× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router Freezes After Several Hours

CmdrKeene
Tutor

Router Freezes After Several Hours

My brand new Nighthawk AX3000 (RAX40) seemed to be great after setup. Very strong signal (more than enough to cover my 600 SF apartment) and fast speeds.  But several times now it's just totally frozen and stopped routing any traffic.  All the lights remain green, but no wireless devices can even join the network, those that were online were dropped offline, and even hard-wired devices like a PC and Xbox (and Hue Bridge) that were plugged in by ethernet cable stop working as well.  The only fix is to reboot the router, which takes FAR longer than any router I've ever owned my life.

After having to reset it 5 or 6 times over just 3 days since I purchased it, I'm getting very frustrated. What is going on?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi CmdrKeene, 

Thank you for your post. Your device is provided with 90 days of complimentary support. Have you had a chance to contact support regarding your issue? You will find several options for contacting support using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. 

~Christian 

Message 2 of 6
CmdrKeene
Tutor

I do have a support case open, although they seem to want to call me on the phone instead of replying by email. That's fine, but it seems very counter productive because this issue is "solved" by rebooting. I'm sure tonight they will call me, reboot the router, talk to me for the 10-15 minutes it takes to reboot and verify it's fine, and then assume success and hang up. I'm not looking forward to this, but I'll go through the steps.

I wish they would tell me what they'd like me to do, I could do it immediately now and then maybe 6 hours from now when they call me I can more confidently say if the steps taken had helped or not.

I don't understand what this thing is doing, maybe it's not renewing the DHCP leases or something.  When the issue occurs there is nothing you can do from any client (hard wired with cable or wireless) that will bring it back to life. You can't even connect to the SSIDs and the wired connections get no throughput until the thing gets rebooted.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi CmdrKeene, 

Thanks for the update. Please continue to work with support on your issue and please feel free to reach out to me if additional assistance is needed. In the meantime, you may send me a message with your email address and case number and I can notify support to have your case followed up as soon as possible if your schedule permits. 

~Christian 

Message 4 of 6
CmdrKeene
Tutor

Just sent you a pm
Message 5 of 6
CmdrKeene
Tutor

Just to close the loop here, I ended up taking it back since it couldn't be resolved. Due to family matters I haven't had time to setup a replacement so for now that's where it stands.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7