× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router Decision!?

Mike_A_L
Follower

Router Decision!?

I hoping for some guidance...  I’m looking to replace my modem & router setup.  My ISP recommended – among others – a Motorola MB8600 modem.  Motorola suggests a Netgear WiFi 6 router to go with that for optimum performance.  I’m looking at two Netgear products:  a NETGEAR Nighthawk 6-Stream AX5400 WiFi 6 Router (RAX50) and a NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBK752) – Router with 1 Satellite Extender.  A couple of questions: 

1. Do I only need ONE of these routers, or do I need both? 
  2. In your opinion, is one router “better” than the other for speed and distance?

Deets:

• I live in a two story home (approx. 3,200 sq. ft., basement, and ground floor).
  • Run Mac OS 12.0.1 (Monterey)
  • ISP connection in basement with current modem/router setup.
  • I'm a gamer, but not avid.
  • Game system is in basment.
  • TV up on ground floor.

THANKS in advance for any/all help!!!

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

With the RAX50  you may need a additional wifi extender, depending where you have the main router, for additional coverage. Basements are not recommended places for main router units. 1st or 2nd floor is recommended. 

Orbi would work as well. I game too, 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

With the RAX50  you may need a additional wifi extender, depending where you have the main router, for additional coverage. Basements are not recommended places for main router units. 1st or 2nd floor is recommended. 

Orbi would work as well. I game too, 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7