× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Request to update and action results in Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 TriBand disabled.

Not-Maven
Follower

Request to update and action results in Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 TriBand disabled.

Email Request by Netgear to update Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Router results in Router being disabled. This fits no category of customer service. Does anyone know how to reach Netgear on this issue? The product was great until updated.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: Request to update and action results in Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 TriBand disabled.

@Not-Maven wrote:

Email Request by Netgear to update Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Router results in Router being disabled. This fits no category of customer service. Does anyone know how to reach Netgear on this issue? The product was great until updated.

Explain what you mean here – I'm lost – and the message may get through.

Otherwise try this:

Idea Exchange For Home - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 4
rinthos
Luminary

Re: Request to update and action results in Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 TriBand disabled.

@Not-Maven wrote:

I'm going to guess you got an email notification regarding a firmware update, and ran the firmware update and it broke your router and you want to contact Netgear?

To do so: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Assuming you've done decent troubleshooting, but if not you can try factory resetting your router, and then trying the TFTP update method.

IF still no go, and you are under warranty, you can request an RMA on that site above.

Factory Reset: https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

TFTP Update method: https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

Message 3 of 4

If that really is what the question is about, I caution against using that last link. The advice is out of date and likely to cause problems for people who have to go out and get third party software. It also adds unnecessary complication.

Instead use this:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This explains how to use the TFTP clients that comes with Windows. There may also be a Mac equivalent.

There is more severe, recovery reset, that you could try:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If it works, you may be able to use the usual method to flash the firmware again.

Download the latest firmware for your device – or an older version if that is what you want – and read the Release Notes for how to install it.

If that fails, you are into TFTP country.

This isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it, you could try a web search to find videos that guide you through the process.

The good news is that TFTP has rescued many a dead device.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7