Reply

Router Login is Bypassing Login Window & Going Straight into Settings

rhnh
Luminary

Router Login is Bypassing Login Window & Going Straight into Settings

I've read here about other Netgear models having similar problems in the past... I just installed a CAX80 modem/router this week and was prompted to upgrade the firmware to version V1.1.0.41, so I did. After changing the factory password and both network passwords I logged out. The first time I revisited the site it asked for my login information and let me in, but on subsequent attempts the login window doesn't appear and it simply lets me in without entering any credentials. I have a MBP and am using Safari with Macos 10.15.6. I have a 2nd user account on the laptop. That account always requires the router login, but, again, my own user account never does. Chrome also requires the login on another laptop. I've tried a hard reset of the CAX80 to no avail. So far Netgear and Apple agents have drawn a blank. Does anyone else have this problem or know of a possible fix?

 

Thanks in Advance

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
rhnh
Luminary

Re: Router Login is Bypassing Login Window & Going Straight into Settings

Thank you Michael for trying to help me. We seem to be having a symantics disconnect. Mac computers are even more secure than PC's and they always demand a login too, which is the reason for my concern. I've never authorized the router login to remember me. The test user account I set up on my Mac takes me straight to the router password prompt every time, but my own account isn't.

 

However, I have found something reassuring... If I wait for a period of time (a matter of minutes) after logging out, my user account will require password entry before I go back in. So it seems to forget me with a certain passage of time, even though the test account requires no passage of time. This makes me feel better.

 

Being that others on this community have experienced this same issue with other Netgear routers, I believe this is a Netgear rather than an Apple problem. When I first sat up the CAX80, it immediately had me download and install a new firmware version. Other Netgear owners who have experienced this issue have mentioned it happening after new firmware installs and that the problem was solved, in some instances, by reinstalling the prior firmware and doing a hard reset. I tried the reset, but was unable to do a firmware reinstall because CAX80 firmware doesn't appear on Netgear's download center. I guess that's because the CAX80 is brand new and the firmware isn't showing up yet.

 

No matter now. I'm happy knowing that the password is being required after a few minutes of waiting. Perhaps with the next firmware update the issue will go away altogether.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies

Re: Router Login is Bypassing Login Window & Going Straight into Settings


@rhnh wrote:

I've read here about other Netgear models having similar problems in the past...

 

 


Care you point us in the right direction? It might help us to understand your problem.

 


@rhnh wrote:

The first time I revisited the site it asked for my login information and let me in, but on subsequent attempts the login window doesn't appear and it simply lets me in without entering any credentials.

 

 


What is "the site"?

 

Bypassed logins usually track back to the browser remembering the credentials.

 

But how are you logging in? What address do you aim at?

 

Then again, I do not understand what you mean by "user accounts". That's not something that Netgear goes in for.  Unless you are talking about wifi, which is yet another complication.

 

I guess it comes down to me not understanding what you are doing and what you are logging into.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 8
rhnh
Luminary

Re: Router Login is Bypassing Login Window & Going Straight into Settings

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm talking about my router gateway When I say router "site." I'm talking about where I access my router settings after typing 192.168.1.1 into the browser's URL. When I do this it's not sending me to the the login page to verify my credentials. Instead, it take's me straight into my settings, negating the security that the password is meant to insure.

 

As far as user accounts, that's exactly what I mean - my administrative user account on my Mac. Like I said, I created a 2nd administrative account on my Mac to see if the same login situation would exist with it, but in this "test" user account the gateway login functioned as it should - the login window requires the credentials everytime I login in. Again, both of these accounts are on the same device, my Mac laptop. Also, whenever it try logging into my router gateway on one of my other laptops, such as PC with Chrome it requires my login password to enter.

 

Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 8

Re: Router Login is Bypassing Login Window & Going Straight into Settings


@rhnh wrote:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm talking about my router gateway When I say router "site." I'm talking about where I access my router settings after typing 192.168.1.1 into the browser's URL. When I do this it's not sending me to the the login page to verify my credentials. Instead, it take's me straight into my settings, negating the security that the password is meant to insure.

 

That's not a "site" as most people understand it. It is not somewhere in the outside world. It is the graphical user interface (GUI) for your router. That's important because it puts your security issues into perspective. It is local. There can't be many people who have enough access to your on network to reach that page.

 

It also comes back to the browser and its settings. Have you told your browser to remember passwords? Most can these days.

 

Try a different browser on the same machine.

 

I still don't understand this bit:

 


@rhnh wrote:

As far as user accounts, that's exactly what I mean - my administrative user account on my Mac.

 


That sounds like a Mac thing that has nothing to do with your router or even the network.

 

My experience is with Windows. (I'm too mean to buy Macs and like to control my own life.) User accounts there have sweet nothing to do with the router. There can be network accounts but again these have nothing to do with the router. Is that how Macs work too?

 


@rhnh wrote:

Also, whenever it try logging into my router gateway on one of my other laptops, such as PC with Chrome it requires my login password to enter.

 

 


 

Yet another clue that the router has nothing to do with your issue. Windows and Chrome demand a password. Mac and Safari let you in. Which do you think is the culprit? The router or the Mac?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 8
rhnh
Luminary

Re: Router Login is Bypassing Login Window & Going Straight into Settings

Thank you Michael for trying to help me. We seem to be having a symantics disconnect. Mac computers are even more secure than PC's and they always demand a login too, which is the reason for my concern. I've never authorized the router login to remember me. The test user account I set up on my Mac takes me straight to the router password prompt every time, but my own account isn't.

 

However, I have found something reassuring... If I wait for a period of time (a matter of minutes) after logging out, my user account will require password entry before I go back in. So it seems to forget me with a certain passage of time, even though the test account requires no passage of time. This makes me feel better.

 

Being that others on this community have experienced this same issue with other Netgear routers, I believe this is a Netgear rather than an Apple problem. When I first sat up the CAX80, it immediately had me download and install a new firmware version. Other Netgear owners who have experienced this issue have mentioned it happening after new firmware installs and that the problem was solved, in some instances, by reinstalling the prior firmware and doing a hard reset. I tried the reset, but was unable to do a firmware reinstall because CAX80 firmware doesn't appear on Netgear's download center. I guess that's because the CAX80 is brand new and the firmware isn't showing up yet.

 

No matter now. I'm happy knowing that the password is being required after a few minutes of waiting. Perhaps with the next firmware update the issue will go away altogether.

Message 5 of 8

Re: Router Login is Bypassing Login Window & Going Straight into Settings


@rhnh wrote:

 

Perhaps with the next firmware update the issue will go away altogether.

 


Don't hold your breath. It isnlt going to happen.

 

The CAX80 is a cable modem/router. Netgear does not, and cannot, supply firmware updates.

 

What’s the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router? | Answer | NETGEAR Sup...

 

If your firmware is outdated, you cannot manually upgrade your cable modem’s or modem router’s firmware. You must contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to upgrade your firmware.

 

You say that you originally had to download new firmware, this throws up even more questions about your understanding and description of what is going on.

 

CAX80 | Cable Modems and Routers | NETGEAR Support

 

See any firmware there?

 

Heaven only knows what you downloaded. Maybe it came from your ISP. It won't have been from Netgear.

 


@rhnh wrote:

Being that others on this community have experienced this same issue with other Netgear routers, I believe this is a Netgear rather than an Apple problem.

 


Without a link to the other messages, vague comments like that are not much help. Problems with routers, there maybe, that is what this place is for, but nothing that new firmware will fix on a cable modem/router.

 

None said it was an Apple problem. But it probably isn't a Netgear one either.

 

Finally, you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Cable Modems & Routers


Any messages that you read in this part of the Community are unlikely to be related to your CAX80.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 8
rhnh
Luminary

Re: Router Login is Bypassing Login Window & Going Straight into Settings

Michael, you are wrong. The CAX80 is different from past modem/routers. It has separate router firmware updates supplied by Netgear. I updated to the most recent version Vi.i.0.41 after being prompted by Netgear over the Gateway upon setup. Those router versions (there are now two) are not yet showing up on the Download Center because the CAX80 is brand new and Netgear has yet to make the firmware available there, I've talked to them about it. The CAX80 also has modem firmware, separate from it's router firmware, that is automatically installed and periodically updated by the ISP.

 

If the router firmware had been available on the Download Center, like it should have been from the start, I could have reinstalled it before I did the reset and perhaps there wouldn't have been the need for this series of posts in the first place.

 

So there you have the facts. I'm glad I was able to learn these things for myself inspite of the help others were trying to give. So let's move on shall we.

 

 

Message 7 of 8

Re: Router Login is Bypassing Login Window & Going Straight into Settings


@rhnh wrote:

Michael, you are wrong. The CAX80 is different from past modem/routers.

 


That is not what it says on the support pages for the CAX80. I went to  check.

 

It clearly says there:

 


Firmware upgrades are pushed down by your ISP. For more information, please see our Knowledge Base

 

Then again it would not surprise me if Netgear had wrong information on its support pages. It has happened before. Someone probably copied the boilerplate text for cable modems.

 

I will alert the Netgear support people to the misinformation that their support pages are peddling.

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2446 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E