as you can have a clearer picture of just what has happened here... I must say the Netgear has done no work whatsoever apart from being turned on to try to get it to work...Please find attempted follow ups since we last spoke....

Highthawk AX1800 Attempted Fixes:
    1.   The Nighthawk Mobile app was uninstalled on three (3) seperate occasions... 
    2. Have always used a "Private Network" at home not "Public"..
    3. Tried following leads_ Netgear Ethernet as supplied_ WAN-LAN Telstra supplied _ Ethernet cable Telstra supplied for Arcadyan LH1000...
    4. Arcadyan turned on and "Green" light static_ Nighthawk turned on and satellites all turned "Blue" and within 1.5 - 2mins Nighthawk modem light turned to "Red" and stays "Red"_ Upon the Nighthawk turning static "Blue" the ethernet cable was connected to the Arcadyan VDSL modem via port No1 1._ Nighthawk still turned to "Red"...
    5. Cannot sign into the interface of the Netgear34 but can sign in through the Arcadyan interface but the Arcadyan Telstra "UserID" has been renamed "Netgear34"????
    6. Nighthawk Netgear modem shows up as connected to the Arcadyan via ethernet but modem front light still " Red"?...
    7. My mob phone, which is a Samsung A50 with the latest update patch installed on 1 Aug. 20 and within the Nighthawk app after the apps search to connect states " Internet isn't stable and this WIFI network on your phone has changed to mobile network data...When WIFI network quality improves the phone will switch back"...I use Optus mobile data and when at home it connects to the Telstra house bundle...
    8. The IP address when the Nighthawk is connected changes to _ 192.168.1.0/24?... Port 8080? can be used ( I haven't done that!!)_ Normal Telstra Arcadyan address _ 192.168.1.1 _ 192.168.1.254..
    9. Arcadyan security used = WPA _ PSK...
          I have been advised to refer this one to Netgear support, as I have 90days upfront support but I'm sure, when I say, I have tried everything keeping in mind all of the NBN specifications needed I.e. FTTN and of course the Arcadyan is a smart modem Gen2 and of course VDSL it is also important to note this as well...I think the Nighthawk is ahead of its time and whilst I checked to ensure it would work, I think Telstra somehow are having the modem sign in as a "Guest" and nothing will change....All of the smart TV and Google Nest setup is dropped as well until a fresh connection is placed back with the Arcadyan LH1000 modem...Shouldn't be this hard... My laptop ASUS Zenbook is AX6 as well...Thanks for responding....
Regards 
Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

To keep the story short - the  Nighthawk Mesh WIFI6 AX1800 router is Ethernet WAN, not a VDSL(2) device. As such, it can't be connected direct to the two wire VDSL link. You still need either a plain DSL modem, or look for the ability to operate the current device in bridge mode, so the DSL link data becomes available on an Ethernet port. The DSL termination (data wise) could be done on the Netgear router.

Alternate - much easier - keep the provider modem/router in place, and connect the Nighthawk Mesh in Access Point mode for doing the LAN distribution only.

Message 6 of 9
smokin007
Aspirant

Schmaku,

I will try anything, most importantly you know what your talking about, not like those so called fully up to date technical sales people...Its been an experience this one in most cases I can manage ....Thank you...

Regards

Message 7 of 9
smokin007
Aspirant

Schumaka,

The arcadyan has what is called ACL " Access Control List" under WIFI settings and has " Blacklist or Whitelist" then asks for a MAC address?..No idea what the Netgear Mac is?... Also has Bridge mode under "WAN Services" then it saks me if I,m sure I want to engage bridge?...It pops up with an IP and if I cancel (Unsure) it locks me out and theres a need to login again...As you stated ACL may be easier...

Regards

Message 8 of 9
smokin007
Aspirant

Schumaka,

Also the Netgear Mesh changed the Arcdayan userid (SSID) and password and dropped all of my devices I.e. Google Home, Nest, Sound Bar, Smart TV etc; and all these devices are looking for the old settings?...Can I change the modem back to the old settings?...

Just a question if I may would I be better off dumping this modem and getting a netgear product thats going to work much easier than this??...Thank you... 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7